Best Flight Time LogBook for Iphone / PC

2eyedocs

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Can anyone recommend a good iphone / ipad app for flight time logging that syncs with a PC or Mac? The two or three I found so far don't get very high marks from current users.
Thanks,
Mark Hanley
Cirrus SR-22
Arlington, TX
2eyedocs@gmail.com

LogTen Pro is a first-rate app; very stable and has every option imaginable yet allows quick data-entry and search functions. Even records your currency statistics based on how many landings you've made (for vfr and ifr) and hour limits within given FAA timeframes. Trips, reports (can pull all kinds of data! - sectors flown, flights vs. time by year, summary by state, overnight trips, etc etc etc) certificates, types and aircraft (lets you select entered aircraft in a drop-down when you log time) plus many export options.

....but my I'm a student pilot so I can't really use it - hopefully I can spread the word for some others though!

I also use LogTen Pro (on the Mac) and LogTen Mobile (on the iPhone). I enter my flights on the iPhone as soon as I get into the hangar, and sync with the Mac later on. Works great! I've got all 900 or so hours in LogTen Pro, and I've been using the Mac + iPhone combo since somewhere in the 600-650 hour range, I think. Well worth it! :yes:

Does it cost money?

--

And Mark - Welcome to PoA!

LogTenPro if you've got Apple on the phone and the desk... Logbook Pro if you've got Apple on the Phone and Windows on the desk.

Wish Logbook Pro would do an android version.

LogTenPro if you've got Apple on the phone and the desk... Logbook Pro if you've got Apple on the Phone and Windows on the desk.

Wish Logbook Pro would do an android version.

I didn't even know they had an iPhone version!

Thanks, everyone for the replies. And the welcome :wink2:! Looks like Logten Pro wins.
Mark Hanley
Arlington, TX
Cirrus SR-22

LogTen Pro for iPad $79.99, for iPhone $49.99. Does it really worth it? Looks a little bit too pricey to me. Is there any cheap alternatives?

LogTen Pro for iPad $79.99, for iPhone $49.99. Does it really worth it? Looks a little bit too pricey to me. Is there any cheap alternatives?

The "Pro" version is complete, full-featured, and IMO unneccesary unless you're not going to be running it on a Mac. I use "LogTen Mobile" to enter flights and sync them to the Mac later, and it's not nearly as pricey.

Well, what the hell. Looks like they're not selling anything but the "Pro" version any more. They used to have "Student" and "Private" and "CFI" type versions at lower costs with feature sets that each type of pilot would use. $50 for the iPhone version plus $149 for the desktop Mac version is a bit much if you're not a professional pilot (there are a TON of features geared toward the pros). :frown2:

I guess at this point, given what's out there now, I would probably just buy LogTen Pro for the iPad only - It's with me when I fly, and it's got enough power and screen size to be the sole device I use it on.

I'd buy it right away if they had a lesser-priced version for those of us not flying 500+ hours annually. I'm an iPad and Mac user, and I'd like to enter my past flights on the Mac then sync them, and update incrementally only on the iPad. As it is now, I'd be out $230 for both pieces of software. Nuts! Perhaps someone else knows of a way to get past flights into the iPad from a computer? I dread entering all of the data on the iPad touch screen. Guess I could use a bluetooth keyboard...

I'd buy it right away if they had a lesser-priced version for those of us not flying 500+ hours annually. I'm an iPad and Mac user, and I'd like to enter my past flights on the Mac then sync them, and update incrementally only on the iPad. As it is now, I'd be out $230 for both pieces of software. Nuts! Perhaps someone else knows of a way to get past flights into the iPad from a computer? I dread entering all of the data on the iPad touch screen. Guess I could use a bluetooth keyboard...

I would jump on the Coradine forums and tell them exactly what you say above - They are very responsive, and might be willing to work out some sort of solution with you.

I would jump on the Coradine forums and tell them exactly what you say above - They are very responsive, and might be willing to work out some sort of solution with you.

Agreed. They're the fastest tech support responders of any software I own.

When they held a sale last year for a "bundle" of desktop, iPad, and iPhone - I already owned two of those, they responded to my request asking if I could get the iPad version for the difference in price between the iPad version minus the others, within two hours, on a weekend night, with a courtesy code to enter at checkout that subtracted the difference.

I've also run across a couple of bugs which were fixed quickly and they even offered to help import some data from Logbook Pro a couple of years ago. I figured out the problem myself (stubborn) but they had offered to completely fix the data and send it back to me in email. I had duplicated airports in the data due to importing it all in a weird way.

Best customer support folks ever. They're serious about wanting each and every customer's business.

Yep. A paper logbook and a pen. ;)

Sounds like a plan to me B)

After checking out couple options I've come to conclusion that there is no alternative to paper and pen at this moment that fits my mission.

The "Pro" version is complete, full-featured, and IMO unneccesary unless you're not going to be running it on a Mac. I use "LogTen Mobile" to enter flights and sync them to the Mac later, and it's not nearly as pricey.

Well, what the hell. Looks like they're not selling anything but the "Pro" version any more. They used to have "Student" and "Private" and "CFI" type versions at lower costs with feature sets that each type of pilot would use. $50 for the iPhone version plus $149 for the desktop Mac version is a bit much if you're not a professional pilot (there are a TON of features geared toward the pros). :frown2:

I guess at this point, given what's out there now, I would probably just buy LogTen Pro for the iPad only - It's with me when I fly, and it's got enough power and screen size to be the sole device I use it on.

