Best airport near Space Center Houston?

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
I'm looking to fly into Houston in a couple of weeks or so and was wondering about the GA friendly airports in the area. I guess something on the East side would be preferable, since I'm coming from Louisiana. It's just a quick overnight trip to hang out with some friends and maybe check out Space Center Houston while I'm there.

KEFD, Ellington. Very convenient, great field, and you might occasionally encounter an astronaut.

concur on EFD. Helpful folks there. Fuel is expensive but what else is new.

Saw a NASA 747 there last trip. They didn't have the bit that goes on top the 747 though...(guess they never will again either).

While at EFD, check if the Texas Flying Legends Museum folks are around. They head north for the summer, but maybe they've got something around temporarily. They've got an amazing hangar.

We're staying here, for a cheap overnight, am I risking being stabbed by doing so? http://www.super8.com/hotels/texas/houston/super-8-houston-nasa-webster-area/hotel-overview

Also, is the Kemah boardwalk worth doing while I'm there, or should I just spend my time at the Space Center? Anything else?

No worries about the motel neighborhood. Your hotel won't be the Ritz, but you don't have to worry about getting a shiv in the parking lot, either.

The Kemah boardwalk is a popular tourist destination. Decent (if overpriced) seafood, and games and rides for the kids. There's also a rollercoaster that packs a pretty good ride into a very small footprint. Worth a ride if you like coasters.

Not a lot else in the immediate Clear Lake area that's a tourist destination. About 30 min away is the San Jacinto Monument and Battleship Texas.

Galveston is a 45 min drive in the other direction, or ~15 min flight. Several fun things within easy walking distance from the airport if you choose to fly (or the FBO will give you a ride in the golf cart). Lone Star Flight Museum has a very nice collection of planes, many of which are kept in flyable condition (though they did lose a few exhibits in hurricane Ike that haven't been replaced). Moody Gardens has several attractions...check their website to see if there's anything you'd be interested in. There's also a sizeable water park: Schlitterbahn Galveston.

If you drive to Galveston instead of fly, the beach and the Strand area (two different locations) are the biggest draws.

Last edited:
We're staying here, for a cheap overnight, am I risking being stabbed by doing so? http://www.super8.com/hotels/texas/houston/super-8-houston-nasa-webster-area/hotel-overview

Also, is the Kemah boardwalk worth doing while I'm there, or should I just spend my time at the Space Center? Anything else?

Kemah is fun, in a plastic sort of way, but if you're only in Houston overnight the space center will take all of that day, and then some.

I will third the vote for EFD. Ellington is a nice field, just a mile or two from the space center.

The FBO folks at EFD got me an amazingly cheap yet nice room at one of those all-suites places - It was like $55/night for a suite with kitchen. Probably both better and cheaper than the Super 8...

Back