Best Places to fly in Oregon

Display Name

Display name:
Threefingeredjack
I thought it might be worthwhile for members to start a thread similar to the California one detailing the attractions of their local area, thus creating a handy reference for members who might be travelling through.

One of my favorite spots in Oregon is Siletz Bay State, (S45).
picture.php

Adjacent to the Salishan resort, this strip has no approaches but with the typical marine layer you can shoot an approach to KONP 18 miles south and then run up the coast. My favorite lodging in the locale is The Inn at Spanish Head, which will send a van for you if you call ahead. The Inn is built into a cliff face and every room has an unrestricted ocean view.

picture.php

Last edited:
The only places I've so far managed to fly to that might rate in a "Best Places" list are Sunriver and McMinnville. Both involved practice "land and go," so I never got out of the airplane to enjoy the locales.

Sunriver (S21) has a resort within short walking or riding distance where one can presumably enjoy oneself to food and lodging.

McMinnville (MMV) has an air museum housing some interesting air and space craft. One of their airplane exhibits is rather large. :wink2: (I have visited by car.)

The list of Oregon airfields I've flown to so far doesn't appear to me to contain any other places worthy IMHO of being on a "best" (but I could be wrong):
Creswell (77S),
Cottage Grove (61S),
Eugene (EUG),
Independence State (7S5),
Scappoose (SPB ),
Aurora (UAO),
Chehalem (17S),
Country Squire (S48),
Salem (SLE),
North Bend (OTH),
Roseburg (RBG),
and Bandon (S05).

Actually I thought they all had their own charms. However, since OTH started charging landing fees it is off my list of places that are remotely "charming." Gold Beach (4S1) is on my list of "best places to fly" where I hope to get out and visit the area - once I manage to find time!

Pretty much the entire western half of Oregon is on my list of favorite places to fly, although I would like to explore eastern Oregon sometime.

This thread is probably as good a place as any to share the following links:

http://www.oregon.gov/Aviation/warning.shtml

That Oregon Department of Aviation web page contains a list of "Warning Airports" which are limited to a subset run by them:
The Oregon Department of Aviation owns and operates 28 airports. Of these, nine have been designated as warning airports. These airports do not meet normal dimensional standards and have conditions that require specific pilot knowledge. They require special techniques and procedures to use safely and may not be usable by many aircraft under normal conditions.​

I had also run across his person's web site titled "I Fly Oregon" which appears to be in the spirit of his thread:

http://iflyoregon.com/tiki-index.php

Here you go Jim:
picture.php

Gold Beach has a great airport in easy walking distance to town. Great seafood, good beachcombing and mild winters make this a good spot. For a great time take a jet boat ride up the Rogue River.

picture.php

Again, like Siletz Bay, no published approaches, but Crescent City CA is a good way to get under the marine layer and come up the coast.

Last edited:
Bamdon OR is home to the world class golf complex known as Bandon Dunes. The original course has been compared to Pebble Beach in both complexity and breathtaking vistas.

picture.php

The town itself is cozy with some good eating spots and some B&Bs with unique charm. The beaches and snug harbor are great for walking and photography.

picture.php

This is one beach you don't want to be on!! :D

Last edited:
The only places I've so far managed to fly to that might rate in a "Best Places" list are Sunriver and McMinnville. Both involved practice "land and go," so I never got out of the airplane to enjoy the locales.

Well, they were the first two I thought of when I saw the thread title... So get out and look around next time!

Sunriver (S21) has a resort within short walking or riding distance where one can presumably enjoy oneself to food and lodging.

Yes... Sunriver is a purpose-built resort town with plenty of dining, entertainment, and lodging options. They also have bicycles at the airport that are free to use to get around town, and "town" is plenty small enough for the bikes to be a good transportation option. This would be a great place for either a $100 burger or to take the family for a weekend or a week.

McMinnville (MMV) has an air museum housing some interesting air and space craft. One of their airplane exhibits is rather large. :wink2: (I have visited by car.)

Best air museum I've ever been to, I think. The FBO will give you a ride to the main entrance, it's not as close as it looks!

Tillamook is another place with a museum. Not quite as spectacular as McMinnville, but still worth a trip.

Newport (KONP) is on the central coast. A great airport with many available approaches and benign terrain all around. The FBO has rental cars available, but call ahead as the supply is limited.
picture.php

picture.php

The town is a few miles north of the field, wrapped around scenic Yaquina Bay. The waterfront shops and art galleries are typically touristy, but there are some great places to eat. The Marine Science Center on the south shore of the bay is a great family destination.

picture.php

Last edited:
Back