Believe it or not...

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
I actually need Ron to weigh in on this.

When does Factory recommended TBO become mandatory?
I can't find it in the FARs.

You won't find it in the FARs because factory specified TBO is not mandatory for Part 91 for the most part. As long as an engine meets operating specifications, you can run it forever regardless what the factory recommends. Now if the factory were to require an overhaul in FAA approved Instructions for Continued Airworthiness, it would be mandatory but Lycoming and Continental don't typically have their engines overhaul recommendations in FAA approved ICAs.

I know when you put a plane on 135 operation (operations which hire out to carry people) you setup a formal plan (like a contract) with the FAA for how you are going to maintain the maintenance of the plane. This is heavy with procedures and policies. This usually includes replacement schedule based tightly on TBO's of engines and other parts. With that said it is possible to come up with a plane to go past TBO if you can convince FAA you are doing higher monitoring and do a condition based maintenance program. Realize FAA doesn't not like to put its butt on the line so your plan will have to really convince them it can be safer than a TBO based plan for them to sign off on it. Theoretically you can do it though.

I do not know this for sure but 121 operations are generally more based on condition based maintenance apposed to time based overhauls as that it where the method was developed in the 60's by UA or was it AA?

135 and IIRC 141 operations.

Not for 141

135 requires it because it requires following Service bulletins, and that is how overhaul time limits are published.

Coast Guard Auxiliary requires it as well unless your plane is on progressive inspections.

Ok, now, where is the foggy line between parts 91 135 121 and 141 drawn.

example. Guy owns a airplane, and wants to rent it to certified pilots, for their use and pleasure. (to help with some of the expenses) Not part of a business, or to be used for primary training. Mabe the odd BFR from time to time (renter will have to provide his own CFI).
Engine has over 12 years, and 1100 hours SMOH. LYC. reccomended OH is 2000 hours or 12 years. Runs strong, good compressions, no metal, uses mabe a quart every 12-15 hours.

example. Guy owns a airplane, and wants to rent it to certified pilots, for their use and pleasure. (to help with some of the expenses) Not part of a business, or to be used for primary training. Mabe the odd BFR from time to time (renter will have to provide his own CFI).
Engine has over 12 years, and 1100 hours SMOH. LYC. reccomended OH is 2000 hours or 12 years. Runs strong, good compressions, no metal, uses mabe a quart every 12-15 hours.

No worries in your example, I've flown flight school 172s with 4000 hrs on the engine. There is no "foggy line" between those parts, you either have a 121/135/141 certificate issued to you or you don't.

Not even a 100hour required (though I recommend it if it flies more than 100hrs a year as it can lower overall costs)

not even a worry Shorty, you only need worry how to get paid and what to do if he dings your plane.

Good deal. :D

I sure hope this works out. The local mechanic was just telling this poor owner that he will have to overhaul his perfectly good engine to be legal.

Deb

Back