Best GA Airport in Kansas City Area?

Adam Weiss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kcmopilot
Might be relocating to Kansas City area.
Probaby in Olathe/Overland Park area.

Currently in a club.
I have owned in the past, and probably will in the near future (Short-listed to Mooney M20E, Glasair I/II, or Lancair 320/360...but that's a whole other topic :)).
Would like to know pluses/minuses of the following airports (or another, if I'm missing one) in regard to making that my home base. Things like hangar fees, general accessibility, FBOs, Fuel, mechanics..anything that would be helpful to know, from someone that's familiar.
Here are the probable airports I've identified:
K34
KIXD
KOJC

Thanks POA!

I rent at IXD, trained at OJC.

K34 is a nice, fun little local field, but it's a pretty small outfit. Self serve pumps that usually work, unless lightning wipes them out. 2 grass strips and one e/w paved rwy. Prevailing winds here are N/S, so you'd be using grass most of the time.

A couple of FBOs at both IXD and OJC. OJC has the reputation for $$$. OJC has a club, I don't think there is one at IXD.

Accessibility: OJC and IXD are about 7NM apart. OJC might be a little easier to get to, IXD might add another 5 minutes depending on where you are coming from. Both are actually pretty easy to get to. From OP, OJC is closest. From Olathe, you are pretty much right in between both of them. Depends where you live vs where you work.

Mechanics: one on field at K34 (a pretty good guy). Full service at IXD and OJC. As a renter, I don't know what arrangements the FBOs have with owners or which FBOs prefer to work on what aircraft.

Other fees: Sorry, can't help there with hangar or tie down fees.

As a renter: OJC has one FBO that rents newer model 172s. IXD has a wider variety of rentals. K34 used to have rentals, but I don't think they do anymore.

If you end up farther east, check into LXT. If you end up farther north, MKC might be an option.

I rent at IXD, trained at OJC.

K34 is a nice, fun little local field, but it's a pretty small outfit. Self serve pumps that usually work, unless lightning wipes them out. 2 grass strips and one e/w paved rwy. Prevailing winds here are N/S, so you'd be using grass most of the time.

A couple of FBOs at both IXD and OJC. OJC has the reputation for $$$. OJC has a club, I don't think there is one at IXD.

Accessibility: OJC and IXD are about 7NM apart. OJC might be a little easier to get to, IXD might add another 5 minutes depending on where you are coming from. Both are actually pretty easy to get to. From OP, OJC is closest. From Olathe, you are pretty much right in between both of them. Depends where you live vs where you work.

Mechanics: one on field at K34 (a pretty good guy). Full service at IXD and OJC. As a renter, I don't know what arrangements the FBOs have with owners or which FBOs prefer to work on what aircraft.

Other fees: Sorry, can't help there with hangar or tie down fees.

As a renter: OJC has one FBO that rents newer model 172s. IXD has a wider variety of rentals. K34 used to have rentals, but I don't think they do anymore.

If you end up farther east, check into LXT. If you end up farther north, MKC might be an option.
Great feedback @Matthew. Thanks for the info!

Back