Best school areas in Dallas?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Where does one live in the Dallas area if they want to raise kids in a good school area and a nice neighborhood, particularly where one can get a decent sized house and a large yard (1 acre or more) without breaking the bank (<$300k)?

Your budget is definitely realistic and workable. The biggest challenge will be finding an acre or more without going too far out, in terms of distance from Dallas or Ft Worth. That being said, you may find that your place of employment is outside of Dallas or Ft Worth anyway.

In which city will your office be located? That may help to point you in the right direction.

Your budget is definitely realistic and workable. The biggest challenge will be finding an acre or more without going too far out, in terms of distance from Dallas or Ft Worth. That being said, you may find that your place of employment is outside of Dallas or Ft Worth anyway.

In which city will your office be located? That may help to point you in the right direction.

Purely theoretical, let's assume it would be in Plano.

Plano gives you a TON of options in your price range. To get the acreage, you'll probably need to go north (McKinney), or east (Murphy, Sachse), but not too far. Schools are all great in those areas, as well, which was your main concern. Nice airport options, since you'll be on the Far East side of the dfw class bravo.

Honestly, I think you'll be happy with whatever you chose with the budget you mentioned. Now leaving the Colorado scenery is another story. Can't help you with that one!

Move to my neighborhood.
Large houses for not a ton of money. Large lots, fully upgraded, Great schools

Commute to Dallas is a pain but the neighborhood is QUIET and beautiful.

We paid $300 for 3200 sqft, 1 story, 1/3 acre, pool, the works.

The schools are exemplary(sp)

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Kensington-Estates_Denton_TX?source=web

Also a 15 minute drive to KDTO which is an awesome airport.

Edit: didn't see the > 1 acre. You can get about half here.

Last edited:
Nick: I develop sub divisions here as you probably know. Have aerials and some market info that I could share. I don't work as a broker, but could give you the big picture and target areas. As has been said, it will be hard to find acre lots closer in in that price range in a good school district, so, the trade off would be a bit longer drive.

Best,

Dave

Your not going to find an acre in dallas for that money. Im also buying a house in the area and for that money you could possibly get an oversized backyard, but an acre would be extreme. You'll be living in Justin Texas with those requirements.

Best bet, east dallas, way east dallas. Good luck though, I know in arlington there is a 5 acre place with a few houses on it, I havent even looked at the price because im sure its nearing 1 million.

Many areas in and around Denton that can accommodate the housing and schools parameters, and not be that bad of a drive to Plano or techno-Frisco.

Southlake has the best test scores in the metro area I think. 1ac with a nice house will start around 1.3mil. Plano - you couldn't pay me to live around there. Might as well move to Pacoima. Prolly just keep driving out hwy 114 until you find your price range maybe near Justin.

Y'know, assuming (for drill) you'll be working in Plano, you have options (including Plano).

The acre-plus requirement becomes a little problematic, but might be doable, depending upon willingness to commute; I'd try to ensure it was more of an east-west commute, rather than north-south, to avoid ticking off the traffic gods.

There was a stunning house at Dallas Airpark a few months back, recent construction, big land, beautiful hangar/garage/shop, priced very aggressively (around $500k), and (of course) it came with a 3,000' runway. I tried to interest SWMBO, but she (not surprisingly) did not Leap At The Opportunity.

Nick: I develop sub divisions here as you probably know. Have aerials and some market info that I could share. I don't work as a broker, but could give you the big picture and target areas. As has been said, it will be hard to find acre lots closer in in that price range in a good school district, so, the trade off would be a bit longer drive.

Best,

Dave

Actually, Dave, I did not know what you did, but that's awesome. I'd appreciate any info you had, especially if it's relevant information for about a year into the future too.

I could give a bit on the acre, provided it's a very large yard. Longest commute I'd hope for is 30-40minutes.

Y'know, assuming (for drill) you'll be working in Plano, you have options (including Plano).

The acre-plus requirement becomes a little problematic, but might be doable, depending upon willingness to commute; I'd try to ensure it was more of an east-west commute, rather than north-south, to avoid ticking off the traffic gods.

There was a stunning house at Dallas Airpark a few months back, recent construction, big land, beautiful hangar/garage/shop, priced very aggressively (around $500k), and (of course) it came with a 3,000' runway. I tried to interest SWMBO, but she (not surprisingly) did not Leap At The Opportunity.

That sounds awesome. I don't know if I could justify living at an air park at least until the FAA let's me fly without a medical.

I was once considering Lewisville (but that was when it rivalled Rio Rancho in its early days -- NEW. Now, like RR, it's trying to become a little Dallas/Albuquerque).
Plano is prolly a good choice

Back