Big Dogs and wood floors

I've got the 3/4" traditional stained white oak, Bona finished/maintained. Satin gloss, and its tough as a basketball court. Ten years with a 165 lb Newfoundland that loved to lie on the A/C vents even when damp from being in the lake did not faze it. She did more damage scratching on the sliding glass door wanting to come inside...Maintain the claws- good advice.

The cat, on the other hand, is single-handedly destroying my baseboards in a couple of places. Wife keeps the thing alive by assuring me the critter will be declawed soon. I'm waiting patiently. And thinking about steel baseboards.

Your cat is telling you where the pests are living.

I install all the hard wood floors in my projects, I have my own floor sander too......:yes:..

Best product by far is the Bona line....

This stuff is just about bulletproof...

http://www.bona.com/en-US/United-States1/BonaSystem/Coatings/Finishes/Bona-Traffic-HD---New/

Interesting you should say that. We did the floors at the old place in that stuff, and it was great... But the price tag always made me wonder if we had gotten ripped off. Haha.

Seeing someone else say they liked the results, makes me feel better about that particular decision, almost a decade ago. :)

We did the slightly more glossy than satin finish, and it held up extremely well. We on,y had to lightly sand and reapply once after that, seven or eight years later. Then we moved. :)

Might look into the Waterlox line of tung oil products. We've used it on our heart-of-pine floors with three big dogs and holding up well. They also market a marine outdoor product.
Doesn't just coat the wood but seems to permeate it.
Used in the Presidential Conference Room in DC, the Dept of State bldg, and a bunch of historic restorations w solid wood floors.

I lived in a place in Key West with Purpleheart floors. That stuff was difficult to ding. Epitong would probably be good for big dogs as well.
Purpleheart is hard to do anything with.
I built a toolbox, and dashboard/instrument panel for a Model A speedster out of Purpleheart. It was beautiful against the cherry floor, and black finish on the metal parts.

Back