Best aircraft cleaner?

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
Hello all, I recently purchased a Cessna 172, and am curious what the best airplane cleaner out there is.

Also, waterless isnt a factor, I know some people prefer it.

Hey guys, please welcome David to the board... he's a friend, and serious about keeping his new ride nice.

IMG_2100.JPG

Ryan

Welcome David! Nice ride, similar to mine. 172-G?

I generally use water, mild cleaner (dish soap or car wash/wax all in one), and occasionally a pressure washer (gets it done quick, but harder on paint).

If you are running autogas, expect some belly soot (not a big deal,barely visible)

Welcome David! Nice ride, similar to mine. 172-G?

I generally use water, mild cleaner (dish soap or car wash/wax all in one), and occasionally a pressure washer (gets it done quick, but harder on paint).

If you are running autogas, expect some belly soot (not a big deal,barely visible)

Yes sir, its a 172G.

How often do you wash it?

It's working out to twice a year (i'm flying 100hrs/yr), with occasional "touchups", wiping off leading edges and the occasional drip of oil. Of course im probably not as anal about my airplane as some are. At my field i see airplanes being cleaned monthly that arent being actively flown.

It's a great plane, one of the best years for 172s better useful load and a little better speed than the earliest ones. Not to mention they are good bargains these days, since everyone wants the lycoming engine.

Its got the Lycoming 0360 in it, its a nice plane. Its got a great low-speed handling because of the STOL kit, but it is a bit lacking in the top-end cruise.

0-360 conversion is awesome. STOL gives nice slow flight, but its probably costing a few knots. Very nice airplane!

Thank you sir! I only get about 105 in cruise, but I fly for fun not to get anywhere in a hurry.

I just recently asked this question as well, you can find the thread here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41195

I ended up buying the Wash-Wax-All products and have been pretty happy with the results so far. While it doesn't take bugs off as well as I had hoped, it does seem to make it a little easier to get them off on the next go round. It also works well on engine belly grime, so I was quite happy with that application of it.

That's a great looking G by the way; a 180hp version was the model that I learned to fly in.

Last edited:
Goop is the best I've found for belly grease, and recommended by Cessna Pilots Association, which is worth your time to join and which has an entire paper on the subject of aircraft cleaners.

Back when airplane washing was 90% of my job description we used Zep. Worked great on almost everything. (Took the bugs off the wings and grease of the belly with almost no effort). My current company uses Simple Green for most jobs. I havn't tried it yet, but they swear it works well.

...My current company uses Simple Green for most jobs...
I'm betting THIS goes 3 pages, at least!

We use 10% Simple Green solution for cleaning a number of areas, applied sparingly and rinsed/wiped adequately.

B My current company uses Simple Green for most jobs. I havn't tried it yet, but they swear it works well.

Simple Green or Extreme Simple Green. Two very different formulations. ESG is formulated to not be corrosive to aluminum.

Rinse very well for either.

I'm betting THIS goes 3 pages, at least!

We use 10% Simple Green solution for cleaning a number of areas, applied sparingly and rinsed/wiped adequately.

Simple Green or Extreme Simple Green. Two very different formulations. ESG is formulated to not be corrosive to aluminum.

Rinse very well for either.

I think it's this one (not my picture):

BIKE%20WASH%20009.jpg

Like I said, I havn't used it yet, but they claim it works. The reason they chose that is Hartzell said we have to clean the props once a day (to remove the exhaust residue). Their service manual recommended either solvent or Jet A be used as a cleaner. There's no way we're going to carry solvent around every day or sump our tanks to clean our props, so the company got approval to use Simple Green. They said it can be used under the nacelles, too, for oil/grease/exhaust residue, but they did say to wipe it away thoroughly if you do that.

My vote always goes to Zep, though, that stuff was great.

I think it's this one (not my picture):

BIKE%20WASH%20009.jpg

Like I said, I havn't used it yet, but they claim it works. The reason they chose that is Hartzell said we have to clean the props once a day (to remove the exhaust residue). Their service manual recommended either solvent or Jet A be used as a cleaner. There's no way we're going to carry solvent around every day or sump our tanks to clean our props, so the company got approval to use Simple Green. They said it can be used under the nacelles, too, for oil/grease/exhaust residue, but they did say to wipe it away thoroughly if you do that.

My vote always goes to Zep, though, that stuff was great.

That's the original version of SG. The aluminum-approved version is labeled "Extreme Simple Green". And has been blessed by the USAF and Boeing.

Props, on the other hand, are not the same as the sheet Al used in the body of aircraft. If Hartzell says OK, then it's OK. But don't just wipe it off, rinse it off really well, just in case.

