Best training day so far!

supernovae

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
supernovae
Went up Sunday late morning as the clouds were breaking right at 3000 feet. Instructor told me to poke a hole through the blue sky and get above the clouds so we could cover some slow flight/stalls and general skills check.

I never realized how such a little thing as getting on top of a broken cloud layer sort of reinvigorates the whole training experience and breaks the whole repetitive monotony of pattern work and perfecting PTS standards.

It was also the first time flying in Texas that I got to see the bluebonnet blooms from 4000 feet, the patches look like little ponds all over the place and having been in a severe drought here in Texas the past 2 years, it was odd seeing everything so green.. I forgot I was flying in a place that all the sudden didn't feel so familiar! :)

anyway, fun times. It was a nice new perspective this past weekend and it made me forget the bills, scheduling hassles and poor weather killing my training we had been experiencing a bit here. The pattern work with 30knot winds EVERY time I went up was draining!

Be careful with VFR on top. Lot of people get "stuck" up there. It is fun when you're with a CFII though because they can always do pop up IFR.

Be sure to take pics of the blue bonnetts from 3-4k some of us don't know what they look like!

~K

I did that on my first XC with my instructor, it was beautiful up there.

Be careful with VFR on top. Lot of people get "stuck" up there. It is fun when you're with a CFII though because they can always do pop up IFR.

Be sure to take pics of the blue bonnetts from 3-4k some of us don't know what they look like!

~K

Blue bonnets from 3-4k? Still won't know what they look like. :dunno:

images

Aren't you flying out of GTU? If so, who are you flying with? Pics next time !

You don't need a broken cloud layer for that. Just popping over a row of cumulus will do it, and then you know you can get right back down again.

There isn't anything quite like looking at a cloud from above. Even a really small cloud.

Aren't you flying out of GTU? If so, who are you flying with? Pics next time !

I fly with Tommy from Pilots Choice Aviation, and i'll definitely try and get some pics, hope to get out tomorrow but weather is looking iffy tomorrow and Thursday.

I know tommy. I was working on my CFI there when he started working on his CFI I. If its the same tommy.

I know tommy. I was working on my CFI there when he started working on his CFI I. If its the same tommy.

Sure is, he's been great. I don't think Beth would keep anyone around otherwise hehe.

~K

A very good and valid warning. I read on this forum a year or so ago, a post by a STUDENT pilot that had done his long X Country on top. That was crazy.

The Bluebonnets are a little later here, because we're farther North of Austin by about 300 miles. They are just now starting to bloom and for a Texan is the indication of and Joy of Spring. The Crimson Clover, Indian Paint Brushes and Buttercups add to the beauty.

A very good and valid warning. I read on this forum a year or so ago, a post by a STUDENT pilot that had done his long X Country on top. That was crazy.

It's also illegal. 14 CFR 61.89(a)(7). Private pilots can fly "over the top" (not "on top" unless instrument rated). Student pilots can't when solo.

Back