Best Skylane route Arkansas to Palm Springs

Maier Force One

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
David Maier
Any suggestions for the best southern VFR route/fuel stops between Arkansas and Palm Springs, CA in a Cessna 182P model, no turbo, no O2 with 75 gal. usuable fuel at 13 gal/hour planned fuel burn. Would like to fly 10,500 or below enroute. My wife and I are considering flying to Summit next week....have commerical backup. Thanks.

I-30 becomes I-20 then I-10. Stay over it. Simple as pie. Use one of web-based fuel services to find best prices. Watch for the tethered blimp south of your route through NM. Las Cruces has a nice little burger joint in the building.
Any suggestions for the best southern VFR route/fuel stops between Arkansas and Palm Springs, CA in a Cessna 182P model, no turbo, no O2 with 75 gal. usuable fuel at 13 gal/hour planned fuel burn. Would like to fly 10,500 or below enroute. My wife and I are considering flying to Summit next week....have commerical backup. Thanks.

What Wayne said...I venture to guess he has flown it before...

Welcome! Catchy name there..."Maier Force One"...

Makes me wonder if you are part of the Lunchwaffe!?!:D

ABQ and follow I-40. Or direct if you want over fly the Grand Canyon.

The I-10 route, thru ELP, has a maximum terrain elevation of less than 5000 feet. Easy route, quite a few airports

When I moved the Comanche from CT to SoCal in January 2010 [and had the only 3 consecutive days of good weather that month] I took the southern route . . . .and the part that is relevant to you is:

you'll be going north of Dallas (unless you decide to go south of Dallas but there is more traffic south) . . . . thence:

ABI V66 MAF V94 ELP. After ELP

ELP V94 VICKO V16 PSP -

thats how you do it - you have a 10k MEA through Arizona because of ONE mountain that goes to about 8800. Plus I"m sure some radio reception issue.

You can do the entire route at 8500 if you are willing to live with a few moments of excitement going over the hills between San Simon and Stanfield VOR. Or just go around - its pretty visual all the way - not even haze 340 days a year.

If I were you I'd overnight at 5T6 - cheaper fuel than ELP - from ELP in a Skylane its about 4 hours in a Skylane. Spend the first day flying from wherever in Arkansas to ELP area. . . . then the next morning knock out the last leg.

Last edited:
The I-10 route, thru ELP, has a maximum terrain elevation of less than 5000 feet. Easy route, quite a few airports

This is true except for the one NE/SW very short mountain range noted above between TFD and SSO . ..

And don't even BOTHER to try taking V16 and overflying PHX - you can't do it IFR - you'll get the V94 route - and PHX does not like VFR's going right over PHX since you get in the way of the arrivals and departures -

Last edited:
This is true except for the one NE/SW very short mountain range noted above between TFD and SSO . ..

And don't even BOTHER to try taking V16 and overflying PHX - you can't do it IFR - you'll get the V94 route - and PHX does not like VFR's going right over PHX since you get in the way of the arrivals and departures -

Negative, it's 100% possible to do the entire trip below 5000 feet. It is absolutely no fun, but it can be done, having done in it in an airship. The lower we can stay, the better, for helium purposes. In actuality, the lowest route isn't I-10, but the railroad track that follows the highway in portions. Its roughly 50-100 feet lower in portions.

Would I do it that low in an airplane, not a chance. But it can be done.

They can give you a transition through the B. It'll take you right over KPHX. I've done it. I haven't had bad experiences with PHX approach, but I hear some people really have. :dunno: KCHD is a good spot to stop. I'd stop there if I wasn't based their for their fuel still easily in the $5's (self is $5.2x, full is $5.6x IIRC) and the Hangar Cafe is delicious.

PS sucks, owned a home there, sold it, unless your VERY old or VERY gay it's not very fun

Fly to L35 (Big Bear) or San Diego or LA area, Palm Springs is not a great place, weather sucks, lots of thieves and not much for a straight guy under 10000 years old to do IMHO

I flew from Sulfur Springs TX, to Childress, to Moriarty NM for overnight. Then Winslow AZ to Las Vegas NV. You are going slightly farther south to Palmsprings, so detour SW from Winslow or near Flagstaff.

Winslow has a nice resturant on the field. You might find a pilots car/truck at Moriraty.
Lake Havesu has a nice fuel stop and resturant.

No suggestions on the route, but hope to meet you at Summit!

Grant,

Have you been to Palm Springs before? My mom used to live there. If you can break away from Summit for a while, take the aerial tram / cable car to the top of San Jacinto Mountain / State Park and hike around there for a little bit. Don't forget your camera!

http://www.pstramway.com

I had one too, primarily for escaping KC winters. Nowhere in US has better winter weather and more than 100 golf courses. Anybody who can't find action in the valley is looking for love in all the wrong places. And once you reach 10000, the golf is all that matters anyway.

PS sucks, owned a home there, sold it, unless your VERY old or VERY gay it's not very fun

Fly to L35 (Big Bear) or San Diego or LA area, Palm Springs is not a great place, weather sucks, lots of thieves and not much for a straight guy under 10000 years old to do IMHO

I flew my 182 from OH to CA about a year ago. Here's the thread on it:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45038

Like yours, mine is not turbo and I did not have Oxygen onboard. Unlike yours, I was limited to about 3.5 hour hops due to having standard (not LR) tanks.

My first day ended up with me in KHOT, so day 2 and 3 should closely resemble what you will be doing.

Summary:
KHOT - KONY
KONY - KROW
KROW - KAEG
SLEEP
KAEG - KPRC
KPRC - KVCV
KVCV - KWJF

Of course, your destination is south of KVCV anyhow, but at least you can see the route I took through the rocks. Bring your camera, the view is unreal!

Grant,

Have you been to Palm Springs before? My mom used to live there. If you can break away from Summit for a while, take the aerial tram / cable car to the top of San Jacinto Mountain / State Park and hike around there for a little bit. Don't forget your camera!

http://www.pstramway.com

I have, though I haven't done the tramway yet. We are planning on it, though. I'll bring some boots with for hiking.

WOW! I am amazed at how powerful this site is! THANK YOU to everyone for your advice. Unfortunately, we decided yesterday to fly to Ontario via free Southwest tickets and driving to AOPA. However, we will fly West in our 182 this Fall and use this thread as counsel. THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONE TAKING TIME TO HELP! See you at Summit! -David and Marty

Good call. Trips of that length are much more fun in a jet.

WOW! I am amazed at how powerful this site is! THANK YOU to everyone for your advice. Unfortunately, we decided yesterday to fly to Ontario via free Southwest tickets and driving to AOPA. However, we will fly West in our 182 this Fall and use this thread as counsel. THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONE TAKING TIME TO HELP! See you at Summit! -David and Marty

Back