Ben and Dr. Bruce (or anyone who took a SODA ride)

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I specifically remember the flight surgeon telling me I had to get the SODA done before the solo.

I'm wondering now if she misspoke and meant to say checkride since I've heard from a few people, Ben included, who didn't have to take it before solo. The letter I have doesn't explicitly say "take it before solo" it just says this letter clears me to take the medical flight test. I've been following her word to the letter, though, since I didn't want to run afoul of the FAA. If they can bust you for a broken radio this could be a lot worse!

I'm still waiting for a callback from the FAA guy.. I'm going to ask him what he thinks BUT even if he says verbally "just do it before the checkride" I still am paranoid I'm going to go against the flight surgeon's request - and she's the one who will ultimately review the whole thing.

thoughts??

Do you have a Third Class or higher Medical Certificate in your personal possession? If not, end of story -- no solo until you do. If you do, what does it say in the "Restrictions" block? I suspect that your situation is that you are permitted to fly with the inspector for a medical flight test, but other than that, only with your instructor.

Ron Levy said:
Do you have a Third Class or higher Medical Certificate in your personal possession? If not, end of story -- no solo until you do. If you do, what does it say in the "Restrictions" block? I suspect that your situation is that you are permitted to fly with the inspector for a medical flight test, but other than that, only with your instructor.

hang on, I do, reading it...

well, first of all, my weight is WAY off. I should have complained when I got it. hmph.

anyway... under Limitations...

Must wear corrective lenses. valid for student pilot purposes only.

nothing else typed in...

woodstock said:
well, first of all, my weight is WAY off. I should have complained when I got it. hmph.

anyway... under Limitations...

nothing else typed in...

Dear, as soon as the instructor signs it, you are good to solo.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the rule, the "valid for SP only" line does not restrict you from solo as a SP unless there's something in the letter from the FAS that does. Of course, it does mean you need the SODA before the PP practical test, although I see no reason not to do the medical flight test now rather than later unless you have concerns over passing it now and want more practice. But absent a no-solo restriction in that letter, I don't see anything in the restriction as quoted that would stop me from signing you off for solo and launching you.

ok, but, I know the flight surgeon told me I had to do the SODA first. she pushed the medical through, but said I had to SODA then solo. this is my quandary.

however I like your reasoning better. I could solo this weekend then!

But if she has received a letter, post medical exam, from the Feds requesting a SODA, it probably also stated that the medical was not valid until the SODA was completed, thats what mine said.

woodstock said:
ok, but, I know the flight surgeon told me I had to do the SODA first. she pushed the medical through, but said I had to SODA then solo. this is my quandary.

I don't think she understands the rules. Not uncommon considering how many of them there are and this probably being one of the more obscure ones to her. If there was a "No Solo Before SODA" clause, OKC would have typed it in the letter and the medical in big black letters so you and your instructor couldn't miss it.

When you say "flight surgeon," Elizabeth, do you mean your AME or the FAA Flight Surgeon (Federal Air Surgeon or Regional Flight Surgeon)? And if it's not an intrusion, can you scan and post a copy of the letter you received from the FAA medical folks (or if you want to keep it less public, email a copy to me)? That might help. But unless your "SP only" medical was revoked in that letter, or an additional restriction stated, I don't see any medical certification reason you can't solo right now (pilot skill notwithstanding;) ).

Ron Levy said:
When you say "flight surgeon," Elizabeth, do you mean your AME or the FAA Flight Surgeon (Federal Air Surgeon or Regional Flight Surgeon)? And if it's not an intrusion, can you scan and post a copy of the letter you received from the FAA medical folks (or if you want to keep it less public, email a copy to me)? That might help. But unless your "SP only" medical was revoked in that letter, or an additional restriction stated, I don't see any medical certification reason you can't solo right now (pilot skill notwithstanding;) ).

I'll send it over later today, thanks.

It was the Regional Flight Surgeon - Dr. Bruce helped me contact her directly. I don't remember her name now. I believe she was in NJ... maybe NY?

Ron Levy said:
Unless I'm misunderstanding the rule, the "valid for SP only" line does not restrict you from solo as a SP unless there's something in the letter from the FAS that does. Of course, it does mean you need the SODA before the PP practical test, although I see no reason not to do the medical flight test now rather than later unless you have concerns over passing it now and want more practice. But absent a no-solo restriction in that letter, I don't see anything in the restriction as quoted that would stop me from signing you off for solo and launching you.
Ron, this is what mine was like. I called my AME, Oklahoma, and even my inspector. All three told me that I could do everything right up to just before the PP exam. So, this is what I did. I had received a medical from my AME with the restrictions I listed in the other thread, and Oklahoma gave me another, identical one with the "permission to take SODA" letter. Oh, gee! Thank you so much! I am allowed to take an extra exam. Haha.

Last edited:
woodstock said:

It was the Regional Flight Surgeon - Dr. Bruce helped me contact her directly. I don't remember her name now. I believe she was in NJ... maybe NY?

OK, I see. They should be much more knowledgable on these specific cases. Still, I would ask some hard questions of her.

Elizabeth, please don't use my name, though, in your conversations (even though I did everything by the book--I don't like bureaucracy).

spiderweb said:
OK, I see. They should be much more knowledgable on these specific cases. Still, I would ask some hard questions of her.

