Best for heat reduction - full cover or reflective window shields?

bcool

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bud
I'll be looking to score a deal at Airventure for something to help reduce the heat buildup in my Archer when I'm on a transient ramp.

Anyone with experience using an outside cover (ala Bruce's or Kennon's) vs. the reflective heat shields that fit on the inside of the windows?

I built an ice chest A/C unit but without some sort of cover to keep the heat from building up, it's almost too hot for it to do any good.

Full cover, and it's not even close.

I have a Bruce's cover for my Bo, and a full set of fitted window inserts (very nicely made), both came with the plane. In my mind, I thought how handy the inserts were, but to be honest, I can put the cover on in about the same time as it takes to crawl around the cabin installing the inserts, and I'm doing it outside, rather than inside the rapidly-heating cabin. The cover does a very good job of keeping heat out of the plane.

In addition to all that, the window inserts reflect the heat and UV right back at the windows, meaning the windows are getting extra UV wear, while the cover completely protects the windows.

I used the inserts once, and they've lived in their nice, fitted case ever since.

Plus, you'll want to have a cover anyway, for when you park somewhere for a longer period.

Fitted cover, for the win.

Yes, custom cover. Mine is from planecover.com. It keeps the rain out as a bonus.

Yes, the cover is more for the overnight or longer parking event.

Last edited:
Hold up.

What are you using it for?

Full time outdoor airplane?

Short term, while you're munching on your $100 burgers?

Unless my airplane lived outdoors there is no way on earth Id haul around a full cover and look like a monkey wrestling a football trying to put the stupid thing on.

Just get a car sunshade.

I've just hung a towl up inside my windshield before and I got zero sun damage and not much heat, plus the towel doubles as a.. towel.

Last edited:
I've got both for the Aztec. There's no perfect solution, they each have their plus and minus.

The window inserts are lighter and take up less space in the plane, but I don't really enjoy crawling around the inside of the airplane installing them. Often I'll just install the windshield inserts if the plane is on the ground for few hours only.

The cockpit cover (mine is from Bruce's) works really well and despite its size I have it down to a system where I can install it in about 2 minutes by myself. The only downsides to the external cockpit cover are a) it weighs 15 lbs in the bag, and b) making sure the windows are clean. If there's any potentially abrasive dust contamination on the outside of the windows there is a risk that the cover, despite it's soft interior surface, moves a bit in the wind and can do some minor damage to the exterior window surface. Cleaning them before putting on the cover is prudent.

If I am going anywhere overnight or longer I always take the exterior cover, except in the very rare instance I need the additional useful load.

Last edited:
I used to have a big Bruce's cover for my previous plane but I can't use it on the new plane because it has a bunch of extra antennas. Have started using the window reflective shades and they seem to work well plus they are smaller and lighter to carry around in the luggage compartment.

I have my fiancée take them off or put them on. It's an easy task she can do while I pre or post flight the airplane and she isn't affected by heat at all so she doesn't mind crawling around in a warm cabin.

I also like using a full cover when I am away from the hangar. Mine came from Jim Cancil at planecovers.com. It is easy enough to install by myself.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 33
I also like using a full cover when I am away from the hangar. Mine came from Jim Cancil at planecovers.com. It is easy enough to install by myself.

Nice looking Cherokee!

On most pipers and cessnas it's just the windshield that's the big offender, just get one of those springy windshield shades for $10 from the auto parts place.

images

Used these in everything from little 2 seaters to C208Bs, current work plane has the silly Bruce suction cup shades, overpriced crap, they fall out way easier then the automotive shade, cost an insane amount, and really do the same job at keeping the plane cool and dark, well when they don't fall out.

Only thing is with the multiple pieces and failing suction cup design we don't use them much, where as the fold up and spring open car shade was used quite often.

Last edited:
Get the cover for sure. I had a full set of (3 on each side plus 2 for windshield) window inserts and although they work nice they are bulky to carry in the plane and take as long to put on vs. the cover so I recently got Bruce's Travel cover (lighter material) and really like that setup. I have a hangar so wanted something for when I travel and have to tie the plane overnight away from home. The benefit of the cover is not only does it protect against the sun but also prevents any rain from leaking in and it folds down much more compact than a full set of window screen inserts.

Attachments

• 2016-07-02 14.29.20.jpg
    2016-07-02 14.29.20.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 26
Previous owner of my plane had the cover. Obviously neglected to clean the windows before throwing the cover on. Windows (except for the crazed one I replaced) all show signs of rubbing. I second the car style windshield thingy.

For short term needs, you can't go wrong with the springy car shades as James mentions. Used one during a trip to Houston and it made a big difference in cabin temp during preflight and CRM setup as we got ready to depart around 4:00pm.

Back