Best Chicago area airport for PIZZA

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
Title says it all. Saturday, weather permitting, I am going to fly out to the Chicago area with a buddy for some pizza. Any of the area fields have good pizza either on the field or close by?

KMDW. Park at Atlantic and get the crew car to Giordano's. Call Atlantic in range and they can order the pizza for you. The deep dish takes about 45 minutes to cook so plan accordingly.

giordanos.com

P.S. the restaurant is on the SE corner of the field. If they are landing to the NW (they often do) you get to see SouthWests 737's fly over your head at about 50 to 100 feet while you eat.

I don't know the Chicago airports well, but go to www.giordanos.com. They have places scattered all around the city. I'm sure one has to be close to an airport. I pick up a pizza there everytime I'm in town or bring one home with me.

How is it that the PIZZA intersection is outside Columbus, OH? Should clearly be near the NYC metro area :D:thumbsup:

Gee for $63 they'll ship you a $25 pizza by fedex...

Title says it all. Saturday, weather permitting, I am going to fly out to the Chicago area with a buddy for some pizza. Any of the area fields have good pizza either on the field or close by?

Mei..., oh, wait, never mind.

if you WANT real Pizza you have to fly into HVN. That's right NEW HAVEN Connecticut.

2 places - Pepe's and Sallys. Yanks and Red Sox - both usually pretty good.

There are few places in Brooklyn I can recommend, a place in Astoria near the Ditmars Plaza subway stop, and a couple joints in Joisey - but there is no pizza in Chicago - what Chicago has is thick bread and cheese with sauce.

But if its Chicago then yeah, MDW. Park at Atlantic- geta top to waive the fees - ask them for the weekend fuel discount - and walk down to the Giordanos on the corner of Cicero and 63rd. Make sure its daylight.

Last edited:
3CK - Lake In The Hills- a gentle 2 block walk on a bike trail to Nick's Pizza
Pizza is very good (thin crust) OR crew car 3 miles away to Lou Malanati's -Excellent deep dish. Either one is great choice!

Pizza is very good (thin crust) OR crew car 3 miles away to Lou Malanati's -Excellent deep dish. Either one is great choice!

Nicks is good.

I flew in to lansing (IGQ) a few years back and had Beggars pizza delivered to us. It was great pizza at a nice airport with friendly people.

Bolingbrook's Clow (1C5).
Within a mile you'll find a Nancy's, a Lou Malnati's, an Aurelio's, and a Home Run Inn. Personally, I prefer the Lou Malnatis. Note that they don't all have seating in the restaurant, but there are picnic tables at the airport where you could eat it. They have a crew car there, too.

Bolingbrook's Clow (1C5).
Within a mile you'll find a Nancy's, a Lou Malnati's, an Aurelio's, and a Home Run Inn. Personally, I prefer the Lou Malnatis. Note that they don't all have seating in the restaurant, but there are picnic tables at the airport where you could eat it. They have a crew car there, too.

Thread closed.

I don't know about Bolingbrook ( clow) ,but the 3ck Lou's is a nice sit down restaurant ( some are carry out only)

I don't know about Bolingbrook ( clow) ,but the 3ck Lou's is a nice sit down restaurant ( some are carry out only)
The Bolingbrook location is carryout only, "forcing?" you to eat it at the airport, watching the flightline! :)

Giordano's for certain.

I like all pizza, chicago pizza is just different. "Hey, you want real pizza, ya gotta to TO chicago to get it". Which makes me wonder....if it's so good how come the only place they make is is in chicago?

Are you looking for pizza or a cassarole baked in a bread crust?

At the risk of being called a thread hijacker.....best pizza I have ever had anywgere was at La Malta on the Place de Tanneurs in Aix-en-Provence. Wood fired oven, crispy thin crust, awesome.

But if its Chicago then yeah, MDW. Park at Atlantic- geta top to waive the fees - ask them for the weekend fuel discount - and walk down to the Giordanos on the corner of Cicero and 63rd. Make sure its daylight.

Went there and it was great! Pics to follow later. The Chicago approach guy felt the need to remind me during my descent that I would not get a Bravo clearance. In related news, water is wet and the sky is blue. I didn't ask for a Bravo clearance. But I did wait awhile to start going down so as to prolong my time above the summer bumps.

Topped off at Atlantic but they did NOT waive fees. They did drive us down and back to Giordano's, though.

Taxiing out of MDW takes forever. Thoses guys handling GROUND traffic are way too busy. Won an argument with departure about my squawk code.

On the way back we were at 9500' above the scattered clouds. As they got thicker, and taller, I decided to drop through a gap. Of course, with bases in the 5000' range I had to drop all the way down to 3500'. At my best I showed a 1700fpm descent rate.:D:yikes:

Final irony - the winds at MDW were fine. But back home I had winds 80 degrees off of the runway and 9G21.:dunno:

Sounds like you accomplished your goal. :D Looking forward to the pics.

Are you looking for pizza or a cassarole baked in a bread crust?

we were in Chicago almost 2 years ago in November, I was really working my diet program, but decided I would get some deep dish Chicago pizza while I was there! :DJust no beer. :mad2:
I don't remember the name of the place, I think it was Giordano's, but it was packed on a Sunday afternoon, the pizza was good, not wonderful, the earth didn't move or anything. :rolleyes: I guess it's one of those things where you think it's going to be spectacular and in the end it's peperoni, cheese, tomato sauce and crust.:dunno:

Went there and it was great! Pics to follow later. The Chicago approach guy felt the need to remind me during my descent that I would not get a Bravo clearance. In related news, water is wet and the sky is blue. I didn't ask for a Bravo clearance. But I did wait awhile to start going down so as to prolong my time above the summer bumps.

Topped off at Atlantic but they did NOT waive fees. They did drive us down and back to Giordano's, though.

Taxiing out of MDW takes forever. Thoses guys handling GROUND traffic are way too busy. Won an argument with departure about my squawk code.

On the way back we were at 9500' above the scattered clouds. As they got thicker, and taller, I decided to drop through a gap. Of course, with bases in the 5000' range I had to drop all the way down to 3500'. At my best I showed a 1700fpm descent rate.:D:yikes:

Final irony - the winds at MDW were fine. But back home I had winds 80 degrees off of the runway and 9G21.:dunno:

sounds like you need a home airport with a cross wind runway and better pizza. . .

Back