Bill J's new wheels.

Bill:

Thought you might be willing to give up the bike for this!

http://www.krld.com/pages/37779.php?contentType=4&contentId=144871

Best,

Dave

Let's see, trade my nice, quick, nimble bike for an armored tank. Nah. But, that flames out the sides thing looks interesting. :D

Side story:

All motorcycles have a kill switch on the handlebar, and on older carb bikes the switch killed the ignition only.

So, back in the day, if I was being tailgated, I'd go on and off the gas, and look at the side of the bike as if something was wrong with the engine. About half of the tailgaters would back off at that point. Those that didn't got a special treat.

With the engine spinning at decent revs, hit the kill switch, and open the throttle a good bit. The engine, still being driven by the driveline, is still a fine air pump, and carbs do what they do regardless of ignition position. So, that air pump would fill the entire exhaust system with a nice fully combustible fuel/air mixture.

Flick the kill switch back on, and KA-BOOM, a sound somewhere between small arms fire and a cannon shot depending on the pipe. And, a nice 5ft flame out the back for good meaure. Especially interesting at night.:lightning:

Tailgaters would almost lock'em'up and would stay waaaay back after that...

Sadly, my BMW is fuel injected, and the kill switch kills the fuel injectors as well. :(

Let's see, trade my nice, quick, nimble bike for an armored tank. Nah. But, that flames out the sides thing looks interesting. :D

Side story:

All motorcycles have a kill switch on the handlebar, and on older carb bikes the switch killed the ignition only.

So, back in the day, if I was being tailgated, I'd go on and off the gas, and look at the side of the bike as if something was wrong with the engine. About half of the tailgaters would back off at that point. Those that didn't got a special treat.

With the engine spinning at decent revs, hit the kill switch, and open the throttle a good bit. The engine, still being driven by the driveline, is still a fine air pump, and carbs do what they do regardless of ignition position. So, that air pump would fill the entire exhaust system with a nice fully combustible fuel/air mixture.

Flick the kill switch back on, and KA-BOOM, a sound somewhere between small arms fire and a cannon shot depending on the pipe. And, a nice 5ft flame out the back for good meaure. Especially interesting at night.:lightning:

Sadly, my BMW is fuel injected, and the kill switch kills the fuel injectors as well. :(

Well, I didn't really think you'd give up your bike for this, but it was a pretty distinctive set of wheels!

Best,

Dave

but it was a pretty distinctive set of wheels!

When I want distinctive I roll around in this '60 Plymouth Savoy. Purchased new by my great aunt in Festus, MO, it has been passed down thru various family members and is now my car. She's a sweet ride!

Attachments

• 107-0760_IMG.JPG
    107-0760_IMG.JPG
    706.7 KB · Views: 18
Beautiful car(the Plymouth).The tail-gating sequence reminded me of my high school days when Dad had the first of the two Austin-Healeys. The vehicle was low to the pavement; and when the tail-gater continued to follow with high-beams I could adjust the glare-shield rear-view mirror which was darned close to the height of the follower's headlights. I'd know when I'd hit the right arc back to the follower's eyes because there would be a simultaneous low-beam and a distance fall-back. It was a quiet movement, but effective.

HR

The vehicle was low to the pavement; and when the tail-gater continued to follow with high-beams I could adjust the glare-shield rear-view mirror which was darned close to the height of the follower's headlights. I'd know when I'd hit the right arc back to the follower's eyes because there would be a simultaneous low-beam and a distance fall-back. It was a quiet movement, but effective.

Genius! I love it!

Works in an airplane too. Although it's a great way to blow the exhaust apart.

Although it's a great way to blow the exhaust apart.

I've seen motorcyclists with cheaper aftermarket exhaust systems blow the cans right off their bikes doing this. Most of the OEM stuff is very robust and won't be damaged.

I've seen motorcyclists with cheaper aftermarket exhaust systems blow the cans right off their bikes doing this. Most of the OEM stuff is very robust and won't be damaged.

... and you'll recall that in "the old days," the throttle on the right and manual "spark retard" on the left(unless you were driving an Indian, the trick was to retard/advance the spark, thereby creating the very audible pow-pow-bang-bang to salute the neighbors.

HR

I could adjust the glare-shield rear-view mirror

The 'mouth has a dash mounted rear view as well, must have been the fashion at the time.

Attachments

• 107-0768_IMG.JPG
    107-0768_IMG.JPG
    587.1 KB · Views: 7
Back