Beginner Aerobatics

Air shows pay money, competition doesn't right?:rofl:

In competition, WE have to pay to have judges tell us how bad we fly. With airshows, you GET paid for everyone to tell you how great you are. :)

Nobody starts out in the airshow world and then moves to competition. It's always the other way around. Can't figure that out. ;)

Good stuff! I appreciate all the tips guys.

I've been watching my cockpit video and studying my noob mistakes, such as the slight stick movements during the rolls, rolling out too soon, etc. Having video is a great resource!

I can't wait to get back up again:goofy:

Don't sweat it, as you said, noob mistakes everyone makes, especially get stopped in just the right time/position. It takes some getting used to the inertial values and the leverage each plane has.

It was surprising to me when Diana took me for a ride in her Citabria last fall at Gaston's and said before we went that it was always better to have something (she handed me a little bag of Goldfish crackers) in your stomach than not. :yesnod:
I didn't want you to make a mess in my airplane. ;)

We had a lot of fun... I could really get hooked on it too! :D
It WAS a fun flight. :)

Anyone try this?

"The Reletex Anti-Nausea device is the new version of the discontinued ReliefBand and is still the best solution for your motion sickness. Perfectly suited for pilots and their passengers, the Reletex is a drug-free therapy for motion-induced nausea."

http://www.aeromedix.com/Reletex-Anti-Nausea-Device.html

If you believe it, it may work. I have watched a hell of a lot of people with those suckers hanging over the rail chumming up snapper though, great if you're out fishing.:lol:

If you believe it, it may work. I have watched a hell of a lot of people with those suckers hanging over the rail chumming up snapper though, great if you're out fishing.:lol:

Another stunning minds-eye visual I won't be forgetting soon...:yikes:

Eeeewwwww...

Chris

I didn't want you to make a mess in my airplane. ;)

It WAS a fun flight. :)

LOL... Hey! I thought I did pretty good in the non-mess department ! Never even close to that. :D I'm trying to teach myself aerobatics in my Archer off and on when I have the time... Loops and rolls just like you! It's not very easy though and I'm not very precise at it yet. I've also crashed more than once. LOL. Practice makes perfect though... I'll keep working at it, I can see why pilots get hooked on it!

If you're going to buy an aerobatic book, I would strongly recommend Alan Cassidy's "Better Aerobatics". IMO, it's by far the best book out there in or out of print (it's in print). Really an amazing effort and worth every penny.

Thanks for the recommendation. I bought the book and have to agree. My interest is only in recreational aerobatics and maybe primary if I ever get the time, but it is definitely worth the price.

Thanks all for the thread.

I just had my first aerobatic lesson. We did some rolls, a loop and my instructor demonstrated a 8 pt roll.

Our airtime was only 30 min, but I was beginning to feel the effects. I get sick on a tilt-a-whirl if I ride it twice. So I hope I can overcome the quest feeling.

Of course I didn't pick the most economical plane, it took 23 gal in the t6 for the flight but it was fun!

Next month I start formation training.

Gary

Thanks all for the thread.

I just had my first aerobatic lesson. We did some rolls, a loop and my instructor demonstrated a 8 pt roll.

Our airtime was only 30 min, but I was beginning to feel the effects. I get sick on a tilt-a-whirl if I ride it twice. So I hope I can overcome the quest feeling.

Of course I didn't pick the most economical plane, it took 23 gal in the t6 for the flight but it was fun!

Next month I start formation training.

Gary

Formation training is cool. I went on 3 flights with formation people. PM me for a link to the videos if you would like them. Super fun.

I can handle acrobatics and such but I went out deepsea fishing and was fine all the way out to the spot then we stopped put our lines out and I pulled in a few but man the rockin and the heat got to me and that was the first time ive ever been sea/motion sick I spent the rest of the day below deck. :sad:

This post reminds me of a first date diving off key west. I wasn't certified, so I was going t o snorkel. The sea was rough, I got really sick. Still, i had no problem if I just floated in the water with the buoyancy compensator on. Sitting in the boat was awful though. I never figured out how that worked.

