Best Northern Arizona Airports

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
I have done most of my flying in the PHX area and towards the South. The only airports I have landed at North of PHX are Scottsdale, Deer Valley, Wickenburg and Payson. What airports would be good for a day trip to the Northern part of the Gran Canyon State?

Sedona? KSEZ
Prescott? KPRC
Flagstaff? KFLG
Grand Canyon? KGCN

All of the above? Others?

Later in the fall I am planning on flying up to Salt Lake City. I was thinking of going in baby steps. Maybe I'll do one flight to Prescott or Sedona, then maybe another to Flagstaff or Grand Canyon. I think this will help me start to stretch my cross country "legs" in preparation for my longer flight.

INW. If you can get a car you can go to Meteor Crater and the Standin' On The Corner park on Rt 66.

If you go to KPRC, review LAHSO before you go.

You know, I don't think I've ever landed at an airport with intersecting runways in use. That would be kind of fun! I landed at KRYN once, but 15/33 was closed, and I have never heard of anyone using 3/21 at KAVQ the few times I have been there.

The restaurant at Seligman looks like a neat place. I think my dad actually took me there when I was 12 years old. If it wasn't that place, it was some other small hole-in-the-wall burger joint in Seligman.

South of Grand Canyon, Valley Airport, there was an Aviation Museum there.

Well to the west, Lake Havasu, grab a ride down to the lake and London Bridge.

Yes to all you asked about.
Winslow also had (a few years ago) a great Mexican restaurant on airport.

Payson has a campground with hot showers and a restaurant on field.
Winslow has an restored Harvey hotel with one of the best restaurants in the State, the Turquoise Room. www.theturquoiseroom.net

If you go to KPRC, review LAHSO before you go.
Have they been using LAHSO lately?

I've honestly been to PRC many times in the last several years (mom lives in Prescott) and I've never heard them use LAHSO.

South of Grand Canyon, Valley Airport, there was an Aviation Museum there.
40G is definitely a good stop if you like old airplanes! Planes of Fame has their satellite museum there. Also there is a second smaller museum there with the Trimotor and some other golden age airplanes.

One idea would be to fly to Sedona for breakfast or lunch and then up to 40G to see the museum.

The restaurant at SEZ is outstanding.

I have done most of my flying in the PHX area and towards the South. The only airports I have landed at North of PHX are Scottsdale, Deer Valley, Wickenburg and Payson. What airports would be good for a day trip to the Northern part of the Gran Canyon State?

Sedona? KSEZ
Prescott? KPRC
Flagstaff? KFLG
Grand Canyon? KGCN

All of the above? Others?

Later in the fall I am planning on flying up to Salt Lake City. I was thinking of going in baby steps. Maybe I'll do one flight to Prescott or Sedona, then maybe another to Flagstaff or Grand Canyon. I think this will help me start to stretch my cross country "legs" in preparation for my longer flight.
What kind of airplane will you be flying and how much high DA flying have you done?

Not trying to scare you. Those airports are all very doable, just a bit different from departing the PHX area.

What kind of airplane will you be flying and how much high DA flying have you done?

Not trying to scare you. Those airports are all very doable, just a bit different from departing the PHX area.
My options are a 172N and an Archer III. Those are the two planes I rent. I have flown into Payson, but that is it as far as high DA airports. I rent the two planes from different FBO's. I am 'mountain checked out' in the 172, but not in the Archer. If I want to take the Archer North, the FBO requires I do a dual flight from Chandler to Sedona to Payson back to Chandler.

I have been there twice this year and both times ATIS said LAHSO operations were in effect. I always get 21L when landing and don't have a problem with completing my rollout well short of 12/30. I have been given 12 to take off on when winds are strong with plenty of traffic landing on 21L, mostly ER students on practice approaches.

If you cleared to land on 21L and given a LAHS of runway 12, you still have almost 6,000 feet of runway to use. I can't imagine how that would be anything to worry about. 6,000 feet is an awful lot of runway, even with a field elevation of ~5,000'. Is there something else I am missing?

As far as your trip to SLC, I recently flew up to northern Utah to visit my son. Going up the weather was severe clear and I stopped at Page for fuel, then worked my way up north through the mountains. Coming back they were obscured so I went via St. George. Both friendly FBO's and very scenic flights. Just make sure you follow the GCN routes coming south from St. George. Good luck!

Page (KPGA) is good and a great gateway to Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Lake Powell. It's a nice 1:45 flight from Phnx. A 10 minute walk to motel, or FBO will give you a ride. Show Low (KSOW) is nice, with a courtesy car for breakfast. Cottonwood (P52) is nice and has a car. The Arizona Pilots Assoc is flying there this weekend for a Wine Tour.
Have you done Ajo (P01)?? An interesting South flight, where you can fly through a VERY HOT restricted area, while they're conducting training around you. And you fly through it at 500' AGL. 7 min walk to breakfast at the country club. (closed in summer)

Last edited:
There is a cool little airport at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, right next to a cafe. Marble Canyon, L41.
https://www.google.com/search?q=marble+canyon+airport&biw=1093&bih=534&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwj5y462r5nMAhVW7GMKHRDqAvIQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=9E87UJsL9EShUM:

It's kind of takes, well, lets say some experience. 3713' long runway though. Down in a bit of a canyon...so pilot beware. I've been there. It was awesome!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...2!3m1!1s0x87346fea95831019:0x2140ff2473729af3

Last edited:
Marble canyon is a good place to visit while at Page. Only maybe 7 minutes away. Altitude restrictions for coming/going but easy enough. The runway is a bit narrow and rough, but not bad. Here's a good recent landing... not me.

