Bendix King KY97A To Garmin SL40

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
I'm strongly considering swapping out my Bendix King VHF Com KY97A for a Garmin SL40 and tray that I already have.
I'd rather just build a transition cable to go between the existing flat connector on the KY97A tray to the 15 pin D-sub on the Garmin.
The KY97A radio a circuit board type connector that slides into the connector on the tray. To make a transition cable, I'd need to get something that would emulate the circuit board tabs. I looked on Digi-Key and Mouser without luck, but since I'm not sure what to call what I'm looking for I could have missed it.
There is a reason why I'd prefer to keep the KY97A connector but that is not important to this question.

You want to look for a card edge connector.

Cards fingers of that vintage were probably 0.100" center-to-center spacing, but some were 0.156" IIRC. See if you can measure it or maybe there are some KY97A specs floating around.

On second re-read, maybe it is the fingers you are looking for. Usually those were designed right onto the PCB. Found some hits for some plugboards meant for prototyping that have the fingers. Still need to check connector spacing and board thickness for compatibility.

http://www.newark.com/vector-electronics/3662/pcb-plugboard-22-44-0-156-card/dp/38F1366

Last edited:
Your second read was correct. I had looked at card connectors and they didn't do the job. I finally decided I'd have to pull the KY97A connector and wire in a 15 pin D-sub. Darn.

Back