best forum for part 107?

AndyMac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andy
I went the sUAS for Part 61 route for my Part 107, but am waiting for the FAA to process my part 61 application (still have my temporary airman's certificate from my PPL check-ride.) Looks like another couple of weeks before the FAA processes it.

Curious to know if there are many active 107 conversations here at PoA? I couldn't find a category for them so I figured I'd ask.

When I got my Part 107 for the first time (through the Part 61 route) I just did the online test portion on FAAST's website and went to a FSDO and did it in one go. I walked out with a Temporary Part 107 certificate. Not sure how yours will work there. You could also technically just pay $160 and do a test through PSI for your initial Part 107 exam if you need it faster. The recurrent test no longer costs any money and is online only on the FAA website.

What else about Part 107 do you want to know? :p I'm one of the professional drone pilots on POA and have about 3-4 years of experience so far.

I got my Remote Pilot license a couple of months ago and started a recreational drone program for a conservation club that I belong to. We allow drones up to two pounds and require participants to go through a drone safety class before they fly on club property. We offer recreational flights every Sunday for 2.5 hours. DJI has an active group of forums including one for commercial pilots. There are also a number of drone groups on Facebook.

Man. This is great information, thanks a lot.

So you think if I take my temporary airman certificate and my certificate of completion for the part 61 online course to the FSDO, they’ll issue me a temporary sUAV /remote pilot certificate? That may be worth the trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're going into the UA business, here's a video that might give you a head start:

Man. This is great information, thanks a lot.

So you think if I take my temporary airman certificate and my certificate of completion for the part 61 online course to the FSDO, they’ll issue me a temporary sUAV /remote pilot certificate? That may be worth the trip!

If you have the temporary certificate, it gives you the same privileges as the green card. You will get the green card within a couple of weeks. If you do not have the temporary certificate, you may be missing a step. You will need to have a CFI validate your biennial flight review and your ID. He or she will electronically sign the application with your test results. You get the temporary certificate as part of the sign-off process. The CFI I used was also a Remote Pilot and knew the process well. He charged me an hour at his flight rate for completion of the application.

If you have the temporary certificate, it gives you the same privileges as the green card.

I have the temporary part 61 PPL ASEL certificate. Iacra doesn’t have that part processed yet so it won’t take my application for the part 107 transition, but I did pass the online training so I should be able to do it - just wonder if the FSDO would make it work for me, or if I need a CFI to do it like you’ve said.

Very interesting. Shouldn’t be long before I have the green card for my part 61 cert so I can just wait I suppose?

[mention]write-stuff [/mention] how funny that Gold Seal did a small video on small business ownership and operation. As a business owner, I can confirm they touched on all the important parts. I especially appreciated that they acknowledge that most other operators are doing it poorly and that it doesn’t take that much work to beat them.

I especially appreciated that they acknowledge that most other operators are doing it poorly and that it doesn’t take that much work to beat them.

It's almost comical. Most folks starting up a drone business have not one clue on how to market themselves, how to shoot good video, nor how to edit it. The buy a drone and figure "I'm here. Hire me." That's it. That is the mentality. And it explains why the vast majority quickly fail and return to their day jobs.

Last edited:
When I got my Part 107 for the first time (through the Part 61 route) I just did the online test portion on FAAST's website and went to a FSDO and did it in one go. I walked out with a Temporary Part 107 certificate.

Sorry to loop back around - curious if you did this with a temporary airman's Part 61 certificate (resulting in TWO temporary airman's certificates?) That's where I am in the process.

You could also technically just pay $160 and do a test through PSI for your initial Part 107 exam if you need it faster. The recurrent test no longer costs any money and is online only on the FAA website.

I'm not THAT desperate lol. Going to PSI stresses me out! hehe

What else about Part 107 do you want to know? :p I'm one of the professional drone pilots on POA and have about 3-4 years of experience so far.
Thanks so much for the info. I'm not really sure that I want to make a full-time (or even part-time) business out of it, but I definitely like to fly my drone for more than the love of flying, so figured I should do the transition and get the certificate. I'm not much of an artist but I did figure I could probably get away with doing inspections (maybe even gutters, roofs, antenna towers? I don't know!). I wonder if utilities and municipalities might actually hire 107 remote pilots for these jobs. What has your experience been with that? Or maybe a better question is, what kind of aerial videography have you been doing for 3-4 years?

Sorry to loop back around - curious if you did this with a temporary airman's Part 61 certificate (resulting in TWO temporary airman's certificates?) That's where I am in the process.

