Best $100 hamburger around Chicago???

iflyforfun

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iflyforfun
Since dumb@$$ Daley close Miegs, I'll have the plane in Gary during a big upcoming trade show at McCormick. I have a guest at the show who is a big aviation fan and I'd like to fly him to dinner one night. I was thinking Lake Geneva / Grand Resort so I could take him along the lake shore. Anyone have other suggestions. I'd like to keep the flight around 40 minutes or less so that we have time to depart McCormick around 4:30, dinner at 7:00 and back to the hotel before it gets too late. Also, I'll be at MGW and would like at least 3,800 ft of runway, so those really cool 2,500-3,000 ft island runways are out. All suggestions welcomed.
Jeff

There's this great restaurant downtown a short cab ride from Meigs... oh, wait. Nevermind.

A very nice restaurant in Muncie, IN, but not sure that's within the range. Lake Geneva resort is very nice, so if you can fly in there (I've only driven), that would be sweet.

Not too far from 3CK in the town of Cary (you'll need the crew car) is a restaurant/bar called The Tracks. It is right at the train station and has one of the best burgers in the Chicago area. The other burger that is better is in Bristol, IL and is not near any airport.

But if you are looking to do the fly in eat thing there are two good choices. First is 06C (Schaumburg) for Pilot Pete's. You could do the Gary along the lake shore and then the Eisenhower transition to 06C. The restaurant is a good one and right at the airport.

Another choice is a bit of a longer flight and that is to go to KSBM (Sheyboygan) which is north of Milwaukee. You could do the lake shore for the entire route. Park at Burrows, which is at the approach end of runway 03. GREAT FOOD!

Lake Geneva may not even be a choice. The last two times I flew over it there were yellow X's on the runway. Lake Lawn, near Lake Geneva may still be an option.

Grand Geneva is IMHO the best choice. The resort is a 2 minute trolley ride from the airport (call upon landing), or a ~10 minute walk on a road that separates the golf course/driving range area. (I always enjoy the walk). Grand Geneva has a cafe and 2 fairly high-end restaurants.

The runway is in ok shape. I think it is listed as 'poor' in the AFD, but I do not think it is that bad. If it is a really hot day, and you are at MGW, be careful about clearing the trees on departure. They aren't super close, nor tall, but it is worth a few seconds of study to note their locations before takeoff.

Last, as ScottM pointed out, they do occasionally close the runway during the year (and permanently during the winter). I think C02 is open for night ops, but again, worth double-checking NOTAMs.

And, during your trip up the lake shore, give approach a call for flight-following, they are generally very accommodating, and it is helpful as there is a fair amount of traffic. I am not sure what the freq is in the Gary area, but as you get further North (by the old Meigs field/Navy Pier) it is 120.55.

Since dumb@$$ Daley close Miegs, I'll have the plane in Gary during a big upcoming trade show at McCormick. I have a guest at the show who is a big aviation fan and I'd like to fly him to dinner one night. I was thinking Lake Geneva / Grand Resort so I could take him along the lake shore. Anyone have other suggestions. I'd like to keep the flight around 40 minutes or less so that we have time to depart McCormick around 4:30, dinner at 7:00 and back to the hotel before it gets too late. Also, I'll be at MGW and would like at least 3,800 ft of runway, so those really cool 2,500-3,000 ft island runways are out. All suggestions welcomed.
Jeff

Scott pretty much nailed it. There used to be a few other nice options, but they've really dried up. There are a few other restaurants on fields in the area (Charlies at 1C5 comes to mind), but they aren't open for dinner.

And if you try flight following, let us know how it goes. I've had mixed results, but they seem to have been better about it of late.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for Pilot Pete's. I've met the Chicago POA'ers there many times. I've never been disappointed. Make sure you order the Irish Nachos - they're off-menu.

Back