Bill S

Let'sgoflying! said:
did you know the Commander in jct, from yesterday? :(

Didn't realize it was a Commander... I heard about the incident, though.

An airline pilot from Georgia, I think.

No word yet as to the reason, though it was hot and there were storms out in that direction, I believe.

Update & further thoughts:

Dave, have you flown out of JCT?

Radar showed some stuff near there around that time. Isolated cell east, big bunch of stuff north. Still should have been OK, though. I was watching the weather closely because I took my plane up to Tyler Wed. morning - there was a pretty good layer, though I was on top at 11,000.

If you've never been to Junction, the airport sits in a hole, and there is a hill to the NW and a ridge to the south that you have to watch carefully. Lose climb rate, and it can be tricky. The hill to the NW is about 400' above runway elevation at about 3 - 3.5 miles from the runway, although the (GPS) instrument approach procedure keeps you at 1500' above the runway at 4 miles.

1500', 4 nm, 100 kts is about 700' per minute climb rate. 400' in 3 miles at 100 kts is 200' per minute climb rate just to clear the terrain - it was hot (28c) - with density altitude of 3800' (the plane was non-turbocharged), if he was heavy and the gear didn't come up...

Here's the aerial photo: http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=14&Z=14&X=133&Y=1055&W=2&qs=|Junction|Texas
And the topo map: http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=14&Z=14&X=133&Y=1055&W=2&qs=|Junction|Texas

The Junction VOR is on top of one of the hills NW of the airport. He was IFR, so the clearance would have been to the VOR, then out.

I don't like going out of there to the north. Going out to the south is a little better, though I like to turn and head down the valley as I climb out. When I do Junction, it's short-field procedure.

Really sad to see this happen. I'll be looking for the NTSB report.

bill

FAA Notice:
********************************************************************************
** Report created 7/29/2005 Record 1 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 1029J Make/Model: AC11 Description: 112 COMMANDER 112
Date: 07/27/2005 Time: 1545

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
ACFT ON DEPARTURE, CRASHED, THE TWO PERSONS ON BOARD WERE FATALLY INJURED,
3 NW OF JUNCTION, TX

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: &a mp;n bsp; 0 Unk:

WEATHER: METAR 271551Z AUTO 04007KT 7SM FEW024 28/21 A3009

OTHER DATA

Departed: JUNCTION, TX Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: JUNCTION, TX Flt Plan: IFR Wx Briefing: Y
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance: ATC NLT 1550

FAA FSDO: SAN ANTONIO, TX (SW17) Entry date: 07/28/2005

----------------
News Article:
----------------
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA072805.planecrash.en.1a06d36f.html

NEW: Harper couple killed in crash of small plane
Web Posted: 07/28/2005 08:45 AM CDT

Zeke MacCormack
Express-News Staff Writer

Friends of Ronald and Helen DeLoof today mourned the Harper couple killed Wednesday when their small plane crashed shortly after leaving the Kimble County Airport.

"They were very popular people," Bill Davis, airport manager, said today. "Everybody out here's upset. I'm getting calls about every five minutes."

Ronald M. DeLoof, 56-year-old a pilot for Delta Airlines, was at the controls of the 1973 Aero Commander that clipped tree tops after the 10:30 a.m. lift off and crashed beside U.S. 83 about five miles north of Junction, according to the report by Department of Public Safety Trooper Adam Sweaney.

Helen J. DeLoof, 54, taught part-time at the Harper school district.

"It's a hard loss," said Pari Whitten, Harper superintendent. "She substituted for us several years and was just a great person."

Both victims were pronounced dead at the scene, about one mile from the airport that Davis said hadn't had a crash in at least 30 years.

Last edited:
yes Ive fueled at jct many times, they used to have an old hound that would greet everyone.
Didn't know the pilot/owner but thought you might being in a small group of owners like me.

Let'sgoflying! said:
yes Ive fueled at jct many times, they used to have an old hound that would greet everyone.
Didn't know the pilot/owner but thought you might being in a small group of owners like me.

The owner just joined the Owner's Group this month. We hadn't had the chance to meet him yet.

Airline pilot, too. I sure hope he did the DA calculation.

Back