Best way to keep birds out of hanger

dennyleeb

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
7DeltaBravo
Went to the hanger today and bird crap on my plane where they sit on the overhead beams. Anything that will work?

They hate the smell of mothballs.

Dan

2000002188_500.jpg

Plus

887Tactical-prod.ashx

Or if you're worried about blood splatter, I've heard mylar balloons can work, too.

They hate the smell of mothballs.

Dan

Me too, way worse than bird crap.

The easiest cheapest most sure fire way to deal with the problem is go to the Goodwill store and buy a bunch of flannel sheets to put over the plane.

Haha.

I had a dream last night that I shot one of those small helicopter police drones in my front yard with my shotgun like it was a pheasant or something

I killed about 20 pigeons and a few others with a pellet gun. They finally stopped coming back.

Went to the hanger today and bird crap on my plane where they sit on the overhead beams. Anything that will work?

A discussion was on this topic on another board with a creative solution. The OP made friends with a local falconer group and got permission from the local airport authorities to let the guy hunt his bird at the field.

You need permission to hire a guy to let his bird loose in your hangar??

I killed about 20 pigeons and a few others with a pellet gun. They finally stopped coming back.

Was tried in our hangar, made roof leak and ricochets off the beams were scary. Moved over to a good AEG air soft, got the job done with out shooting through the roof or eing a danger to the birds that belong in the hangar.

Printed silhouette bird kill markers for my tool box, ended up with better than a dozen for a few years in a row, now they don't come back.

You need permission to hire a guy to let his bird loose in your hangar??

I think what they did is let the falcons hunt the airport grounds, and for that, yeah, some permission and coordination is a good thing. If it's a dual use (Mil/Civ) it's even more important.

My Diana has a 3-8 scope and is scary accurate. The birds (and ~75 squirrels so far) stop the pellets and prevent ricochets.

Was tried in our hangar, made roof leak and ricochets off the beams were scary. Moved over to a good AEG air soft, got the job done with out shooting through the roof or eing a danger to the birds that belong in the hangar.

Printed silhouette bird kill markers for my tool box, ended up with better than a dozen for a few years in a row, now they don't come back.

I feel your pain. The squirrels eat our roof and chew their way into the attic. Or did until I bought the Diana. Dave B. and I kept a tally for a couple of years. He stalked wearing his bathrobe.

Perfect, we had a red rider:rofl:

My Diana has a 3-8 scope and is scary accurate. The birds (and ~75 squirrels so far) stop the pellets and prevent ricochets.

A good break barrel with a scope is pretty incredible. I told my female friends I bought the rabbit meat at a local gourmet grocery store.

Bought my dad a gamo 22 shotgun a few years ago. No more woodpeckers drilling into his house or squirrels leaving sharp bits of nut on the deck

A good break barrel with a scope is pretty incredible. I told my female friends I bought the rabbit meat at a local gourmet grocery store.

I have a 1950s Diana single shot that loads from the top and has a mechanism at the bottom to charge the air.

Some birds, like some fish return to nest where they were born. I used to manage a couple of large hangars at TEB and believe me, birds are a real, long term problem; especially when they are crapping on 25 million dollar jets. Our only way to treat them turned out to be a mass killing (after going through all the permits etc). Then making sure the doors were only opened to move airplanes in and out, closing them immediately. Sealing any and all possible entry points, and removing any existing nests. Then hanging chicken wire through the rafters to hinder their movement, sometimes killing the dumber ones on the wing.

Shift duties every Sunday morning included finding and removing any new nests. Once removed the Mommy and Daddy ususally departed... Otherwise... BB's were flying (after emptying the hangar)

WHAT A MAJOR PITA :mad2:

I've read that the best way to get birds away from an airport is a resident border collie.

I think what they did is let the falcons hunt the airport grounds, and for that, yeah, some permission and coordination is a good thing. If it's a dual use (Mil/Civ) it's even more important.

I mis-read. I thought he was talking about IN the hangar. My bad.

That thing is creepy.

Anyhow, I've seen lots of hanging sparly things like crepe paper only made out of thin metal. So it always looks like you are having a party, that sort of thing. I have seen this several times now. That and a fake owl (the regular, non creepy kind)

you haven't lived til you have cleaned up after a huge Great Horned Owl crapping and puking pellets in the exact same spot on your wing for 2 weeks. My God it was a filthy, stinky mountain.

PS the plastic owl to 'scare' birds away. Save your money.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 9
what about some rat poison in a bird feeder w bird seed, maybe take a coyote along with them

String monofilament line across the beams in a random pattern... They will leave///

I don't have any direct experience with this stuff, but have heard quite a few stories about it. There's a product called "Tanglefoot." It comes in a tube like caulk. You lay down a bead of it where the birds perch. The product never dries - it stays "tacky" and birds don't like to land on it. Eventually they avoid the areas where it was applied. I think it runs about $10 a tube. You can get it at Ace Hardware.

Back