Best beginner books for PPL

Capt.Crash'n'Burn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Capt.Crash'n'Burn
I browsed through the recent threads and this hasn't come up in a whil so I thought I'd start a new thread.

It looks like I'm going to have the money now to start the process of getting my PPL, so I thought I'd get the book learning out of the way.

What are the best books out there that I could get off of Amazon that will treach me what I need to know for; 1st thing, just a basic liscense, then the upgrades to complex, IFR, multi-engine and perhaps amphibious?

IMHO all the regulatory stuff is well and good, but useless until you have a grasp of what flying is. There are few books that can compare to Stick and Rudder- - An explanation of the art of flying by Wolfgang Langewiesche. Every pilot should have this in a honored position on his bookshelf.

Cute. On a more serious note, the FAA publishes several good books, and you don't have to spend $50+ on them. They are all free as PDFs. And more importantly, they are THE source material for the written exam.

The PHAK has some errors in it, but not more than Rod Machado's book. If you want good physics, use the See How It Flies website.

I just went with the Sporty's private pilot kit. It includes textbooks and practice tests. It did fine for me. I bought the Gleim kit for instrument training. Can't say there was much difference.

NineThreeKilo's suggestions are great...just understand that "From the Ground Up" comes in both American and Canadian versions and be sure to get the right one. ASA's product catalog (www.asa2fly.com) would be very useful. I've PM'd my real favorite.

Bob Gardner

NineThreeKilo's suggestions are great...just understand that "From the Ground Up" comes in both American and Canadian versions and be sure to get the right one. ASA's product catalog (www.asa2fly.com) would be very useful. I've PM'd my real favorite.

Bob Gardner

You're too modest sir -- I own two (both?) of Bob's books (The Complete Private Pilot, and the Complete Advanced Pilot), which cover most everything you need to know from your private to instrument to commercial licenses. They're also written in a way that sounds like your instructor is talking to you in ground school or in the cockpit, which I find helpful. I've used them to supplement the Sporty's PPL videos (which aren't books of course), and the FAA's books, which can be downloaded online for free (Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, and the Instrument Flying Handbook). So much to read, so little time...:yesnod:

I bought both Machado and Jeppesen (used), didn't really refer to either, gave them both away. Used Gleim for test prep, gave it away when I was done.

I kept AFH, PHAK, FAR/AIM, PTS and Stick & Rudder.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!! :thumbsup:

I think I'll start with Rob Machado's book since there's a used copy for $13.

If I don't like it, I'll get Bob Gardner's book. I think I'll also get Stick and Rudder, sounds good.

Not a book exactly, but I recommend Budd Davisson's airbum.com

You're too modest sir -- I own two (both?) of Bob's books (The Complete Private Pilot, and the Complete Advanced Pilot), which cover most everything you need to know from your private to instrument to commercial licenses. They're also written in a way that sounds like your instructor is talking to you in ground school or in the cockpit, which I find helpful. I've used them to supplement the Sporty's PPL videos (which aren't books of course), and the FAA's books, which can be downloaded online for free (Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, and the Instrument Flying Handbook). So much to read, so little time...:yesnod:

:thumbsup: :yeahthat:

And what could be better than direct access to the author?!

Bob, I think i will get your books. Do you have a preferred way of purchasing them, or just off Amazon will do? Not that you care about one book sale, but I figured if one way is better then the other, why not ask. :)

Add Bob's "Say Again, Please..." for with comms

I like the online versions, you read learn and then test and then at the end you have an endorsement..

Bob, I think i will get your books. Do you have a preferred way of purchasing them, or just off Amazon will do? Not that you care about one book sale, but I figured if one way is better then the other, why not ask. :)

Makes no difference as far as I am concerned....I get paid when the book leaves the warehouse. Thanks for your interest.

Bob

Last edited:
Back