To add to the general commentary...
I only have an hour of aerobatics, but I learned a lot, starting with the food thing. After the first 1/2 hour (which was a raffle prize), I told the CFI I wanted to pay for another 1/2 hour, but I wanted to take a break first. The positive gees were the only problem- at the bottom of every loop (pulling about three Gs) it felt like everything in my torso was going below my belt, and I got a little clammy and green-looking. didn't fell light-headed, but it was very unpleasant.

He asked what I'd had for breakfast, and I told him the truth: two cups of coffee, some toast, and about three cigarettes. :rolleyes: I had been worried about puking, so I'd intentionally showed up hungry.

This is bad for acclimation to g-loading, and for some people, bad for acclimating to inverted flight or any of the rest of it. He advised me to always eat "a big ol' greezy breakfast" (his exact words) before an aerobatic flight... not right before, obviously, but it's a good idea to get the body working nominally with plenty of fuel. Coffee or any stimulant/diuretic is a bad idea, as it will dry you out and boost your heart rate to begin with, and of course smoking, with its effect on blood oxygenation and adrenaline production, is a no-no, even though smokers feel "soothed" by cigarettes.

I'm sure some aerobatic pilots who do it often can get away with abusing their bodies or flying on an empty stomach, but for any beginner it's a really bad idea. And when you look at real champion aerobatic performers, you see athletes, with athletes' health habits (for the most part).

Anyway, I had some cookies or something and some juice and water while we briefed for the second half, and felt much better on the next flight. FWIW, in the Zlin 242 with its bubble canopy, he taught me to look first at a wingtip during the loop entry, then overhead coming over the top to keep it straight. We did all of the loops over a long straight stretch of railroad tracks.

To add to the general commentary...
I only have an hour of aerobatics, but I learned a lot, starting with the food thing. After the first 1/2 hour (which was a raffle prize), I told the CFI I wanted to pay for another 1/2 hour, but I wanted to take a break first. The positive gees were the only problem- at the bottom of every loop (pulling about three Gs) it felt like everything in my torso was going below my belt, and I got a little clammy and green-looking. didn't fell light-headed, but it was very unpleasant.

He asked what I'd had for breakfast, and I told him the truth: two cups of coffee, some toast, and about three cigarettes. :rolleyes: I had been worried about puking, so I'd intentionally showed up hungry.

This is bad for acclimation to g-loading, and for some people, bad for acclimating to inverted flight or any of the rest of it. He advised me to always eat "a big ol' greezy breakfast" (his exact words) before an aerobatic flight... not right before, obviously, but it's a good idea to get the body working nominally with plenty of fuel. Coffee or any stimulant/diuretic is a bad idea, as it will dry you out and boost your heart rate to begin with, and of course smoking, with its effect on blood oxygenation and adrenaline production, is a no-no, even though smokers feel "soothed" by cigarettes.

I'm sure some aerobatic pilots who do it often can get away with abusing their bodies or flying on an empty stomach, but for any beginner it's a really bad idea. And when you look at real champion aerobatic performers, you see athletes, with athletes' health habits (for the most part).

Anyway, I had some cookies or something and some juice and water while we briefed for the second half, and felt much better on the next flight. FWIW, in the Zlin 242 with its bubble canopy, he taught me to look first at a wingtip during the loop entry, then overhead coming over the top to keep it straight. We did all of the loops over a long straight stretch of railroad tracks.

My exact same experience:lol:.
I've never been a smoker, but have been a heavy coffee drinker my entire adult life.

Thanks for the tips.

Just eat normally. Unless you regularly eat things that make you queasy or uncomfortable, your regular diet should be just fine. Give it an hour or two to get digesting and head out.

Sent via teletype

No Coffee, lots of liquid absorbing food. Crackers, bread, mashed potatoes, that kind of thing. A big greasy breakfast would be my second option. Avoid liquids as much as you can, but drink what you need.

-John

Back