Elizabeth, please don't use my name, though, in your conversations (even though I did everything by the book--I don't like bureaucracy).

nope I won't, thanks. I'll go find the other thread.

sounds like your letter and my letter is the same? I might be soloing mighty quick then!

woodstock said:

The communication to you puzzles me. My original 3rd Class was accompanied by a letter which said(not exact words), "Because of your known vision deficiency you will be required to take a SODA flight before or coincident with your flight test for Private Pilot certification.

Note the before or coincident with wording. I had no problems, other than Wiscasset, Maine crosswinds, with any delay of first solo.

The SODA flight? Perfect preparation as to insight of what a check ride will be. Oh, I've done the SODA flight; no sweat.

HR

woodstock said:
under Limitations...

If that is what it says, you should be able to solo. Just no passengers, which means--no check ride till you get the SODA. You should have gotten a letter from the FAA regarding the restriction and that will spell out what is allowed and what is required of you. If you can't find the letter, your AME that did the medical usually gets a copy also, and I imagine OKC could get you a copy of it.

Barb(AME)

woodstock said:

That would be Dr. Lister at the NY Regional FS Office.

Having examined the letter Beth got from Dr. Lister and the restriction on her medical, I see nothing that says she can't solo now. However, the verbal statement from Dr. Lister concerns me, and I've suggested Beth that she call the EA RFS office and confirm what I think before soloing.

In addition, the list of items for her medical flight test includes some tasks on which her performance may improve with more training, including XC training, e.g., visually estimating distances to landmarks. I suggested that if the FAA wants the medical flight test before solo, she should put off solo and move on into her dual XC's, which will further exercise those skills. This is important, because the FAA isn't big on repeating medical flight tests that someone has failed, so I think she'd want to be as good as she can on those tasks when she takes the test. For that reason, I also suggested that she do a practice medical flight test with her instructor before going with the FAA, regardless of when she has to do it.

Beth,

You ought to be taking advantage of the really nice weather....

woodstock said:
on the wkds, I am... do you mean for a cross country ride?

cross country - or even just flying around the patch.

hey, I've done 43 landings in just two weekends! I've gotten a lot done.

thanks everyone for the good wishes - I'll keep ya'll posted.

woodstock said:
hey, I've done 43 landings in just two weekends! I've gotten a lot done.

thanks everyone for the good wishes - I'll keep ya'll posted.

Yes, you have. I just always hate to waste a really good weather day!! :yes:

bbchien said:
Beth, have you made contact with Dr. Lister? Do you need me to call?

Dr. Bruce, all I really need to know is the order - SODA first or solo. I'm afraid of making this a federal case lest she come up with some other reason to ground me. that said, I did try to call her this morning but left no message.

My CFI sent me an email this morning shortly after that and said he had talked to a FSDO guy here at Dulles they've dealt with in the past, nice guy, he wanted to see my medical and letter and he'll get back to me on the order required. No other details were given to him (by me, anyway).

I am going to presume if the FAA tells me, through this guy, that I can solo then SODA then that's the end of the deal.

What's on your medical certificate is clear -- medically, you're legal to solo under your Student Pilot certificate privileges. There's nothing in the letter from Dr. Lister which changes that. Therefore, unless you know something we don't (and a vaguely remembered phone conversation from two years ago doesn't count as "know"), solo when you're ready, and take the medical flight test when you feel comfortable doing all the thing in the list MSmith posted.

woodstock said:
on the wkds, I am... do you mean for a cross country ride?

You Bet!!! There is nothing that says you have to solo before going x-c. To me, travelling is what flying is all about.

Henning said:
You Bet!!! There is nothing that says you have to solo before going x-c. To me, travelling is what flying is all about.

I know! we've already done some. I've actually got a fair amount of post solo stuff done. we purposely did it that way so when I finally did the SODA I'd be farther along than a mere solo.

I think at this point what the solo will do is give me an enormous boost of confidence. hell just knowing I'm ready to solo makes all this that much sweeter and makes me believe I really am going to finish this all.

funny thing is, if things go as quickly as I think after, my checkride may not come in an embarrassing amount of hours - it may be on track with what's average anyway (not superman average, I know there are a lot of folks with 40 hour checkrides...)

woodstock said:
funny thing is, if things go as quickly as I think after, my checkride may not come in an embarrassing amount of hours - it may be on track with what's average anyway (not superman average, I know there are a lot of folks with 40 hour checkrides...)

Whether you do it near 40hrs or not is totally irrellevant. There is no embarrasment involved, especially in the case of an SI/SODA medical.

The percentage of folks doing it in 40 hours is very, very small. The national average is well over 60. In any event, the only embarrassment is poor performance. FWIW, I had 60.3 when I took my PPL ride (just looked it up), and the average was below 50 back then. Didn't hurt me none.

Ron Levy said:
The percentage of folks doing it in 40 hours is very, very small. The national average is well over 60. In any event, the only embarrassment is poor performance. FWIW, I had 60.3 when I took my PPL ride (just looked it up), and the average was below 50 back then. Didn't hurt me none.

Took me 80 - mainly due to my failure to dump my first instructor soon enough.

Don't worry about how long it takes - just that you can do what you have to.

Back