BFR in a strange aircraft.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Today, almost a year over due I flew off my BFR with my favorite CFI, he just bought his new aircraft, which I completed an annual in exchange for my BFR.

It is really a great short field aircraft, off in about 250' with half tanks a two aboard. but on final it is full back yoke, full aft trim, and 80 mph is as slow as I could get it. but it slides on with a little power stab as it touches down.

we took it out and climbed to 1000' under the whidbey airspace and did some slow flight, 30 degree angle of bank turns and the some 60 degree circles, and then one departure stall (to the horn) it just hung on the prop and showed "0" airspeed, and then an approach stall, but could not get the aircraft to squak the horn, it just set up a high desent rate, and mushed streight ahead.

then it was back to the pattern, and three touch and goes. and a full stop.

Very nice flyer see if you can tell what it is..

That bulge on top of the cowl says, "175 Skylark."

Eh?

SCCutler said:
That bulge on top of the cowl says, "175 Skylark."

Eh?

That Bump on the cowl is a 180 Lycoming horse conversion with the Heartsell constant speed prop.

The C-175 stock cowling is different.

But you are right it's a C175

Stall kit, wing fences, 10:00 mains, 210 nose gear fork with 10:00 tire, drooped tips, 52 gals fuel.

with two folks and half tanks it'll show 1300' per minute climb rates today at 76S 70 degrees.

NC19143 said:
Today, almost a year over due I flew off my BFR with my favorite CFI, he just bought his new aircraft, which I completed an annual in exchange for my BFR.

Dang you work cheap.

I have always read that the 175 was, apart from the geared engine, a good plane, and that the converted ones were right-OK. Sounds as if it is true.

In any event, it is loads better than my plane. Which, I don't have one.

SCCutler said:
I have always read that the 175 was, apart from the geared engine, a good plane, and that the converted ones were right-OK. Sounds as if it is true.

In any event, it is loads better than my plane. Which, I don't have one.

I think the 175 would make a great first aircraft, run a GO- till it needs replacement, buy a used engine from Dodson/Wentworth/xx aircraft salvage, and the STC, and do the conversion.

This aircraft was bought for 60k, but that was with all the mods already in place. And I believe he got a really good deal.

This aircraft was built for off field work in the back country of Id. it is not loaded up with IFR equipement, so it is light, and climbs very well, even in the hot/high DAs that occur there.

180 horses, empty weight of 1250, and a max gross at 2550, But the other side of the equasion, 25"Hq/2400RPM she indicates 105mph @ 12GPH, Leaned to 10GPH at 24/24 showed 100mph.

Fully loaded it'll get you in and out of the back country, but it'll take all day.

Back