best IFR DVD CRS?

T

tboehm

I'm getting ready to start IFR trainning and was wondering what everyone thought was the best course? Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.

When it came to IFR I cannot recommend any DVD course. I used the Cessna one and the King exam prep. But I learned the most from the Drogan and Jepp books. For the test I thought the Gleim cd was the way to go.

I first bought the Sportys IFR course, and i ended up selling it on ebay and buying the King course. The Sportys was just too centered on IFR flying, and not really teaching the Knowledge test information as well as what i wanted, also very boring, long stretches of video. The King course does not include anything not on the test and is well formatted. The jokes are a little corny, but the teaching material is very good, and that's what i recommend. Havent tried Jeppesen or others.

The choice of training courses depends on your learning style. If you're good with the on-camera lecture style of Martha and John, then the King DVD's are a good choice, although many people are happy with the Sporty's DVD's, too. If you're more of a bibliophile, I would recommend either Bob Gardners's Complete Advanced Pilot or BIll Kershner's Instrument Training Manual. And if you like computer-based interactive multimedia learning, there's the Jeppesen FliteSchool Instrument Rating Course.

For my private I used the King videos and I liked them but yes they corny. My instructors stated that they likes the Jepps books and trainning aides. While looking at the different advertisments my intial impression was the the sportys seemed like it might be a little better but I have no experience with them, i just remember that the stupid humor of king just struck me wrong. I will admit that I am a former military instructor and could point out all of the lame things that they were doing wrong. On the other side of the coin I will admit that I learned everything that they taught and passed the cousre with a 96% on the exam. I just wanted to hear from some others that may have used multipule crs material or instuctors that have. Again, any and all input is appreciated.

This was a long time ago, but I bought the King Video course on VHS tapes (no dvd in those days) and bought a copy of the entire exam pool of questions and read through them a couple of times... Worked for me as I got a 100% on the written...

denny-o

Bringing back an old thread... I'm in the same boat now. How about the Cessna (king) curriculum? I've been reading dogans book as well.

If you'd like an audio summary, try Gold Seal's Instrument Pilot Oral Exam Summary CDs. Great for listening in the car during drive time. If you have an iPhone, we also have an app in the Appstore with the same audio.

Here's the link: http://www.goldsealflight.com/store/courses

The King is (of course) corny but will keep you awake, Jeppesen ones are the best cure for insomnia known to man, Sportys are somewhere in between.

The King is (of course) corny but will keep you awake, Jeppesen ones are the best cure for insomnia known to man, Sportys are somewhere in between.

I've awaken to find the end of the segment on the screen several times on the Sportys IFR DVDs. I used Gleim to get through the written. The Sportys stuff did give a good perspective on what to expect during IFR operations.

Back