Best So Cal Airport?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
:D Hi Members...first post! :D

After over 25 years, it's time to start flying again! I got my private license the day I was old enough. Then I became a teacher...no money. Then I got an MBA...no time. Now, I finally have the money and time. May even buy a plane (thinking of Piper Warrior or Seneca).

Question...Where's the best place to learn in So. Cal? I live in Hollywood Hills. I've explored...

* Whiteman - Fine, but not much scenery close, and planes at Vista Aviation look a little bit "been there done that" (one had rust on the spar).

* Van Nuys - Good, but lots of trafffic.

* Burbank - Is this even an option with the jets?

* Long Beach - ????

* Hawthorne?

* Santa Monica?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Like to hear as well good places to rent for quick trips when I am there from nj

From the hollywood hills, I'd think you would want the minimum drive-time possible. I'd assume this favors VNY or BUR strongly, then SMO as a very distant third.

You might throw EMT into the mix -- the drive may actually be better than all 3 :)

I base at HHR, it's flavorless, even less flavor than WHP. For being an airport surrounded by so much soul food, it's pretty damn whitebread and stuck-up.

Rumor is that SMO will be "gone daddy gone" very soon when their FAA protection runs out.

I can't imagine any "short list" of planes including both a warrior AND a seneca -- two very different contraptions, those. :) I hope you'll try them out before just taking the plunge.

If you get bored one of these days, I'm happy to take folks flying around LA to show it's not scary. We have the friendliest controllers in the country I think.

$0.02

- Mike

Of the airports you listed, I would say Van Nuys is your best bet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would also think that the drive to EMT might be better -

and since we are all 'Californians' the 134 to the 210 would likely be the easiest trip unless your lesson are 4pm on . . .. then avoid it like the plague.

If you can schedule lessons before 3pm in EL Monte then you will be against traffic in both directions -

I'd bet that VNY will be pricier than EMT - but maybe not.

Last edited:
Rumor is that SMO will be "gone daddy gone" very soon when their FAA protection runs out.

Almost no one likes that airport. The community hates the noise and the only thing the airport authority knows how to do is send nastygrams to pilots about how much noise they make. We had to do a full power run-up for maintenance at 6pm once and coordinated it through the tower who asked airport ops who said it was ok. We got a phone call a week later from the airport authority expressing their displeasure.

Mike is right about the controllers - I heard a guy Thurs am who sounded like he could be in NYC. Just a rapid fire stream of one after another - reminded me of one of the JFK guys. I never had to check in - I departed POC toward RAL and came up and heard him just rattling off one instruction after another - and then calling me out, indicated radar contact and gave me the kollsman. I responded with just the numbers. He went back to sequencing guys into SNA and ONT until one of the asian flight schools came on - and that unfortunately gummed up the works - after a painful 30 seconds he finally said "N12345, radar service terminated, stay on the code, call me back in 5 minutes - "

ONT was landing east - so 125.5 was getting a workout that day.

Headed out to Van Nuys to check out American Aviation and California Flights School...anyone with advice out that way today?

Hawthorne would be good as you will learn Class B opps right from the first day... kind a cool being on short final abeam a 747 heading into the South Complex at LAX

Long Beach, I would recommend the Long Beach Flying Club if you go there. I belonged to it for about 10 years and the owner runs a good program.

Can't say much about Santa Monica, but there a few schools there..

Van Nuys has a few great schools and check out 8 Ball Flying Club if you contemplating the ownership thing... they have instructors on staff that can help in getting you current again. If I lived closer to "The Valley" this would be on my short list..

Also, if your just getting back into it, check out the FAA Wigs Safety Program.. http://www.faasafety.gov/Default.aspx

They have a lot of great seminars at both Camarillo and Van Nuys that can help with the knowledge portion. And, if you're a AOPA member some of this stuff is free..

Welcome back and good luck

Southern California is not as hard as most think flying VFR. I have no problem getting around here. Now with that said I am a IFR student and IFR is easier but again VFR is doable, iit helps to be good on the radio, ATC seams to pick up if you are nervous.

Best for what?

For me, Oceanside was the best because I could walk to the beach and the tie-downs were free -- or at least they were a few years ago.

Motel within walking distance, too.

:D Hi Members...first post! :D

After over 25 years, it's time to start flying again! I got my private license the day I was old enough. Then I became a teacher...no money. Then I got an MBA...no time. Now, I finally have the money and time. May even buy a plane (thinking of Piper Warrior or Seneca).

Question...Where's the best place to learn in So. Cal? I live in Hollywood Hills. I've explored...

* Whiteman - Fine, but not much scenery close, and planes at Vista Aviation look a little bit "been there done that" (one had rust on the spar).

* Van Nuys - Good, but lots of trafffic.

* Burbank - Is this even an option with the jets?

* Long Beach - ????

* Hawthorne?

* Santa Monica?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

For driving reasons, it depends where in the Hills. I'd vote SMO or VNY. The drive to EMT will be more headache than time saver, unless you're strictly only flying on w/e's. Forget driving there and back during the week. BUR would be 3rd choice. I've lived and worked in Santa Monica, Studio City and N. Hollywood. Very familiar w/driving options.

Almost no one likes that airport. The community hates the noise and the only thing the airport authority knows how to do is send nastygrams to pilots about how much noise they make.

What would you have them do assuming they are trying to save the airport? Noise is about the only complaint from the community they can do anything about. I'm surprised that every clearance isn't concluded with- "Avoid all noise, do not crash, do not drop any lead in the vicinity of the airport and maintain invisibility".

I parked at Whiteman for a few days to attend conference in L.A. Once and had some time (while waiting for an idiot cab driver to find the airport) to talk to the local pilots. It seemed to me to have a pretty active and friendly pilot community. I don't think I would write it off so quickly. I don't know what you mean about scenery; with an airplane, you can get to any number of scenic destinations pretty quickly.

I also live in the Hollywood Hills and I've kept planes at Santa Monica and Whiteman.

I like SMO because it's a nicer airport, I like the staff in the administration building and the controllers in the tower. It's a teaching tower so there are at times new controllers, but with someone experienced ready to jump in. The tie-downs are still only $90/mo. and there are good restaurants on the field. As soon as you take off you're at the shoreline, to the right is tri-tip in Camarillo, to the left is Catalina. I learned to fly there, practicing my stalls and steep turns above the coast near Malibu.

There's a many-years wait to lease a hangar from the SMO airport (yes, the airport may not be around that long,) but private hangars sometime become available (I'd try Judy Barker at Barker Hangar.) The fog can roll in for days, I once couldn't get out for a week.

Whiteman is much cheaper for hangars, some at $364 as of last week. Tie-downs more expensive than SMO, not sure why. It's also much warmer there than SMO. The restaurant on the field is closed (never that good, anyhow) and the neighborhood is industrial. The tower guys can be gruff (though it may get sequesterized) but they'll give you a squawk code on the ground and handle your transition through Burbank or Van Nuys. If you do go there, visit the tower on a slow day and they'll show you the tricks of a "four stacks" departure, etc. There's also an EAA chapter (with hangar) at WHP

You'll fly more at WHP if you're only VFR like I am, but the real bonus of Whiteman is I can get there in 12 minutes from the Hollywood Hills (I live near the Hollywood Bowl.) I'm always going reverse traffic on the 170.

Last edited:
Back