INW. If you can get a car you can go to Meteor Crater and the Standin' On The Corner park on Rt 66.

+1 for Winslow. Do breakfast/lunch at the La Posoda hotel, excellent food

My options are a 172N and an Archer III. Those are the two planes I rent. I have flown into Payson, but that is it as far as high DA airports. I rent the two planes from different FBO's. I am 'mountain checked out' in the 172, but not in the Archer. If I want to take the Archer North, the FBO requires I do a dual flight from Chandler to Sedona to Payson back to Chandler.
There is a guy at Flagstaff giving primary training in a 172M, so it's clearly possible. Load light (no more that 2100 gross on a 172N unless it has a 180 conversion), expect poor climb performance, fly in the morning only, and for God's sake remember to lean at run-up.

If you use the Archer, Vy is barely above 70 knots at 10,000. This is key to making the damn thing climb.

Hello, I'm new to this website/forum. I figure this forum is as good as any to ask this question. I'm planning on flying out from MA (KORE) to Page, AZ (PGA) say July 1st or so to both make the trip and do some kayaking in Lake Powell. Pretty much did the route when I bought the plane and flew back from Deer Valley 12 yrs ago.

I'll be going down around the bottom of Rockies and up My question is what is best VFR route up through PHX and north to PGA. I've looked at terminal chart and have VFR transition. Tracon Freqs to the north etc. But after PHX...Should I follow 17 to Flag and then north (I think 89?)? Plane is a 206 2 people and gear so I have some reserve power for the elevation and density altitude. Any known issues besides elevation that you guys who fly that route know of? I love AZ and have spent a fair amount of time there on the ground backpacking and rafting the colorado.

Thanks in advance.
Erich

Erich,
'Just saw this post from a while back... I've flown that route maybe a dozen times, usually from Deer Valley. While just about anything will work, we just usually fly out of Phoenix to the NNE a bit, so that we pass just East of Flagstaff Delta (over Mormon lake), then pretty much North to Page. You'll need to fly at maybe about 7500-8500 to clear the foothills East of Humphreys Peak. We usually plan it to fly right over Tuba City (T03). Except for the rugged area just to the NE of Phoenix, there are plenty of meadows, roads, and open land for emergencies.

If you fly right up I17, you'll have to end up dealing with Flagstaff's Delta, and skirt around the 13,000 ft mountain. Unless you are real high, like 9-10K, you might have problems with FF.

Enjoy. You'll be flying into an area of incredible beauty. I'd really consider taking a spin around Page, and see the entire lake, Monument Valley, Bryce, Zion, and the Canyon.

Erich,
'Just saw this post from a while back... I've flown that route maybe a dozen times, usually from Deer Valley. While just about anything will work, we just usually fly out of Phoenix to the NNE a bit, so that we pass just East of Flagstaff Delta (over Mormon lake), then pretty much North to Page. You'll need to fly at maybe about 7500-8500 to clear the foothills East of Humphreys Peak. We usually plan it to fly right over Tuba City (T03). Except for the rugged area just to the NE of Phoenix, there are plenty of meadows, roads, and open land for emergencies.

If you fly right up I17, you'll have to end up dealing with Flagstaff's Delta, and skirt around the 13,000 ft mountain. Unless you are real high, like 9-10K, you might have problems with FF.

Enjoy. You'll be flying into an area of incredible beauty. I'd really consider taking a spin around Page, and see the entire lake, Monument Valley, Bryce, Zion, and the Canyon.

Thanks for the information. I'm sure people fly this route all the time but it's nice to hear from someone who has done it and is familiar with the area. I appreciate your response and am really looking forward to this trip. Hope the weather cooperates and we make it out there!

Good thread. I've been to just about every airport in Southern AZ and I've flown to Flagstaff and Payson a few times. Sounds like I need to fly a bit up further North to see some more.

Don't forget Show Low (KSOW) as well. Or if you head out to HolBrook (P14) you can get some wonderful views of the painted desert.

If you go east of Flag the north, the falls on the Little Colorado are worth a circle or two.

Doesn't that run only during the monsoon season ?

+1 for Winslow. Do breakfast/lunch at the La Posoda hotel, excellent food

Yes, there really is a statue of a man standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona, such a fine place to be, with a girl my lord in a flat bed Ford...... And the restaurant is good.

Page, Marble Canyon, Monument Valley ( in Utah)

Ah hmmm, Monument Valley is AZ, just because they have the entrance to the car park in UT, the actual beautiful Monument Valley structures are in AZ . :)

I'm talking airports. The Monument Valley airport is in Utah, UT25.

As a scavenger hunt, look for Rainbow Bridge when flying from Page to U25.

Back