Best paint schemes?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hey folks,

My club is going to get our R182 painted, and we're looking for cool schemes - What are the best/neatest looking planes you've seen? Post pics!

One my favorites is a modified 206 I wish I could afford. You may have seen this one before.

d546ec3d16265fa1989bf353bbd4020476a58a9b

I'm partial to original paint schemes. Airplanes that look like they did when they were new usually hold value well. Often a scheme that looks great on a newer model doesn't look so hot if it's adapted to a different or older-model airframe.

If you really want something custom/modern, consider having these guys design it for you: http://www.schemedesigners.com

I'm partial to original paint schemes.
+1

When Ms DueBeUs needs a new dress it'll be original. Hopefully that won't be for quite some time though as her current dress is lookin' nice.

Haha! Even better, Duncan Aviation. One of the leading aircraft maintenance companies. The one here has a new paint shop they are trying to brag about I think. The owner is really into odd art. He has an upside down sculpture of a house on his lawn and other various odd pieces. The last mustang was a yellow plaid. Rumors are he got the idea for that one from something he wore.

cessna_corvalis_ttx_009.jpg

One of my personal favorites, but I actually like all the Corvalis TTX schemes.

Then I'm completely on the other end of the spectrum, because the simple elegant stuff is very appealing as well.

Lancair_Legacy-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey this post is a great idea ! I've got to come up with something for an experimental I'm planning. Keep those pics coming...,

I had the same task this last fall and just picked something that I thought would have a good ramp presence. Sorry Jeff, I didn't stick with the original Cessna paint scheme of the 1979 period.

NewPaintKIGM_zps0f61caf6.jpg

All the paint in the world doesn't compare

Attachments

• 170 Pictures 039.jpg
    170 Pictures 039.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 53
  • polished blue 1.jpg
    polished blue 1.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 170 Pictures 066.jpg
    170 Pictures 066.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 170 Pictures 035.jpg
    170 Pictures 035.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 41
I like the tu-tone schemes, white on top with darker colors in the lower half. Since it's a club plane and will probably fly a lot, it would make sense to paint it white with some colorful stripes that stay away for the cowl fasteners. :D
I'd look for something easy to maintain, stripes that cut across often used fasteners tend to get chipped and are hard to touch up vs white. ;)
I looked for airplanes I liked and copied one. :D
Do you have a quote on painting it yet?:eek:

All of our club planes have the same paint scheme that looks like this:

tn_1VA.jpg

They also all have numbers that end in VA (Victory Aviation). I think it's a nice touch.

All the paint in the world doesn't compare

A buddy of mine has a 170 with the polished metal and a dark maroon color. It's really something to see sitting on the ramp on a nice sunny day.

I like the paint on the one in the front. If you are going to the expense of re-painting, go big or go home.

Attachments

• f-16.bmp
    7 MB · Views: 61
2qmnu6x.jpg

Tsamsiyu, one of the coolest RVs I've seen. (I also went crazy nuts for the Avatar movie so I'm super biased.)

My favorites!

Attachments

• Relentless.jpg
    Relentless.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 43
  • James Redmond Berkut.jpg
    James Redmond Berkut.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 39
I am in the process of restoring my Cherokee. I replaced the radio stack last fall. My plane is in annual right now and I'm refurbishing the interior and overhauling the engine in the process. After this is over the main thing left will be the paint job. This paint scheme has been growing on me lately.

http://nocoastdesign.com/2013/02/24/piper-cherokee-180/

Back