Bike the Drive

The summit is 5,506', and the grade averages 17%.

It's absolutely ridiculous.

Holy crap! :hairraise: You ain't kiddin'!

I made it to the top, and it took awhile to recover enough to ride back down.

I was very impressed by the guy I saw ride all the way up Loveland Pass last week. Summit: 11,990 feet. (I figure the top 3.5' of the truck made it above 12,000. :D) And after he stopped to breathe for a couple of minutes, he put on wind pants and a jacket and turned around. Not much to the descent, as long as you have really good brakes! :hairraise:

Holy crap! :hairraise: You ain't kiddin'!

No -- it's the hardest single road I've climbed up -- and I've done Manuyunk Wall many times, many mountain rides in WV, NC, and NY. And we rode a tandem from Williamsport to Altoona (about the hardest way to ride across PA).

I was very impressed by the guy I saw ride all the way up Loveland Pass last week. Summit: 11,990 feet. (I figure the top 3.5' of the truck made it above 12,000. :D) And after he stopped to breathe for a couple of minutes, he put on wind pants and a jacket and turned around. Not much to the descent, as long as you have really good brakes! :hairraise:

Yeah -- you don't want to rest too long on the summit or you get COLD -- and then REALLY COLD on the way down!!

Back