I'm not THAT desperate lol. Going to PSI stresses me out! hehe

Thanks so much for the info. I'm not really sure that I want to make a full-time (or even part-time) business out of it, but I definitely like to fly my drone for more than the love of flying, so figured I should do the transition and get the certificate. I'm not much of an artist but I did figure I could probably get away with doing inspections (maybe even gutters, roofs, antenna towers? I don't know!). I wonder if utilities and municipalities might actually hire 107 remote pilots for these jobs. What has your experience been with that? Or maybe a better question is, what kind of aerial videography have you been doing for 3-4 years?

Sorry, was out of town this week! Didn't see the thread get bumped.

I had a PPL certificate years before I went to get my 107. I just went and got current again before I went to the FSDO (current flight review required to get your Part 107 through Part 61). Once I went in with the paperwork required, they printed me off a Temporary Part 107 and I got the plastic card later in the mail.

PSI is crazy stressful and always a pain to deal with. Not super happy that we're back to having to go through them for all initial exams again...

As cleanly stated above, there's a ton of drone pilots and companies and a lot of them aren't worth a thing. People who don't follow airspace or drone regs and undercut drastically on price on everything. Pretty much the best way to run a drone company in my experience is to separate yourself from the pack based on quality, reliability, and honesty. Be there when you are asked to be, turn in the best work always, and then be honest about what you can and can't do. Respond quickly and reach out when things go sideways. That'll put you ahead of like 80% of drone companies out there right now.

I've been an internal drone pilot for my whole career so far, so it's not quite the same as most people just signing up for pilot networks and doing jobs. I was hourly at first, then after a couple of promotions went to salary and now i'm 3 companies in and have always been a full-time hire. The work has always been changing, from roof inspections all day every day to survey and ortho work, to cell tower inspections and disaster relief work, to thermography and LIDAR and power pole inspections at oil and gas sites, plus some other neat stuff. Video was only really asked for as an add-on type deliverable to the imagery for the most part.

Most companies outsource the risk for drone pilots to drone networks full of people with a drone and a dream but no discipline or sufficient practice to be really good at flying/collecting data. If it was me, I'd start shooting for going in-company to get some experience and starting to get some stick time and familiarity with drones that you normally couldn't afford on your own (M200, M300, M600, Inspire 2, Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced, etc) and sensors (MicaSense RedEdge, Phoenix MiniRanger, Zenmuse XT2, Zenmuse H20T, etc) and then apply that elsewhere (your own business, other drone companies hiring, etc). Municipalities usually go through the COA method (certificate of authorization) for their police and fire sUAS operations so they can kind of follow Part 107 but with exceptions that allows them to do more than the 107 regs allow. Utility companies can have internal drone pilot programs but it depends on how deep their pockets are and if they've done the math on return on investment.

I did some training for some insurance companies that use drones for roof inspections, auto accidents, and etc, but those tend to be tacked on to their job duties instead of being a drone pilot only. In those cases it depends on what else you know other than drone operations to get a job at those places. Hope this helps!

Getting started through something like DroneBase during hail season might be a place to start. I hadn’t heard of them.

Crazy.

Getting started through something like DroneBase during hail season might be a place to start. I hadn’t heard of them.

Crazy.

Here's an example mission that came through my inbox yesterday. Not doing it but I still get pings from time to time.
Cu9RR5r.png

Not super great pay, but if you can find a place that gives these to you all the time you can make some decent money as they probably dont take too long to complete. A lot of drone work is contract based instead of internal/full time because of the wide variety of geographical areas that work tends to happen and it's not financially viable to fly drone pilots and their aircraft from A to B and spend hotel/per diem when you could just have someone local to the job do it instead. Unless the job is unique and requires a higher level of skill or knowledge or a special expensive aircraft/sensor setup.

Create a free account at DronePilotsCentral.com. It's free to you, and free for potential customers to search. They contact you directly and you keep all the money. But put some effort into your listing. Saying something like "Contact me for your drone jobs" isn't very compelling. Remember that you are always competing. This isn't one of those deals where everyone gets a trophy. You have to earn it.

Create a free account at DronePilotsCentral.com. It's free to you, and free for potential customers to search. They contact you directly and you keep all the money. But put some effort into your listing. Saying something like "Contact me for your drone jobs" isn't very compelling. Remember that you are always competing. This isn't one of those deals where everyone gets a trophy. You have to earn it.

Great advice. Thank you sir!

I wanted to thank you all again. I got the paperwork in order a couple weeks ago, met with a CFI yesterday to “recommend” me, submit the application via IACRA and get me back in the league of temporary airmen!

Back