Bird Doggin'

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
Sunday I got my ride/stick time in the L19 I decorated recently... didn't do much other than hold heading and alt, with occasional heading changes, but it was a blast just to go up in it. Dinged-up[ Korean War-vet airplane, windows open, hand signals 'cuz there's no intercom... almost as old-timey as a biplane flight.
Low passes and steep pullups over Jugtown and VanSant, wingovers, balloon-chasing, ridge-hugging... it was fun, and what a perfect day, late in the afternoon when the air calmed down!!

Both of my nose art "victims" in one place... :D

attachment.php

Low pass over the Jugtown Mtn. strip-

attachment.php

Checking out a balloon...

attachment.php

Crusing along the north edge of Round Valley Res.

attachment.php

I'm owed a little more time for that paintjob, and the owner sez he wants me to decorate another nearly-identical Bird Dog in his fleet (to be paid for with more stick time). I think I might make the next one a smiley shark, instead of an angry shark...:D

And oh yeah, I ended the day with a Breezy ride... :D

attachment.php

I didn't get to fly the 2-33 at all Sunday, but I didn't mind... :D

Attachments

• rot0830090101.JPG
    rot0830090101.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 188
  • rot0830090105.JPG
    rot0830090105.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 185
  • rot0830090204.JPG
    rot0830090204.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 186
  • rot0830090205.JPG
    rot0830090205.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 185
  • rot0830090304.JPG
    rot0830090304.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 186
I was one of the few (if not only!) Civil Air Patrol cadets checked out in the Bird Dog. Even after some thirty years, it's one of my favorite airplanes.

Ron Wanttaja

Great Pics!!

Do that still does CAP still fly the L19's? I'm a new CAP Member so I hope thay still do.

Great Pics! I was up around Mid-day to 3pm,... and it was a little choppy and bumpy. The evening smoothed out great, glad you got to enjoy some low-n-slow flying.

What a crappy day.

Very cool...I dig the flying cap
Pretty important with the Breezy- keeps the goggles and headset on. Should they come off, they are going into the prop... not a good thing.
I flew on that Breezy once with nothing at all on my head- it was fun, but pretty hard to see anything. The wind blast made my eyes wiggle in separate directions! :D

Great Pics!!

Do that still does CAP still fly the L19's? I'm a new CAP Member so I hope thay still do.
No idea... but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some CAP sqdrns. still flying Bird Dogs- there are still a lot of them flying.

We have another resident Dog at 47N in addition to the two banner-tow L19s... and that tow operation also has another L19 that is sometimes seen here.

id be surprised if the CAP still has L19s.

Nice green areas for flying.. where is that again?
Looking for retirement location with no snow.

Nice green areas for flying.. where is that again?
Looking for retirement location with no snow.
No snow? LOL, you would be sorry if you retired to northern NJ... :D Looks lovely in these pics, but remember, it's summertime.
;)

In winter, it gets cold as heck and there's usually plenty of snow!

Yep...great pics and looks like an excellent plane..maybe I should fly 71D with the windows open next time :) ...Sunday was kinda bumpy, but a great day to fly. Looks like you had fun!

I saw a nice "bird dog" in a museum at the Fargo airshow and according to their information thousands were made but only about 200 are still flying. I hope most are well taken care of. Would be a shame to lose that great aircraft.

Rick

No snow? LOL, you would be sorry if you retired to northern NJ... :D Looks lovely in these pics, but remember, it's summertime.
;)

In winter, it gets cold as heck and there's usually plenty of snow!

8 years in Maine, Blizzard of 68
6 years in New Hampshire, Blizzard of 78
4 years and 5 winters in Grand Forks ND, -40F with -95F wind chill
4 years in Rapid City SD, same wind chill

14 years in the desert south west... My blood has thinned and I'm spoiled.
Fly year round without having to use preheat on the engine or scrape the ice away from hanger doors, or slip and fall pushing a heavy airplane across ice ramp.

But I do like to see green from time to time.. guess I'll be one of those retired Snow Birds and complete the seasonal migration.

8 years in Maine, Blizzard of 68
6 years in New Hampshire, Blizzard of 78
4 years and 5 winters in Grand Forks ND, -40F with -95F wind chill
4 years in Rapid City SD, same wind chill

14 years in the desert south west... My blood has thinned and I'm spoiled.
Fly year round without having to use preheat on the engine or scrape the ice away from hanger doors, or slip and fall pushing a heavy airplane across ice ramp.

But I do like to see green from time to time.. guess I'll be one of those retired Snow Birds and complete the seasonal migration.

Or move to the southeast... warm and green (but often wet).

Back