being pressed to fly in unsafe weather

Had a good example of other pilots attempting to pressure me into flying today beyond my personal limits. Had a fly in today at our local airport and various different pilots were giving first time rides to folks. We had a lot of folks lined up wanting plane rides.

There was about 6 pilots giving rides and my original intent was to fly also, but the sfc winds were gusting to 20 down the runway all day long which is beyond my limits, but the local pilots and including the airport manager tried their best to get me to go but I still refused. Maybe I could have gone, but anytime I have to question the safety of a particular flight I dont go.

In the end there were some unhappy folks that didnt get a plane ride.
Wind is the greatest weather-related factor in aviation accidents and aviation fatalities.

Good job.

Wind is the greatest weather-related factor in aviation accidents and aviation fatalities.

It is? I don't have the stats handy, but I would think VFR into IMC has a higher accident rate than "wind". I don't think that is true at all.

Bottom line for me, what the OP described was not "unsafe weather" as stated in the title of the thread. In fact it was normal weather, but may have been unsafe for the pilot due to lack of skills, confidence or both.

Last edited:
Had a good example of other pilots attempting to pressure me into flying today beyond my personal limits. Had a fly in today at our local airport and various different pilots were giving first time rides to folks. We had a lot of folks lined up wanting plane rides.

There was about 6 pilots giving rides and my original intent was to fly also, but the sfc winds were gusting to 20 down the runway all day long which is beyond my limits, but the local pilots and including the airport manager tried their best to get me to go but I still refused. Maybe I could have gone, but anytime I have to question the safety of a particular flight I dont go.

In the end there were some unhappy folks that didnt get a plane ride.

I'll pile on too.

First good job for standing your ground and not exceeding your personal limits. Can be hard!

Now a thing you might really want to consider is learning how to handle those winds. That other pilots were flying them is a good indicator that it is doable. So get a CFI and learn the techniques, get comfortable with them and go forth and fly more!

Good job.
Would not doubt that.

Flew home Wednesday after a long day. Was up at 4am to head to Kansas City for the day. Left there at 6pm, winds got me to my home airport at about 8:30pm. It is now dark here at that time and landing on runway 26 the winds were 190@20G30. The crab angle on downwind and final were eye opening, I was tired and knew this was going to be one of those work for the landings type of approaches. But I have done this before, I figured try it once and if it is way too squirrelly go to KDPA and land on the north/south runway there and get a ride home. But I get it down safely. Thanks to my CFI of many years ago who beat me into submission flying 90degree crosswind landings day after day.

Now that fall and cold fronts have begun, i'm realizing it has been awhile since I've flown in any strong wind.

I enjoy it when there is a steady, strong wind somewhat aligned with runway heading. Its fun flying downwind leg at warp speed, judging the base turn, and touching down at 15mph.

When I saw this headline I thought, "Hmmmmm this sounds familiar" I spent many years making a living flying in unsafe weather. IMHO the conditions described were not unsafe. That being said, the OP made the absolutely correct call.

I don't know what the OP's experience level is, but a 6kt crosswind component is well within the capabilities of any aircraft, and learning to handle gusty conditions is imperative if anyone wants to utilize and airplane for any meaningful transportation. Get some more experience, either solo or with an instructor, until you can handle your craft to a level where you feel safe in conditions as those described..

Is that a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever in your avatar?

About the winds - I don't think I've flown in the teens, let alone the 20's. In the 150 we would really feel it. I have canceled due to wind before, but it was gusting to 35 in all directions. A POA member came all the way from Florida (for other reasons) and drove all the way to my airport - I still didn't go. And I wasn't the only one. Nobody was flying that day. The one or two planes that did land? Well, a crowd gathered on the ground (including us) just to watch them try to touch down. They did but it looked well beyond my ability and I think one or more go arounds was performed.

You mean next to the dog?

Very funny.

No, I mean the dog. That color and the white markings seem to indicate it is one. "Tollers" are pretty rare and I was looking into getting one as my next dog (if that day ever comes). Then again, I should probably save a dog from the pound.

Mike,

I know I'm way late to this post.

(To others - Mike and I have flown together)

I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before. I (and you) fly for fun - if it's going to be 'work', I'll fly another day. However, if it's going to be 'challenging', then I'm all over it.

I don't want 'challenging' and 'first-time passengers' in the same mix. I've cancelled out on giving fun rides to friends and their kids under similar circumstances - you made the right call. No sense in taking someone along in a situation like that and adding to the pressure you are already feeling.

Once in a while, when I think I'm rusty, I'll get a CFI to go along and throw me through the wringer. I know your CFI availability is a bit awkward, but I bet there are still some at OJC that would go up with you if you met them there. Of course, if the conditions are such that you'd want to fly with a CFI and then had to fly to GET to the CFI...

Good job.
Could you provide some statistical evidence of this? I am not saying you are wrong, I just find it hard to believe and I am unable to find anything back up this claim. I will continue to look, but if you have it that would be great. Thanks

Back