Belated 3rd instrument lesson

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
This lesson was on 6/5, but due to travel and other stuff, I'm a little late posting.

Again, Ray discussed what we would do, then we departed. Again, the imaginary ceiling was 400agl, and I went under the foggles shortly after departure. As Ed said, the disorientation was not as pronounced. Instead of flying in a drunkenly fashion for 15 seconds, I only flew drunkenly for 2 seconds or so before settling down.

We followed the ATC assigned heading towards the practice area (100), and I was to then intercept and track the 060 radial off GQO. During the climb he started me at a constant airspeed climb, then switched me up to a constant rate climb later.

At his call, I changed heading to 170, and followed until I intercepted the 090 radial of GQO. All during, I was changing speeds, power settings, climbs, decents at Ray's call.

After tracking and intercepting the 090, I was to follow to CRAND intersection, do one hold, and call dep and get clearance to fly the VOR33 approach. I flew that one to the MAP, went missed (per dep instruction, not the published miss), and then got vectored to the ILS20 approach.

Had an interesting time chasing the needles (first ILS under the hood), and got fairly close in, but was maybe two dots left. Ray called runway in sight, and I swooped back towards the runway, bot the power off, nose up, full flaps once into the white, and a half decent landing.

The most interesting part of this lesson was the workload. No matter what I was trying to do, Ray kept pestering me the whole way. Where are we? Tune this frequency on the ADF. Whats our bearing to station. Tune Hinch mountain VOR, what is our radial? Put blah frequency on the radio...etc.

He kept adding workload until I busted something. Went steeper than standard in a turn, busted my altitude, blew my climb/decent rate, whatever it was, he added stuff until I busted something.

He also said that it is time for me to partner up with a safety pilot, as I only have 7.2 hood so far (over 40 PIC XC, so that won't be a problem). He has another instrument student he's now teaching, and we're going to hook up to share safety pilot duties and build hours.

Next lesson Thursday night.

Bill Jennings said:
He kept adding workload until I busted something. Went steeper than standard in a turn, busted my altitude, blew my climb/decent rate, whatever it was, he added stuff until I busted something.
Workload is the whole point. You have to be able to juggle any six bowling pins and not get bonked on the head. Read the Aztec driver's tale. That'll get you going. Once you can juggle them all, you can really put the stuff together. Scan, scan, scan, basics, basics, then Scan/basics with only partial attention- which is the partition in which all the intelligent decisionmaking is had.

When I did CFI my instructor kept a keen watch on my comfort level. "No straight and level for you!".

Go get 'em!

Back