Best speed investment for my vehicles

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
Obviously would be the driver!

Anyone have any recommends or PIREPS?

I don’t want to play race car driver, I live in both a area with very dynamic weather conditions as well as a very liberal state, and I do drive fast and like corners, so I’d like a mix of a defensive and offensive driving course but with some rally driving aspects mixed in.

I drive a mix of RWD performance cars, to AWD turbo, to a wrangler.

This seemed like a good mix, but there isn’t much off-road or gravel/snow training.

6500751_F-_DD45-4_EF2-921_C-9295_B9_B20_EB4.png

Anyone know of anything better?

Down by Joliet, IL there is a ‘road track’ one can pay to speed around. There are several levels, instructor drivers are available for ride alongs. I’ve never went, but know one or two who took their high powered street rod.

Certainly, it's a quick way to get to the soccer field.

Just sayin.

Oh come on, I know someone did some advanced driving training

I want to do it just to practice the heel toe. I don't want to tear up my clutch or else I would practice in my vehicle.

Install a nitrous system. Huge bang for the buck!

:)

Do you get to shoot an AR15 out the window while doing donuts? LOL

My friend's dad taught at Bondurant for many years here in AZ. Now he teaches for Ford. Although I don't know much about this course I have several friends who have done the Bondurant course and it was a great course. One of those friends races full blown race Corvettes. I think he learned heel toe from Bondurant, and man he is damn good at it.

Highly recommended.

These advanced performance driving schools make you a much safer driver. Every car you drive, for the rest of your life, will have better performance.
Most drivers look no farther than the rear bumper in front of them. Track driving has made it natural for me to be aware of everything around the car- Front, rear, sides. I instinctively pay attention way farther out than one or two cars.

Do this enough, and emergency maneuvers are second nature. You will seldom have an emergency maneuver, as you're aware of what's going to happen, and respond before other drivers have a clue. Go to several schools- Every instructor has a different teaching style, and you will learn something from each one.

One HUGE warning: I attended a high-performance driving school just for the opportunity to drive on a real race track.
Now I have a car with a roll cage and big numbers on the door! This can be very addicting. One simple track day can lead to spending lots of money on race tires & equipment.

. I think he learned heel toe from Bondurant, and man he is damn good at it.
I've tried a few times to replicate what I've seen in Initial D in the R32. But it's not easy to fix them so I don't want to have a breakdown by goofing around with it.

I've tried a few times to replicate what I've seen in Initial D in the R32. But it's not easy to fix them so I don't want to have a breakdown by goofing around with it.

I have no idea how to do it, but it sure takes some time and skill

Install a nitrous system. Huge bang for the buck!

:)
A former coworker was killed in a street racing accident...also injured people in other cars who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. One of the rumors I heard was he had a nitrous system, which made him not street legal, so his insurance opted not to pay. That’d be the ****s.

Not dissing your post, or the thread in general...just brought this to mind.

Last edited:
A former coworker was killed in a street racing accident...also injured people in other cars who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. One of the rumors I heard was he had a nitrous system, which made him not street legal, so his insurance opted not to pay. That’d be the ****s.

Not dissing your post, or the thread in general...just brought this to mind.
Sorry to hear that. Of course my post was completely meant to be a joke.

I second the Porsche. They build a lot of different models and many can be run on the track. Off-road? Porsche’s have done rallye, but you’re talking a whole lotta mod$. But it can be done.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. Of course my post was completely meant to be a joke.
Understood...and I do see the humor...just brought other things to mind. Nitrous or not, I’m all for enjoying good cars and honing driving skills. I guess just make sure to keep it where it’s acceptable and/or legal.:cool:

I've done several schools and Bondurant is top-notch. Their purpose-built circuit in Chandler, AZ is entertaining, and I found their instruction and curriculum to be well thought out.

I attended quite a few years ago when they had Mustang school cars and Crossle Formula Fords. The highlight of the three-day school was an actual race with other students in the Mustangs! Other good ones: Spring Mountain Motorsports Park in Pahrump, NV, and anything at Barber in Birmingham.

For ice driving, check out Steamboat Springs, CO. The school has gone through many iterations (I did it decades ago when it was Ford vehicles/Michelin tires), and it's a hoot!!! I hope it still exists...can't be sure.

Edit: Now it's Bridgestone tires w/ Toyota vehicles.

A 1999 Hayabusa, an Ariel Atom, and Midget Mustang with the biggest engine you can stuff into it.
Anything else is just posing.

OK a V-12 Thunder Mustang. They are actually faster the the original P-51D.

Pretty close to me as the crow flies, I hear they teach a mean driving course (offense and defense, on and off road) here:

Screenshot_20180820-193619.png

You could even fly in, but I'd make sure you were invited...

Screenshot_20180820-193629.png

Back