Big dogs and small planes

Tummler

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tummler
I am currently working on getting my PPL and am also at the very beginning of my quest to identify what would be an ideal plane for my mission going forward, either to buy or to make arrangements to rent on a regular basis. On a high proportion of my flights, my two decent sized dogs will be passengers. My search is limited to 4 or 6 seat piston singles.

I can use the search function just fine, and I have already spent countless hours reading "what should I buy" threads. As such, I don't see much purpose rehashing topics that have already been beaten to death, but there hasn't been much said about the topic a big dog's ingress and egress from small planes. In the the interest of staying on topic, this is the only aspect I am considering at this point, since I suspect it will greatly limit my options and it makes sense to me to start my analysis with the variables that will eliminate the most possibilities.

One of my dogs is 110 lbs and the other is 70 lbs. Both are mobile, but the larger dog is getting older and has lost a step or two. I too have lost a step or two (I am in my late 30s) but I can carry the big guy without much trouble. However, it seems like it is asking for trouble to frequently carry a 110 lbs dog while climbing onto a wing (possibly during inclement weather) and then into a plane.

An obvious place to start is high-wing planes (i.e., Cessnas) and planes with large double doors aft of the wings (e.g., a Bo). Given my lack of experience, I am hesitant to consider the latter type of plane at this time.

How about planes that require people and pets to climb on the wing? I have Philip Greenspun's recounting of his trips and he flew everywhere with his dog in a DA40, so I suppose at least one person made that work. By the way, for all you dog lovers, I highly recommend Greenspun's article that is homage to his dog that died.

I am interested in hearing anything anyone has to say on this topic. I realize there are other considerations when flying with animals, such as oxygen and noise, but those topics have already been covered at length.

All I can tell you is I haul around a 80Lb older black lab in my Bo. I have a small plastic step that I put down behind the wing, and he hops right up. I can use the same plastic step inside the rear floor area for him to get to the back seat, but most times he'll just hop across the gap and settle in.

Once the dog understands what the step stool is for, they associate it with getting in the plane and it's no problem. The first few times he was hesitant, but a few reps and he got the process real easy. Getting out is basically the same.

No offense meant to the Cessna but I can't imagine how getting a big dog in a Cessna would be easier. Unless they can make the leap from the ground, around the gear leg, through the small door, and into the back seat, or front seat and then be able to climb over. Maybe a Cardinal with a step stool and the pass seat all the way forward? Most big dogs aren't real good jumpers.

Kasier - my 100lb 7yr old Boxer mix hops up on the wing walk and into the back seat of the Comanche. He knows not to walk on the painted part of the wing. As doc said, if/when they lose a step, a stool to let them up on the wing will work.

All I can tell you is I haul around a 80Lb older black lab in my Bo. I have a small plastic step that I put down behind the wing, and he hops right up. I can use the same plastic step inside the rear floor area for him to get to the back seat, but most times he'll just hop across the gap and settle in.

Once the dog understands what the step stool is for, they associate it with getting in the plane and it's no problem. The first few times he was hesitant, but a few reps and he got the process real easy. Getting out is basically the same.

No offense meant to the Cessna but I can't imagine how getting a big dog in a Cessna would be easier. Unless they can make the leap from the ground, around the gear leg, through the small door, and into the back seat, or front seat and then be able to climb over. Maybe a Cardinal with a step stool and the pass seat all the way forward? Most big dogs aren't real good jumpers.

I've been wondering about that myself. I have two 80# English Labs and have been wondering how that would work in the Cutlass that I rent. It doesn't seem that easy to me.

Is your Bo a 36 with a big back door, or do you bring your dogs through the main door where they would sit in the back seat?

With a Cessna, I envision simply picking the dog up and placing him in the plane. If I happen to buy a Cessna, I could see myself taking on a weekend project of building a little wooden staircase or ramp of some sort form them to use.

It's not necessarily the picking up of the dog that bothers me. It is the picking up and carrying while walking on a wing that causes me some concern. From a risk management perspective, I likely could do this hundreds of times without issue, but awkwardly carrying a 100+lbs dog while climbing onto a less than ideal surface seems to increase the the risk of a substantial injury to a point I would rather avoid.

Does anyone have any experience with letting a god walk on a wing? Assuming the dog is not too skittish, I could see this possibly working, but again, it seems like it would be asking for trouble, if not for myself, than for my dog.

Most big dogs aren't real good jumpers

Our 70 lbs dog is a leaping fool! I watched him easily clear a 4 foot fence jumping from a standstill. As for our other dog, he isn't jumping anywhere, though he has no problem climbing.

Last edited:
Do you want them to fit in the back seat(s) or in a crate?

Doesn't much matter to me. They are both crate trained, and don't mind spending time in the crate, though crating them would likely require two large crates.

Baxter, 120 lb. Bloodhound rides nicely in the back of the Twin Comanche. Loads through the baggage door.

Attachments

• IMG_20140613_193530679_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140613_193530679_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20140615_161548430_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140615_161548430_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 58

Buddy, my 90# shepherd mutt, has logged over 250 hours in my 182. Slide the seat forward say "road trip" and he just hops right in. There's no "around the gear leg" or "through a small door" to consider. He stands inside the gear leg and the opening is quite ample.

Even an older, less mobile dog should be able to easily get their front end up into a Cessna and then have their butt lifted in by the owner.

I kept the backseat out of my 182 when I was working and Buddy simply laid down on the floor behind me. Now he sits on the seat.

Last edited:
Well, I see plenty of blow back. Some 70lb dogs are great jumpers, provided they have the frame structure for it. Other breeds not so much. Really didn't think I'd need to explain this in such great detail.

As for Cessna egress, I take it all back, I was fool, should have never utter the name, and I apologize unreservedly.

Buh bye.

@docmirror I haven't lurked in a while, so there may be some ongoing board drama I am not aware of, but based solely on what people have said in this thread, I didn't think anyone was giving blowback or being confrontational. When it comes to dogs and small children, it's damn hard to predict what will and will not work until you try it.

Last edited:
I have both a small folding step for people to get in & out of the cherokee a bit more easily. I haven't thought of the ramp before, but since I fly Pilots n Paws, I should look into one. It's very easy to pull the front seat forward then fold it down and the dog easily gets in the back seat or crate.

One of my first Pilots N Paws flights was a 90 lbs St. Bernard going #MountainPetRescue via Amarillo. Aircraft was a 1975 Cessna 182.

I thought I was gonna have difficulties loading him because he was not used to an airplane. Worries were for naught. As soon as I opened the baggage door and got out of the way, he hopped right in. I had another smaller dog to be back there, and the both were comfortable for the entire flight in that space. No fuss or mess.

For two dogs of the OP's description, just about any 4-place P or C aircraft of decent load capacity will suit just find.

I take one seat out of our Sundowner just to give more room for our 110lb Italian mastiff. Sadly our girl passed but our new pup, an American mastiff settles right in and sleeps.
CM+3.19.10+002.jpg

our new pup

Ziva+flying+1yr.JPG

Last edited:
Having loaded an 85-lb flatcoated retriever and a 110-lb lab into light planes, I'm here to tell you that there is no substitute for a big back door like that on the PA32-series, Cessna 206, and Beech 36's. I do OK loading through the canopy of a Grumman AA-5x with the back seat folded flat, but that's about my limit.

Back