Bill Gates loses position as World's Richest Man

Those doggone Mexicans, they really are taking our jobs! Even Bill Gates' job as world's richest man isn't safe.

I thought Bill Gates dropped out of the lead position years ago, falling below the Sultan of Brunei... I remember somebody starting up a mock web-based fund-raising campaign, striking up a collection on behalf of Bill Gates to help him out.
-harry

Ironic isn't it, the richest man comes from a country who is hemorrhaging poor people (into ours...).

I heard about him a year and a half ago - he may have been number 3 at the time, I can't recall - I knew he was moving up though!

Of course, as with everything, it's all on paper. Recent stock surges put Mr. Slim in the lead. Personally I figured Bill G. would have the spot until the day he died, but I guess not.

An article I was reading said that Bill's been giving away an awful lot of money and that's why he was stagnant in his net worth, same with Mr. Buffet.

Still, I'd settle with a million, or even 100K rather than having 60+ billion. Though it'd be nice... no worries about user fees then. :D

I thought Bill Gates dropped out of the lead position years ago, falling below the Sultan of Brunei... I remember somebody starting up a mock web-based fund-raising campaign, striking up a collection on behalf of Bill Gates to help him out.
-harry

IIRC they have no accurate measure of his net worth, because it is intrinsically governmental versus the al Saud's which is almost all from investments / etc.

We'll see if Slim can hold onto it. A few pen strokes by a suddenly anti-captialist leader in Mexico could destroy a large portion of Slim's wealth.

Cheers,

-Andrew

IIRC they have no accurate measure of his net worth, because it is intrinsically governmental versus the al Saud's which is almost all from investments / etc.

We'll see if Slim can hold onto it. A few pen strokes by a suddenly anti-captialist leader in Mexico could destroy a large portion of Slim's wealth.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Heh, that could have happened to Gates, with the antitrust action. Slim has been super rich for a long time. These folks know how to hold onto it.

Back