BEFORE Flying there was. . . . . . (N/A)

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
. . . . . SAILING. The former wife recently e-mailed me some "Hey, remember these?" photos. (Understand we've been divorced for 25 years). I had taken on teaching her(before marriage) sailing and she was doing pretty well. One day we were sailing up the coast, en route to Bar Harbor. There's this famous lighthouse, Pemaquid Light, that's a couple centuries old and is visited/photographed by thousands on a yearly basis.

She wanted to get closer for a good shot of it and I agreed, though I told her to stay on the sheet and be ready to come about on my command. Familiar with the huge cascading ledges apparent at low tide, I keenly (on a near full tide)watched the depth sounder and at 25'(my draft was 5'5") she responded appropriately to my "Ready about?"
"Hard A-lee!" -- and I nearly s-m-p when the boat jibed instead of coming about. I looked over and she was taking a freakin' picture instead of haulin' the bloody sheet. Well, all was fine, though she was a little green around the gills. The photo she sent me is below. Yup; I remember it very well.
The comment which accompanied the photo: O.M.G...I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA DIE ON THE ROCKS!!

The other photo was at a stopover at Pleasant Point, Cushing(my home town). I had raised the beard for playing "Lazar Wolf," in "Fiddler on the Roof."

HR

Attachments

• The Pemaquid Fright.jpg
    The Pemaquid Fright.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 38
  • The Pemaquid Fright - After.jpg
    The Pemaquid Fright - After.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Back