Best SMS text ever...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
I just received this...

SMS 1:
"Alex, I have been a terrible person. I am truly sorry for any hurt I have caused you, for unintentionally leading you astray, and for my actions. I am em"

SMS 2:
"barressed and I can only hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. I hope to remain friends, but I will not hold it against you if you decline. Y"

SMS 3:
"ou are a beautiful person, inside and out."

I also had a wrong number call from a female voice while interviewing someone for a job earlier.

(IT geeks tend to have to answer unknown numbers because almost everyone in the company works from home, and calls us with outages on their personal line while their business line is tied up talking about the problem with someone else -- and two of our phones rang at the same time, which is never a good sign when the IT engineers are all in the same meeting.)

So I'm guessing that the young lady doesn't actually have "Alex"'s number.

The temptation to mess with her was very high. :)

For the record, my response...

"That'd be a nice thing to hear if I was Alex. Check the phone number you're sending to. No Alex here. Good luck with that."

A younger, more mischievous Nate would have had a field day with that.

Ain't technology grand? ;)

I just received this...

A younger, more mischievous Nate would have had a field day with that.

Ain't technology grand? ;)
That's priceless.

Having a very common name used for gMail, I get a lot of real email that is not intended for me. So much in fact, that I have a form letter that I copy&paste back to them. I've apparently applied for jobs (this one kills me. How can you typo your email on a job application??!!), attend school in the UK, been invited to our family reunion in Mississippi (apparently with "world famous ribs") ordered several items from Amazon and had them shipped to Texas, bought US Airways tickets, not to mention the number of insurance quotes, or roofing quotes or hot tub installation quotes I've gotten...and the list goes on. I always hold back the temptation to reply with something erroneous. One of these days I will have had a few adult beverages and the gears will be a-turning.

(IT geeks tend to have to answer unknown numbers because almost everyone in the company works from home, and calls us with outages on their personal line while their business line is tied up talking about the problem with someone else -- and two of our phones rang at the same time, which is never a good sign when the IT engineers are all in the same meeting.)
This. Although for me, it's Navy sailors calling me. I joke with my wife that my phonebook is full of men's names, so it will be easy to know when I start cheating on her. :lol:

I used to get a lot of phone calls for the TX Department of Corrections. Apparently there was a 1-digit difference in area codes. I always thought about messing with those folks that called, but I figured anyone calling that place already had enough to worry about.

I can't count how many times I've called (and awakened ) people in Alaska because the area code is 907 and I fat fingered the phone in an attempt to call an area code 904 (Jacksonville, Fl) number. After one really nasty response I got real careful.

When I lived in Chicago I had a 1-800 number for an insurance company crossed with my personal land line. Got the number, tried to solve the problem but SBC and AT&T didn't feel like talking to each other. Decided to give the number to friends and family so they could call me toll free from the east coast. Lasted for about a year before they finally shut it off.

snip...
(IT geeks tend to have to answer unknown numbers because almost everyone in the company works from home, and calls us with outages on their personal line while their business line
...snip

I, on the other hand, NEVER answer unknown numbers. I let it go to voice mail and sort it out from there. ... especially since my cell reception is unreliable at the house and will most likely drop connection part way thru their explanation of the problem, or I'll only hear half of what they say.

You answered the phone while conducting a job interview?

It's was a panel interview, so you can excuse yourself while someone else continues, and it's pretty common for IT folk due to the nature of everyone only paying for systems that can't take care of failures on their own.

On-call geeks are cheaper than properly engineered redundant systems. Always have been. ;)

I've even had applicants have to take calls for their current employer while interviewing -- since they want to jump ship, but don't want anyone to know they're job hunting. Ha. Stupid, but it happens.

We live in a 24/7 on-call mentality. If you're carrying a cell phone in IT, you're pretty much fair game to call at any time of day or night. If you're the "Senior" person, you'll get the lion's share of it. Doesn't happen every day, but you're never really "not at work".

Don't answer, your dedication as a "team player" may be called into question. The first question out of any execs mouth after an outage won't be, "How can we redesign it so this won't happen anymore?", it'll be "Who was on-call and how fast did they respond?"

I had someone simply add me to an e-mail chain at midnight this week to report a significant outage. Seriously. People are that dumb.

Didn't call help desk, didn't call me, didn't look up who was on-call (it wasn't me), just "I'll add Nate to this since he fixed it last time." At midnight.

I just happened to see the e-mail, logged in, checked to see if the e-mail had also been seen by my counterpart who was on-call, checked the logs of the ill-conceived junk software purchased from consultants to see if he'd already restarted it, and sent a note on how to reach the Linux team after hours next time.

Today, there is an e-mail chain in my inbox (as if I care) asking the consultant to document the failure mode and the consultant replied with a message that they knew the failure would happen and they "want to fix it". Read between the lines... More billable hours!

