Bi-Plane down in Cali ?

PAustin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PAustin
Anyone heard of this today ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

does news from columbia spread that fast ?

I saw something on the bi-plane forum about it.

Antique biplane crashed in California. Looking for more info.

Dunno. Post I saw was just "biplane down in California" with a pic of an old what looks like a Travel Air

Orange and black?

ecef4b31afc6e8becab85eb0a30d94a8.jpg

Agreed on the navy blue. Not sure where the pic was taken. I was just trying to find more info.

I'm almost positive that's the Travelair that flies out of a private strip north of Sac. I hope everyone is okay.

Sounds like Eddie Andreini's Stearman crash at Travis back in May. A complete debacle if you ask me.
Oh, crap. I hadn't heard about that. Everybody has That Moment when they decided that learning to fly was a lifetime non-negotiable. I had that moment in the front seat of Eddie Andreini's big fat Stearman, about 2000 feet over Pescadero, doing rolls and stalls. He kept waiting for me to throw up. I just kept asking for MORE!

I grew wings that day. It's just taken me 20 years to start using them. Really bummed to hear that he cracked up.

Really bummed to hear that he cracked up.

He didn't crack up. He put his biplane on the tarmac (intact) doing an inverted ribbon cut. The smoke was still on and started a small fire. From what I understand, the Travis flightline folks physically kept his ground crew from responding for several minutes while waiting for the crash truck to show up on the flight line.

Short version: Eddie burned alive in front of thousands of people because the AF mucked up basic air show safety protocols.

How many flying Travel Air's are there? I've only seen one at KORS?

There are still a fair number, although many seem to be getting purchased and shipped out of the country to Europe and Australia/New Zealand.

The orange and blue paint is a fairly common TA scheme, so hard to nail down ownership without an N- number.

The San Diego Barnstormers group has at least two or three that they give rides in out of MYF. I almost bought one if their TA's, but it ended up going to an overseas buyer.

How many flying Travel Air's are there? I've only seen one at KORS?
Don't know how many are flying, but there were about 240 registered Travel Airs in the January 2014 FAA database. About 150 were 4000s.

Ron Wanttaja

Williams CA.

NTSB Identification: WPR14LA361

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation

Accident occurred Saturday, August 30, 2014 in Williams, CA

Aircraft: TRAVEL AIR C 4000, registration: N9952

Injuries: 1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On August 30, 2014, about 1221 Pacific daylight time, a Travel Air C-4000, N9952, collided with terrain during the takeoff initial climb at Williams Gliderport, Williams, California. The owner was operating the airplane under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91. The commercial pilot sustained serious injuries. The airplane sustained substantial damage to the wings and fuselage. The local personal flight was departing. Visual meteorological conditions (VMC) prevailed, and no flight plan had been filed.

Witnesses stated that the airplane reached about 8 feet above ground level (agl), and suddenly went nose first into the ground.

Index for Aug2014 | Index of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. That's unspeakable. He was such a lovely man.

I lived 16 years in Half Moon Bay, left a decade ago and lost track. Eddie was one of the big personalities in town -- and a safe and careful pilot. He deserved better.

Back