Big Change for KSAT San Antonio TX

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
March 2 was a Big day for KSAT.
They changed the numbers on their parallel runways from 12/30 to 13/31.
Every one of the their instrument procedures has changed.

Oh, that. I though you were referring to Texas Independence Day yesterday.

Actually, only 13L opened yesterday. 13R not due until 4/3. Here's the e-mail I got in response to my query about all the work:

Thank you for your inquiry;
Runway 12R is currently closed for construction work both along the sides and to adjoining taxiways J & N. We are also in the process of upgrading the wiring on the runway centerline lights. Additionally we are changing the Magnetic Variation designation to 13R/31L effective FAA Chart Date 02MAR2017. Rwy 13R/31L will reopen 03APR2017 upon the completion of the work.

Runway 12L/30R is closed to effect the Magnetic variation change to 13L/31R effective 02MAR2017 and will reopen by 1700 CST on 02MAR2017.

I trust this answers your questions, if you have any further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Robert A. VanBurg C.M.
Airport Operations Manager
San Antonio International Airport

Sent from my iPhone

Wait ... WHAT?
The two (of 3) rwys have been closed for weeks (and will be for weeks to come) only to repaint the numbers?
Sheesh, they are using the wrong contractors. My Mesken guys can do it overnight. Do you want their #? :D

No, seriously, that's just crazy if they are only repainting the numbers. I was there last weekend, lots of equipment around and NOBODY working. Nothing being done. Nothing to show for the closure. Rwy still there and untouched. Our tax dollars hard(ly) at work.

So they'll leave 04/22 unchanged? Or will they close it for months to repaint those numbers later?

Wait ... WHAT?
The two (of 3) rwys have been closed for weeks (and will be for weeks to come) only to repaint the numbers?
Sheesh, they are using the wrong contractors. My Mesken guys can do it overnight. Do you want their #? :D

No, seriously, that's just crazy if they are only repainting the numbers. I was there last weekend, lots of equipment around and NOBODY working. Nothing being done. Nothing to show for the closure. Rwy still there and untouched. Our tax dollars hard(ly) at work.

So they'll leave 04/22 unchanged? Or will they close it for months to repaint those numbers later?

No. Read the post above. Other work being done on 13R. 13L only closed for a few days for the repainting. 3/21 changed to 4/22 last year.

No. Read the post above. Other work being done on 13R. 13L only closed for a few days for the repainting. 3/21 changed to 4/22 last year.
Hold on, you expect me to read information and educate myself? C'mon, this is PoA, that's against the RoC. :D

Yeah, sorry, missed your post (thanks to poor browsing habits).
Now that I read it, I wonder whether the airport manager
A) speaks Engrish
B) knows anything about aviation

Okay, enough tongue-in-cheek criticism.
The re-wiring would explain why the runways were closed but remained intact. I assume it would be bad form for an airplane to land on a rwy with an electrician kneeling on the centerline, pulling some wires through. :)

Looking fwd to the reopening. I always liked 12L. Pardon me .... 13L. :)

No comment there than I have arrived at an airport to find an electrician parked on the runway and no notam or yellow X's.

Back