Big winds last night...

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
...took down a bunch of trees at my house. I spent most of the morning clearing a bunch of downed trees off my stairway to the lake. One of the downed trees was a 150+ ft cottonwood which caused a lot of collateral damage to other trees on it's way down. The cottonwood didn't break, it was uprooted leaving a 5 ft deep crater. Given that it's about 4 ft in diameter I'm going to leave that one to the pros. For now I'll have to crawl under it to get down the steps. The wind also flipped my sailboat off it's lift and into the water but there's no apparent damage. It also broke my water tramp loose from it's anchor and deposited it upside down on a neighbor's shore. I got the tramp back but finding the anchor is going to be tough.

The power went out for about 8 hours but I was able to get my generator running after I got up and surveyed the damages. And speaking of damages, I managed to hurt myself slightly in the process when I walked out on my neighbor's dock to get a better view of my stuff before I cleared out the trees from the stairway. The wind had blown away some of his dock decking so I recovered a couple of the missing sections and put them back in place. Then as I stepped from the last section I had replaced onto one that was still there, I broke through and ended up standing in the water with my bathrobe on. The injury was an abraision/gouge on my right pectoral muscle. It hurt pretty bad at first but it's already gotten to the point that I don't feel it unless I touch it with something. I did sting pretty bad when I got it wet in the shower, but hopefully that won't keep me from skiing since my national tournament is just a week away.

On the plus side, I now have a much better view of the lake which had been significantly blocked by trees in the summer and my wife was opposed to removing said obstruction.

My anemometer recorded a 71 mph gust at 4am, I assume that's when the trees blew over. Three of my neighbors had their boat lift canopies shredded and/or blown off, one looks like the frame even bent.

I don't know if my airport saw similar winds but it's possible and I'll be heading over there this afternoon to check things out. My planes should be save since they were in a very sturdy hangar.

Glad things aren't too bad. 70 mph and up can get very destructive.

I went to the airport (KFCM) today and while my hangar is fine the roof blew off the one right next to mine. And portions of that roof damaged at least three other hangars that were downwind of it, one at least a hundred yards away. In addition there were two planes that were flipped over. One was a 152 and it's tail is completely broken off. I think that might have happened when the plane was righted which was done in haste because it was leaking fuel all over the ramp. The other was a Tri-Pacer and it doesn't look too bad but it's still upside down with the tail in the air. Both planes were left outside without being tied down!

My only problem at the hangar is the power is out due to wire damage from the neighbor's roof. My wires are OK but the feed is shut down because the wires to the roofless hangar are down and come from the same transformer. I'm concerned that the problem may not be fixed by Monday afternoon when I need to fly my daughter to camp. Worst case is that I'll have to reconfigure for manual operation which probably only takes 15-30 minutes.

Sounds like a mess. I'm glad no one seemed to be injured.
Is this an unusual time of year to get such high winds there?

Wow! Lance I'm glad you and yours and your airplanes are OK. Hope you aren't still sore by the time you get to the tournament.

yikes lance that sucks. Im down in Bloomington this weekend and slept right through the monster storm last night. Leahs folks have some branches down in the back yard, including a big limb. the neighborhood is covered in downed trees and whatnot.

yikes lance that sucks. Im down in Bloomington this weekend and slept right through the monster storm last night. Leahs folks have some branches down in the back yard, including a big limb. the neighborhood is covered in downed trees and whatnot.

When are you going back? I can't remember if you ever got a chance to fly the Porterfield but I don't think you have and I'm sure you'd enjoy it. I'm around all day but probably skiing this morning, and I need an excuse to go flying today.

im not sure when ill depart, sometime this afternoon. Im not sure if Ill have time to fly or not. I dont have your number, ill PM you mine. I have not flown the Porterfield.

Back