Buy LogTen Pro for the Mac (the only option), then use LogTen Mobile for the iPhone/iPad. The latter is free, the former costs $149.99. Its way better than LogBookPro too, so if you have your choice between both, I'd go LogTenPro anyday.

Buy LogTen Pro for the Mac (the only option), then use LogTen Mobile for the iPhone/iPad. The latter is free, the former costs $149.99. Its way better than LogBookPro too, so if you have your choice between both, I'd go LogTenPro anyday.

Check my post again, Nick - "LogTen Mobile" is no longer available on the app store. The only version of LogTen that can be had from the App Store now is Pro. :(

Yep. A paper logbook and a pen. ;)

Next time you go for a checkride, you'll probably change your mind. Getting all the numbers for the 8710 for my Comm-ASEL ride was bad enough that I forked over all the dough and spent three days entering all my flights into LogTen Pro before my Comm-AMEL ride a month later. Well worth it, since I expect there to be more checkrides in my future. :yes:

Check my post again, Nick - "LogTen Mobile" is no longer available on the app store. The only version of LogTen that can be had from the App Store now is Pro. :(

Gay. My iPod crapped out on me too, so I won't be able to get it back either. And no android version. Weak sauce.

Gay. My iPod crapped out on me too, so I won't be able to get it back either. And no android version. Weak sauce.

Do a search on your Mac. You should find "LogTen Mobile.ipa" or somesuch, and it should still appear under "Apps" in iTunes. Plug in an iDevice, tell it to sync that app, and you're back in business.

Barring that, check with Coradine - Like Nate says, they really do have stellar customer support. They might be able to do something for you if the above doesn't work.

I use SafeLog. It's pretty cheap and has several versions. I use the web version which I can log on from any computer and access my data since the company stores it. They have both iPhone and iPad optimized web versions so no need to buy 2 different apps. If you want offline storage they have computer and iPhone apps with an iPad app on the way.

Hmm I never spent a penny on LogTen Pro on my iphone, but I'm not sure what the limitations will be? It's worked well so far, but like I said I can't really use it since I'm training and my instructor is filling mine out and will be endorsing it, etc.

This kinda thing would be good for notes and trip reports as well, or for a quick logbook entry that I can fill into the book for official records later.

Seems I bought LogTenPro last summer on my iPad and forgot I bought it as I never got into using it until now... that was a nice surprise. As I posted above, I wasn't looking forward to entering all of the information via the touchscreen, but I did suck it up and enter everything manually (only about 100 flights). That took maybe 5-6 hours, but now that it's done I'm pretty pleased with it. I set up a field for "TAA" on each aircraft, and can enable "TAA" if I'm in a glass-panel plane to log the Technologically Advanced Aircraft time. On one page, I can see days left on my medical, day/night currency, TAA time, and flights in past week/month/6/12months. Also, there are numerous options for exporting the data (tab delimited spreadsheets included).

Safelog does sound like an interesting option and I might take a look at that, but am pretty content with LogTenPro.

EstorilM, I'd start logging everything right now as a student. You can still log all of your training flights even if your instructor is filling out your paper logbook...just copy the data in LogTenPro. Be sure to properly log dual time, XC, simulated instrument, day/night landings, etc. If you do start to use LogTen in the future, you'll want to have all of this data already entered...and it's a lot easier to enter 6hrs than 50 or 100+ hours all at once, down the road.

Man. I already gave Coradine like a hundred something for Logten Pro for the Mac. Now if I want to enter flights on my iPad I have to give them another $80? That's a bit insane.

Almost insane enough to make me want to compete with them...

Man. I already gave Coradine like a hundred something for Logten Pro for the Mac. Now if I want to enter flights on my iPad I have to give them another $80? That's a bit insane.

Almost insane enough to make me want to compete with them...

Heh. That's Option A. Option B is to e-mail them what you just said and see what they'll do. Worked for me! ;)

A little perspective is in order though: You paid them less than the all-in operating costs of a Cessna 182 for less than one hour. ;)

$100 ain't nothin' anymore. Welcome to inflation that the powers-that-be say doesn't exist. :(

Serious question: You're a software dev. You said "Almost" because you know how much you'd have to work and charge to make it worth your time.

How many hours of coding would it take, and how many users at $100 a pop would it take to pay your salary and benefits every year selling logbook software in a "market" with two players, one who's locked up the Apple crowd and the other who's locked up the Windows crowd, plus they both have serious competition from a $5 notebook and a pen? (!)

I think they're doing it pretty cheap, considering the realities! ;)

What'cha think? My take is, if you're an Apple person, and want an electronic logbook - pay Coradine their money and get 'er done. If you're a Winderz person, same thing. Pay LogBook Pro their ounce of flesh, and done deal. (If you're Winderz desktop and Apple mobile, the nod probably goes to LogBook Pro in that one.)

If you're too poor to buy either one, grab a notebook from the store and a pen and spend the $100 you have left on flyin'! ;) :D

Jesse,
Looks to me like the market is there. Any 100 hours/year pilot that has iDevice would love to have his logbook right there on his device but unlikely to pay more then $10-15 per year IMO.
Couple points that needs to be covered - cloud backup, import to TBD format and electronic signature. I didn't spend enough time learning eLogbooks concept but how does your CFI signes you off?

Back