Best fast food burger?

In N Out Burger or Five Guys

• In N Out

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Five Guys

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, but you do have a new Stuben's in Arvada (my brother in law is running it). So you have that going for you, which is nice.

I'll try it! I'm sure if I said Frogs97 recommended it, I'll get preferential seating? :)

Ha! If I thought it would make a difference, I'd tell you to go for it. But he is in the back all the time, so you would just get a funny look!

I just realized it's the old Gunther Toody's ... dang, I miss Gunther Toody's for breakfast ...

In and Out by a mile. Fresh ingredients, clean well run operations, and even when packed a rapid turnaround. As mentioned up thread the customer service is incredible. Ordered a burger well done for the wife when she was expecting our second, took it home and it wasn't done correctly. Sent an email, received an immediate reply with coupons for free food and told that the manager would be notified to work with the staff. Never had another issue with well done burgers at that location again.

Speaking of well done, ask for the fry's well done, or extra well done. I think it gives what some of the other posters are looking for in the fry's are missing something comments.

Second place Habit, after that nothing chain.

I think the problem with 5 Guys is that they wrap their burgers in foil-lined paper. The bun, meat, and other ingredients steam together into mushy glob.
Yep, that is the ONLY thing wrong with them. I hate opening the burger (even when eating at the restaurant) and the burger bun is moist with sweat from the foil wrap. LOL

The burger meat is the best I've ever tasted (East coaster so no In-n-Out) and the fries are awesome (I saw they put Cajun seasoning on them). The price is relatively expensive (burger, fries, and drink runs about $14/person).

image.jpeg Sometimes, you need a Triple Whopper with cheese and onion rings to get it done.

I am pretty sure Burger Chef was a regional (Alabama) thing. I never saw one anywhere else.
No way! I grew up eating them in Ohio - and they were great. I understand that the chain was bought out by Wimpy Burger (a British company) - and it was all downhill from there.
Wimpy had the worst burger I ever tasted (I tried one in the UK).

Dave

Yep, that is the ONLY thing wrong with them. I hate opening the burger (even when eating at the restaurant) and the burger bun is moist with sweat from the foil wrap. LOL

The burger meat is the best I've ever tasted (East coaster so no In-n-Out) and the fries are awesome (I saw they put Cajun seasoning on them). The price is relatively expensive (burger, fries, and drink runs about $14/person).
Well, you also mentioned the other thing wrong with them: The Price! Nothing wrong with In-n-Out (except the fries are yuk!) - but Habit Burger is better. Had one last night - only $3.29 for a single, a buck more for a double. I opt for the teriyaki burger with sauce and a slice of pineapple for only 25 cents more. That said, there is a local one-off called Kyle's Kitchen that has equally good innards and a superior bun. Their double-fried, seasoned fries are to die for.

Dave

No way! I grew up eating them in Ohio - and they were great. I understand that the chain was bought out by Wimpy Burger (a British company) - and it was all downhill from there.

Dave
Shows how much I know.....

I think everyone agrees that the "best" hamburger is usually a mom and pop type place. Hamburger King in Montgomery Al. Has the best hamburger and it isn't even close. That's all they do, 11-2 M-F, i mean, that's all they do. There is no menu, ordering consists of a number, how many? Between the two poll choices, Five Guys.

Five Guys is a good chain burger. But how does Hamburger King compare to Shiela C's? Note that they moved from Tallassee to Auburn just before I moved the other way.

Five Guys is a good chain burger. But how does Hamburger King compare to Shiela C's? Note that they moved from Tallassee to Auburn just before I moved the other way.
I don't know this Sheila C's you speak of......sounds like a reason to go on a "burger run".

I'm in the BHM area and have heard of Hambugger King but not Shiela's. Now I have 2 on the list. Speaking of Tallassee what's the status of the Tallassee Hotel? Man they used to have a great lunch there years ago.

Sorry, but BK is bottom of the barrel in my book.

It's just a matter of personal taste. Of the national mega chains, which I sort of lump in one classification anyway, which is low but I'll eat there, I put them all roughly equivalent, but in pecking order, for me it's Carl's, then Burger King, and after that it really doesn't matter whether it's a Jack in the Box, McD's, or Wendy's.

The step up from those to Habit, Inn & Out or other smaller chains is large. Five Guys seems to be an anomaly, it seems like people either completely love it or completely hate it.

I'm in the BHM area and have heard of Hambugger King but not Shiela's. Now I have 2 on the list. Speaking of Tallassee what's the status of the Tallassee Hotel? Man they used to have a great lunch there years ago.
You're right, The Hotel Tallassee had fantastic food, but i am afraid I dont know the current status. I seem to remember that it never reopened after a fire, perhaps @Hank S can give us the scoop.

Shiela C's is on Shug Jordan in Auburn, less than a mile from the stadium. Be hungry when you go there!

The Tallassee Hotel burned some years ago; my aunt used to drive out from Montgomery to eat there. One of the cooks has just opened a restaurant serving much of the same food (I've been told, I missed the restaurant, went through Auburn on the broke plan, couldn't afford gas to Tallassee much less eating out). Food at the new place is good. I found out that they replace fried chicken with fried fish on Friday, but still have chicken fingers and a third meat. It's a fixed price menu including drink and dessert, one meat, one veggie, drink and dessert is $6.50, plus a dollar for each additional side. I generally have two sides. Other days they have fried chicken AND chicken fingers; I've seen fired and roasted pork chops and meatloaf as the other choice, with fish in Friday.

Come to Tallassee and let's eat! The airport is open, but no fuel or services. Unfortunately the restaurant is closed on Saturday and serves only lunch the other six days. Let's fill up the old Subaru wagon--how many hungry pilots will it hold???

Last edited:
If you are ever around a Culver's I highly recommend the butter burger. I believe they are mostly in the Upper Midwest.
http://www.culvers.com/
Also their deep-fried cheese curds are amazing.

The Tallassee Hotel burned some years ago; my aunt used to drive out from Montgomery to eat there. One of the cooks has just opened a restaurant serving much of the same food QUOTE]

When I lived in MGM we used to drive over too. What's the name of the cook's restaurant now, and is it in Tallassee? So a former cook at the Hotel? And you say fish on Sat, then say they're closed on Sat? I'm sooo confused, must be the heat!

This poll is flawed. The only correct answer is Whataburger.

Man, I feel my arteries and colon hardening just from reading this thread....

I give up,but any burger. you can up size to a double at a triple witH no bun is for me ,always add cheese and bacon.

Oops! Larry's Restaurant is closed on Saturday, and has fried fish on Friday. It's on Hwy 14 towards Auburn. Good food but not much atmosphere. Larry was one of the hotel cooks; my boss is his brother in law.

Recalling my IFR training days - I believe that HABUT is an abbreviation for HALIBUT. IIRC it is over the ocean.

Dave
I checked on it - HABUT is an offshore intersection, named in some IFR Procedures. There is a "HABUT 4" departure from Santa Barbara (SBA).

Dave

I like Wimpy!

But they're not British - it was originally founded in Indiana, and it's a South African company now. They're everywhere over there - a lot more popular than McDonalds.

The burgers aren't particularly great though, but their fries are, well... stale and floppy.

Come to think of it. I don't know why I like them...

Childhood memories I guess.

Back