Best family portal/community site?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
We're looking for a password-protected site (invitees only) where multiple family members from across the country can keep in touch, post stories, pictures, what's going on. Think of it as a "mega-blog".

I know there are sites like this out there, but have not used one before. Any suggestions on the best of the best?

We're looking for a password-protected site (invitees only) where multiple family members from across the country can keep in touch, post stories, pictures, what's going on. Think of it as a "mega-blog".

I know there are sites like this out there, but have not used one before. Any suggestions on the best of the best?

The great GOOGLE has Google Groups, which I think would cover what you need:

http://groups.google.com/intl/en/googlegroups/tour3/index.html

You can create your own, make it invite only, and send out the invites as necessary. And since it's Google, it's not evil.™

you can set up Blogger so that only certain people can post and read. Our flying club has done this, any member who requests can get posting permissions, but we leave it open to the public to read. Im sure you could make it only readable by people who log in as well.

Goodgriefgollygeewhiz!

Note to self: Look carefully at ANY link Nick post in the future PRIOR to clicking on it!

NICK! NSFW!

I had enough sense not to click on it, but if I had been on my work PC....
(I'll edit the post.)

YeeHaw! Ride 'em cowboy! (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Planting your tongue elsewhere could get you in trouble.

:hairraise:

With that website, I'd bet that it would get me something other than trouble....

lbuckingham said:
I should run
On the double
I think I'm in trouble
I think I'm in trouble
I think I'm in trouble

you think its funny when you almost click on nick's swingers site at work, you should see how funny it is in flashchat when someone asks for a link to a learn to fly site and nick provides a swingers site.

Cursor was over the link and before I clicked I read the URL. No browser history to worry about.

I don't have access to the browser history. Guess why that is?

I expect that if my new corp laptop blundered across something really bad - and it was offline to work - I'd take action up to and including "The hard disk just crashed." :rolleyes:

When it's online it goes through the corp proxy, so it's up to the gnomes to filter out bad things and display the "You're about to be fired!" message. :hairraise:

you think its funny when you almost click on nick's swingers site at work, you should see how funny it is in flashchat when someone asks for a link to a learn to fly site and nick provides a swingers site.

Makes ya wonder what kinds of sites Nick frequents on a daily basis :D

Back to the original question, Troy, my girlfriend did this last year as a gift to her dad's side of the family. I just emailed her to see which service she used, hopefully she'll reply while I'm typing this.

She said that it was a very easy site to use, and she actually had it all set up in a matter of a few days. Each family member signs up for their own login, and as the administrator, she has to approve anyone who requests access. There are places to upload pictures, share recipes, post announcements, chat, and a calendar where they can post family events, and I think there might even be a couple of other things too.

Her family does tend to use it quite a bit, and even her grandparents, who don't do much with computers, do go on there once in a while.

It is a pay site, but I think it was like $50/year or something reasonable like that.

Well, she hasn't replied yet, but I'll stop rambling on now and I'll post again when she replies.

Back