(My department didn't buy this stuff nor review it. We were told to install it on a Linux box and we'd never have to touch it. I'd be really rich if I could bill by the hour for everything I've fixed that starts with that phrase. This thing works by processing data sent real-time over the Internet -- anyone see a problem here? -- and that doesn't buffer the data nor even store it to disk until it writes it into a SQL DB on another server -- anyone see any other design flaws here? -- And someone at our company is required to call and notify the customer if ANY data is lost. Yep. They fire-and -forget-data across the Internet to a socket to put it in our DB. When I first heard of this plan, I was surprised they didn't choose UDP transport for it, too. haha. There's a point where you just say YGBFKM and walk out of the meeting shaking your head... It's *designed* to fail.)

Jesse and Tony can attest that on my long XC during IR training (we went to Wichita to have dinner with Tony and Leah), when we landed I had a phone message from someone who needed something fixed back home... who apparently didn't know how to read the on-call calendar, nor know that I was on vacation for a week. :)

This is all totally normal in my world. :)

The company drops an extra $27 after taxes onto my paycheck for "cell phone" as compensation. Bestill my beating heart. :)

I had this drunk coed call me at 323am this past weekend. "Billy, Billy? I need you come get me . . . . I'm drunk and horny and its time."

Sorry, I'm not Billy and he's not here and its 3am. . .

Yep - she called back twice after that.

Thankfully I had her number. So I called at 7a when I woke up. And then again at 8am. and then at 9a. At 10am she had the phone turned off and at 6p she called me back and profusely apologized. I asked her how she was feeling. Quietly in a low voice - I could tell she had a banging hangover.

I took her to lunch this week - nice girl - attending one of our 6 local colleges - she and my wife might get to be friends - she needs someone to show her that being drunk at 3a on a Saturday night and calling a guy and telling him you are horny is probably not the best of judgment . . .

Our toll free number is 800-245-0647

A financial services company known as Primevest (www.primevest.com) has 800.245.0467

We frequently get calls from banks across the country. And more than once discovered that the printer providing brochures and biz cards for them messed up and put my number on the card or brochure.

Though I have had one had one of those bankers remember I provide auto parts and call backed to place a profitable order....

I, on the other hand, NEVER answer unknown numbers. I let it go to voice mail and sort it out from there. ... especially since my cell reception is unreliable at the house and will most likely drop connection part way thru their explanation of the problem, or I'll only hear half of what they say.

I have Private Caller / Unknown/ etc turned off - if you will not give me caller ID you don't get to talk to me. You get VM option if you want - its funny - the sales calls have dropped off the face of the earth.

Now if I could stop the '800 service' calls for cleaning my duct work.

There were the truly desperate sales people who called for Contractors using their cell phones. . . so I'd get their cell numbers. Those calls stopped to when I started calling their numbers at 4am when I'd get up to go pee . . . oh man - those guys HATED that. Oh well. That little niche stopped when people figured out they could call these folks back at 3am.

Joe, you're as bad as Tom Mabe.

I had this drunk coed call me at 323am this past weekend. "Billy, Billy? I need you come get me . . . . I'm drunk and horny and its time."

Sorry, I'm not Billy and he's not here and its 3am. . .

Yep - she called back twice after that.

Thankfully I had her number. So I called at 7a when I woke up. And then again at 8am. and then at 9a. At 10am she had the phone turned off and at 6p she called me back and profusely apologized. I asked her how she was feeling. Quietly in a low voice - I could tell she had a banging hangover.

I took her to lunch this week - nice girl - attending one of our 6 local colleges - she and my wife might get to be friends - she needs someone to show her that being drunk at 3a on a Saturday night and calling a guy and telling him you are horny is probably not the best of judgment . . .

Wait!.......you had a college girl call for sex and your response was to call her back and then take her out for dinner with your wife? You my friend are a GOD!!

Wait!.......you had a college girl call for sex and your response was to call her back and then take her out for dinner with your wife? You my friend are a GOD!!

The Sac Arrow is duly impressed....

One of the funnier ones was when my roommate answered the phone and the call went something like this:

Is Ron There? No, he's out.
Do you know where he is? Not exactly.
When do you expect him back? Probably late tonight.
Do you know how we might find him?

about this point my roommate gets leary?

He asks questions of his own...
Who are you?
We're with the state corrections department at XXX Facility where he is supposed to be imprisoned.
Are you talking about Ron N-------?
No we're talking about Ron T------.

Some other Ron, but it was getting amusing for a while.

One night when I lived in Baltimore City, late at night a call comes in:

Is DOreen there?

I just mumbled something, but I was thinking about saying....

DOreen says she don't want to talk to you no more. We're goin' back to bed now so donchu call again.

Back