Bendix Mag question

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Got this from a member of our club:
----------------------------------------------------------------
I have learned that Bendix "pulled the plug" on their Series 3000 magneto line (aka the dual mag, or siamese mag). No new ones. No new parts.

There are lots of Lycoming Engines in the field that use this system. We own two of them. There is no known STC for changing to a double mag installation.

Definitely not good news.

Right now, no one has any answers to the obvious questions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

It will be interesting to see what the FAA will consider as plan B to that one. :eek:

Many of the older airplanes have STC holders far removed from the original manufacturer...

Perhaps your Owners Group could pay for an STC..?

Thanks, Dave. I renewed my membership, but haven't ventured over to the Red Board in a while now...

I'm wondering if the internal parts are interchangable with the single mags made by TCM

OBTW... TCM owns the bendix mag production certificate

Got this from a member of our club:
----------------------------------------------------------------
I have learned that Bendix "pulled the plug" on their Series 3000 magneto line (aka the dual mag, or siamese mag). No new ones. No new parts.

There are lots of Lycoming Engines in the field that use this system. We own two of them. There is no known STC for changing to a double mag installation.
Is there a link to anything announcing this discontinuation of the D3000?

I'm wondering if the design has been sold to someone else, like maybe Champion, who recently bought Slick/Unison. If the mag is going to disappear, along with the spares, there will be some unhappy people (who own engines that use them) and some happy mechanics (who hate working on them). There must be enough of them out there that someone will clone it, I hope.

Dan

Back