Belly flop gone bad

Ok, I'll be the one........

That'll buff right out.

nothing straight to base off of. might be easier just to start from scratch

I like how he says, "Aircraft sustained damage when pilot said engine lost power" -underline mine.
Am I reading too much into that?

Probably has nothing to do with the condition of this project, but the local FBO owner and his lead mechanic burned up in an 801 after the engine quit (a Franklin). Caught the last tree before the clearing.

I think you got it.

Is it me or am I wrong to assume a Zenair STOL can't land in a short distance???

That wasn't the issue that I see anyway. The plane didn't hit forward, the plane hit down. Looks like he landed the plane about 10' off the runway to do that.

I agree with Tony, the plane is worth salvage/scrap, nothing I could see was left unbent. Are all the rivets uncored?

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, one of the issues with the Zenair STOL series of aircraft is that if you cut power during a landing it drops like a brick. Most folks have recomended that one always carry a little power into the landing to prevent a hard drop.

From what I understand on the Zenith STOL mailing list, such hard landings (and resulting damage) are common to folks who have not learned the proper technique for landing the aircraft.

Here is a video example of such a landing. Fortunately, there was no damage to the aircraft (that I know of).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4KKH_AIXaw

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, one of the issues with the Zenair STOL series of aircraft is that if you cut power during a landing it drops like a brick. Most folks have recomended that one always carry a little power into the landing to prevent a hard drop. Apparently, most folks flare to high, resulting in the drop.

From what I understand on the Zenith STOL mailing list, such hard landings (and resulting damage) are common to folks who have not learned the proper technique for landing the aircraft.
I've been running some in-depth analyses on accidents in specific homebuilt types. One thing that caught my attention is the median hours-in-type at the time of accident. The median for all homebuilts is 59 hours; the median for all RVs is 86 hours; the median for all Lancairs is 99.

The median for CH-701 accidents is 11 hours....

Ron Wanttaja

I've been running some in-depth analyses on accidents in specific homebuilt types. One thing that caught my attention is the median hours-in-type at the time of accident. The median for all homebuilts is 59 hours; the median for all RVs is 86 hours; the median for all Lancairs is 99.

The median for CH-701 accidents is 11 hours....

Ron Wanttaja

Holy....

Eleven hours???

[CH-701 median pilot hours in type at time of accident]
Holy....

Eleven hours???
That's out of 20 accidents in the 1998-2007 timeframe, a middlin' low sample size. However, it's interesting to contrast with the median pilot hours for trigear Kitfoxes in the same period... only 14 accidents, but the median is 71 hours in type. Or the RANS S-12; 28 accidents, median 72 hours in type.

Ron Wanttaja

[CH-701 median pilot hours in type at time of accident]

That's out of 20 accidents in the 1998-2007 timeframe, a middlin' low sample size. However, it's interesting to contrast with the median pilot hours for trigear Kitfoxes in the same period... only 14 accidents, but the median is 71 hours in type. Or the RANS S-12; 28 accidents, median 72 hours in type.

Ron Wanttaja

Interesting. I assume a contributing factor is starry-eyed expectation of the same performance demonstrated on various marketing videos...

I have to agree with the rest - I don't see anything on that plane that I would trust, after a landing hard enough to do what it did to that airplane. It's worth what the guy at the drink can recycler will give you for it. :(

Why would anyone WANT to rebuild some other builders wreck ?

It is a very tempting scheme. I confess to falling victim to it.
It was about 1992 and I wanted to fly pretty bad. There was a C140 that had been groundlooped and 'needed a little tlc' at bargain basement prices. I was really lucky, could have lost my shirt on such a deal. Thankfully I was able to use it to help get my A&P, did all the work on it. It ended up, like many of these do, to be a complete rebuild. I mean every removable fastener came off. Full interior, fabric, repaint, STCd larger engine. It was a wonderful 7-year project and sweet when I was done, I broke even on materials, but you have to be careful about 'projects'. They are not a simple or cheap way into the sky.

If I understand correctly, one of the issues with the Zenair STOL series of aircraft is that if you cut power during a landing it drops like a brick. Most folks have recomended that one always carry a little power into the landing to prevent a hard drop.

Here is a video example of such a landing. Fortunately, there was no damage to the aircraft (that I know of).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4KKH_AIXaw

Yeah... The 701/801 series of Zenith aircraft are pretty durable. That was for sure a very hard landing.. And this in coming from a idiot who has 300+ hours on my Zenith 801. With no radios and no engine I can't imagine anyone bidding even 1,500 bucks for it. That thing is JUNK !!! :no::no:

Back