Wiping down leading edges and cowling with Lemon Pledge after each flight is easy and quick. Windshield and leather seats too.

I use Wash Wax waterless. Spray and wipe off bugs and gunk.

Best would be a professionally applies ceramic coating. I have a quote for this. Not cheap, but seems to be the answer. Then stuff just doesn't stick to it.

Don't know about the best, but I use Aero Cosmetics products and they work quite well. Plexus for windows/windshield.

I have never used a water hose on my plane, but if really dusty: Buddha Belly Cleaner diluted with water in a pump sprayer. Wipe with micro fiber rags. Same sprayer for the oily belly. Creeper and safety glasses are your friend.

Monthly wipe down with Plane Perfect or Wash Wax All.

Windshield with a non-ammonia cleaner like Spray Away. Clean rags only, up and down motion not swirling. Swirl scratches will reflect sunlight more than vertical. Don’t rub hard or with dirty rag.

Dirty micro fiber towels go in an old oil box, then when full I take them home. Soak in utility sink with hot water and 10 Mule Team Borax. Wring and rinse, then into the wife's laundry machine. I air dry them on a parachord clothes line.

Small shop vac stays in hangar to vac the mohair upholstery and carpet. Armorall on the glare shield and blue vinyl.

Sometimes this gets done in chapters. Underside of wing is more of a 3-6 month thing.

Pup gets a pass, but pax better have clean shoes!

C64650EE-A983-4620-922D-E9D032126210.jpeg 9562A0C1-2F9F-4EB4-9883-3132EDE24E75.jpeg EE262611-1510-4748-9A9E-565B676C763F.jpeg 28F37C52-6B9B-48C5-A1D9-AD8D75BA7751.jpeg

I have never used a water hose on my plane, but if really dusty: Buddha Belly Cleaner diluted with water in a pump sprayer. Wipe with micro fiber rags. Same sprayer for the oily belly. Creeper and safety glasses are your friend.

Monthly wipe down with Plane Perfect or Wash Wax All.

Windshield with a non-ammonia cleaner like Spray Away. Clean rags only, up and down motion not swirling. Swirl scratches will reflect sunlight more than vertical. Don’t rub hard or with dirty rag.

Dirty micro fiber towels go in an old oil box, then when full I take them home. Soak in utility sink with hot water and 10 Mule Team Borax. Wring and rinse, then into the wife's laundry machine. I air dry them on a parachord clothes line.

Small shop vac stays in hangar to vac the mohair upholstery and carpet. Armorall on the glare shield and blue vinyl.

Sometimes this gets done in chapters. Underside of wing is more of a 3-6 month thing.

Pup gets a pass, but pax better have clean shoes!

View attachment 115763 View attachment 115764 View attachment 115765 View attachment 115766
I bet it’s your washing machine when its broken

Hello all, I recently purchased a Cessna 172, and am curious what the best airplane cleaner out there is.

Also, waterless isnt a factor, I know some people prefer it.

It's pretty cool that young David is now a grizzled veteran of the Alaska bush, complete with the surly attitude and suspicion of strangers.

:D :D

J/K

So.... learning something new every day.

An airplane lives on an outside ramp tie down, rain or shine. Why is it then a bad idea to wash the plane with soap and water with a sponge? Maybe Simply Green to get the oil and insect residue. Rinse off with a garden hose. Not a pressure washer, just a garden hose sprayer.

Inquiring minds want to know....... :)

My current company uses Simple Green for most jobs. I havn't tried it yet, but they swear it works well.

Yeah, it works great. It's also very alkaline, which isn't good for aluminum. There is an aviation formula that solves that problem.

They are the first sponsor for my channel, starting in a few weeks. :)

Many of you know that I was the co-founder, but haven't been involved with it for a few years now. Still the stuff I use every day.

An airplane lives on an outside ramp tie down, rain or shine. Why is it then a bad idea to wash the plane with soap and water with a sponge? Maybe Simply Green to get the oil and insect residue. Rinse off with a garden hose.

That will get your plane clean, for sure. Simple Green, as mentioned above, is not recommended because it's highly alkaline. But the basic plan is fine *if* you just want to get the bugs off. For those looking to be shiny and beautiful, spray detailers, acrylic cleaners, waxes, ceramic coatings and such are well worth the extra money. Buddha Belly, in particular, is Plane Perfect's best selling product (or maybe #2 after Eyes Outside? I dunno anymore, my information is way out of date.) because it cleans as effectively as Simple Green, but with a neutral PH.

Got it - so soap and water won't kill your plane! And sounds like cleaning, clay bars, polishing compounds, ceramic waxes, etc. - the things you would use and do to your car - also apply to your plane. Just keep in mind your plane is aluminum.

Back