Best route for long XC from KVGT

Danimal

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Danimal
What is the best route of flight to fulfil the commercial cross country requirement CFR 61.129 (a)(4)(i) from KVGT (North Las Vegas) in a Cessna 172 with standard tanks?

Probably should fly south...but that is just a guess.

Probably should fly south...but that is just a guess.
Thanks, though I think I'd like to stay within US airspace for this one. From KVGT a 250nm route would take me into Mejico. I'm looking at routes with (H)VORs to an initial airport in the 250-280nm range with 100LL, then another field on the way back.

Reno/Tahoe. Easy peasy up the east side of the Sierras via Beatty, Coaldale and Mustang.

I'd do KRNO (leave early to avoid the bumps) and then maybe KHTH on the way back. You can say hello to Beatty there.

Since you are working on a commercial pilot license, what do you think? This should be something that you can figure out.

:yeahthat:

Seriously, you're working towards your commercial and you post that kind of question?? Not being a snarky a**, but we are serious about you figuring it out? Performance planning, terrain clearances, weather, etc. is all part of the process. Not hey, what do you guys think I should do in a C172 to meet this requirement...

Brian

Direct Battle Mountain. It's such a nice place, and there is no airspace at all.

I won't answer this question for a STUDENT pilot let alone a commercial trainee. You have no business flying unsupervised if you can't figure out a basic cross country on your own.

Direct Battle Mountain. It's such a nice place, and there is no airspace at all.

I won't answer this question for a STUDENT pilot let alone a commercial trainee. You have no business flying unsupervised if you can't figure out a basic cross country on your own.

He is asking people to skyvector for him and find a route that meets the requirements with the least distance and difficulty. I don't mind flight planning to one place, but trying to find an unknown airport in some unknown direction isn't exactly what I would call a good time. Maybe the OP is in the same boat as me and is giving others, who like to destination search, do it for him

I totally agree that as a commercial pilot I should be able to find my own route, which I will do. However, this will be my first time flying in the continental US since I do all of my flying in Guam so I just wanted to get people's thoughts based on their first hand experience and knowledge of the airspace, terrain, and if there are any interesting airports out there (I know there are some like SMO that won't be around for long). Thank you to those who responded with suggestions. Let me know if you ever go flying in Guam (lots of water!) and I hope I can help.

Last edited:
I think you would have gotten better/nicer responses if you had mentioned the Guam angle up front.

Where ever you decide to go, I would have a couple of gallons of water on board. and a blanket - it is really dry out there and cold at night if you have to land in the middle of nowhere.

Are you going to be brown bagging it or looking for a sit down meal? How big a deal are fuel prices?

I "repositioned" to Mesquite. Started the mile count from there.
Went to Leverne-Bracket for lunch with friends. Then to Gillespie to meet up with another friend.
Mesquite to Gillespie covers the distance required. Then I flew home to VGT.

Back