Big Bear Airport Transportation Woes

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
I own a cabin in Green Valley Lake and would love to fly in to Big Bear Airport instead of driving from LA (KWHP). However...I have found no good way to get to cabin in GVL. I hear taxi service is terrible, and there's no Uber.

Anyone have a space at the airport they would rent out so I can park my '72 Karmann Ghia permanently? Happy to pay for the corner in a hangar...or???

Or alternatively, am I missing any options? The drive to my cabin I is about 30 min from Big Bear Airport.

Thanks, all!

I own a cabin in Green Valley Lake and would love to fly in to Big Bear Airport instead of driving from LA (KWHP). However...I have found no good way to get to cabin in GVL. I hear taxi service is terrible, and there's no Uber.

Anyone have a space at the airport they would rent out so I can park my '72 Karmann Ghia permanently? Happy to pay for the corner in a hangar...or???

Or alternatively, am I missing any options? The drive to my cabin I is about 30 min from Big Bear Airport.

Thanks, all!

Is Doc Peterson still alive and up there?

The Pilot's Association there are great guys, maybe they can help?

'Gimp

Thanks, Gov! I contacted the airport and rented a space at $25 mo. I moved my car there yesterday (3 hours in a hot Ghia with no A/C). Now I can fly in, walk 2 min, and hop in the car. Much appreciated. There's only one space left if someone wants it.

Henning...not sure who that is. Gimp...thanks...it is a great group.

Thanks, Gov! I contacted the airport and rented a space at $25 mo. I moved my car there yesterday (3 hours in a hot Ghia with no A/C). Now I can fly in, walk 2 min, and hop in the car. Much appreciated. There's only one space left if someone wants it.

If you don't know, he has probably passed.:( He was an AME with a 310 then 340 that did medicals in his hangar there, he pretty much handled all the QBs in SoCal and was an excellent pilot. I flew a rally with him once and the wheels hit the runway on the exact second predicted, all using three stopwatches.

Looks like that TFR has effectively shut down the airport. Was anybody flying?

Ah! A KG we can borrow! You can borrow my Neon at McClellan. :)

Paul

Excited that it worked out!

Wow...a Neon! Love it. Believe it or not, I also have a 73 Ford Pinto Squire wagon I sometimes park at KWHP.

Happyland...You can still fly in, but it's a bit of a hassle. You have to call first to register. Then, you call a temporary tower (133.725...I think) to land BEFORE you enter the TFR. I am planning to fly in tomorrow.

Back