Beginner Aerobatics Training Book/Package Recomendations

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Hi All,

I think I might want to buy a Citabria and learn a little about aerobatics.

Can anybody suggest a good reader or training package.

I'm about 56, I'll never be looking at the pro circuit.

I just want a reason to fly and I really like the stick and rudder feedback I get when I've gone up in a Decathlon for spin training.

Thanks,

Since you've already had spin training in the Decathlon, why not talk with the instructor about options, aircraft, reading material, etc?

Duane Cole's "Roll Around a Point" is good reading for before starting your training with a qualified aerobatic instructor.

The book "Basic Aerobatics" by Geza Szurovy and Mike Goulian is excellant.

IMO, Alan Cassidy's book 'Better Aerobatics' is the most comprehensive, technically in-depth, and best book available. It's really an amazing effort and worth every penny. It has helped me a lot more than any of the others. It covers basic through advanced concepts and maneuvers in great detail, meaning it's applicable no matter your experience level. It's geared toward precision aerobatics, but that does not necessarily have to mean competition.

I kind of liked Bill Kershner's book. I think the title is Basic Aerobatics. Szurovy and Goulian's book is good too. Check out the IAC's website for a bunch of other good ones.

I'll 2nd Whiff's recommendation for Better Aerobatics. Also, I'd recommend Bill Thomas' Fly for Fun and Fly for Fun to Win.

Thanks all.

I usually just lurk for bargains on Amazon and e-bay.

Murphey, I do plan to talk to my spin instructor.

I don't expect our schedules to overlap again for at least 2 weeks.

BT, before you by a Citabria do a little research on the spar issue. You are probably already aware of it but if you have a cracked wooden spar it really can be quite pricey.

Back