Before Flight Anxiety

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
I'm just curious how many pilots experience some sort of anxiety before flying? Why? What do you do about it?

I've had a couple people tell me they sometimes had to deal with negative emotions before flying. I was surprised and wondering how wide spread that is?

Evaluating your emotional state is the first item on the pre-flight check list.

This has been discussed before. Can't seem to find the thread though.

I also have pre-flight anxiety. I have a trip planned tomorrow night, and I'm anxious going over maps, updating Foreflight, checking the weather, Notams, TFRs, etc. Making sure I don't miss anything, running through emergency drills in my head, alternate airports in case of weather.

Ill have nerves until I roll onto the centerline and power up. Then it all goes away, and I just concentrate on flying.

Ill have nerves until I roll onto the centerline and power up. Then it all goes away, and I just concentrate on flying.

Used to be this way for me when I raced motocross. If you have ever seen a motocross start, they line all of the bikes up handlebar to handlebar on a gate, then the gate drops and you all duke it out. Usually i did very well at starts because being in the middle of the pack is dangerous and sucks big time.

I used to be so nervous I was about sick before that gate dropped. The second it went down, it was instant relaxation

Focus when in the activity changes everything for most people.

As for worrying about planning, I just make the plan (looking at the forecast etc) and barely looking at anything until the day arrives... Then I make my decision. Cuts out so much concern/stress.

I'm just curious how many pilots experience some sort of anxiety before flying? Why? What do you do about it?

This is your body's way of adjusting its chemistry to sharpen your mental focus on a task which involves risk. Actors and musicians talk about "butterflies" in their stomachs before they go onstage as a welcome phenomenon.

I have a friend who's a CFII in an area noted for lots of actual IMC. When it became so routine that he was no longer feeling a little anxiety at takeoff, he actually stayed out of clouds for a few weeks until the butterflies returned.

All fear stems from a sense that we're not prepared for what's about to happen. You can never be prepared for 100% of what could happen, so some anxiety will always be there, whether it's a math test or a Guiness record motorcycle jump attempt.

I never felt anything bad, until my very first "real far away" cross country to Monterey about 100nm. I got there and could not enjoy myself at the world class aquarium. All I kept thinking was "We have to work tomorrow. I got us here in a plane, I am responsible for the life of my passenger and myself, it will be dark soon over the ocean, and I am our only way back." I kept looking out the window, worrying about the weather. It was a PERFECT DAY but, sure enough, I called the briefer who told me to hurry back before all coastal airports became VFR about 6 hours earlier than predicted that morning. Not a cloud in sight and yet I knew they would soon surround us. Scary.

Ill have nerves until I roll onto the centerline and power up.

I'm exactly the same way. After I finish fueling and strap in to taxi to the runway, I am constantly thinking "I could call this off right now" and in my mind I'm looking for a reason to do so. If I don't find any, full power and focus and then I can no longer think about the anxiety.

I'm exactly the same way. After I finish fueling and strap in to taxi to the runway, I am constantly thinking "I could call this off right now" and in my mind I'm looking for a reason to do so. If I don't find any, full power and focus and then I can no longer think about the anxiety.
Chris, somehow picturing that cute little face in your profile pic having any doubts just doesn't jibe.... :)

I've had a couple people tell me they sometimes had to deal with negative emotions before flying. I was surprised and wondering how wide spread that is?

It helps to be direct, specifically what kind of anxiety are we talking about?

I started the other thread on this same topic and I have to say even though I now have 100 more hours of logged time, I still feel the exact same way. It is what it is I guess, and I'm hopeful that it makes me a safer pilot.

I'm not myself untill I sit down in the plane too! Then, it's starts to get better. Quite weird. I think it's directly related to the "risks" of flying and the fact that it's somewhat "unnatural" for a human to be in the air. I guess...

Used to be this way for me when I raced motocross. If you have ever seen a motocross start, they line all of the bikes up handlebar to handlebar on a gate, then the gate drops and you all duke it out. Usually i did very well at starts because being in the middle of the pack is dangerous and sucks big time.

I used to be so nervous I was about sick before that gate dropped. The second it went down, it was instant relaxation
I know that feeling well! Former Yamaha and CanAm rider here!

I feel some level of anxiety anytime flying commercial, and I did have a little nervousness at the beginning of flight training. After my long cross country I never felt nervous getting into a small plane again.

Here's an interesting and different twist on pre-flight pilot anxiety:

My wife is a pilot, too. Of my 1700 hours PIC, she's been on-board probably 1500 of them. In the last few years, the only time I have flown without her in the right seat is on my biennials, or when my son (also a pilot) was in the right seat.

I feel pre-flight anxiety if I know I will be flying alone, or with non-pilots in the right seat. If Mary or Joe are going to be in the right seat, my concern level drops to near-zero.

My guess is that at some subconscious level I am concerned about becoming incapacitated in-flight. Knowing that I have a trusted co-pilot in the right seat means that I don't have worry about not being able to get my kids (for example) back on the ground safely.

Or something like that. I try not to over-analyze it, just like I don't try to figure out why I'm afraid of heights in tall buildings, but not in airplanes. :goofy:

I typically get a little more anxious than "baseline" when planning a long XC. Local, not really anymore. A quick weather check, my usual pre-flight routine, and let's go.

For XC's, the added tiny bit of anxiousness typically just keeps me focused on the routine... weather, good pre-flight, etc. Mainly weather. Stuff changes the further afield you fly. That's a given. You just hunt around and make sure you have "outs" and are ready to execute them.

When I first started flying, when I would start messing up landings or whatever... my shoulders would head for my ears. All tense.

My first CFI noticed it and karate-chopped me one day between the shoulder and neck and pointed it out... we both laughed.

Ever since then, when I feel my shoulders rising for something that's bugging me in flight, I make a mental effort to both figure out what it is, and also to forcibly relax my shoulders. Doesn't happen too often anymore, but when it does, it's a sign something's subconsciously bothering me about the flight, or I'm struggling with something.

Interestingly the most anxious I've felt in a long while was walking out to the airplane with Jesse our first night in Nebraska on the second flight seeing the fog covering the airport. My "VFR brain" was saying, "That's not something we're supposed to fly in, dude..." but we'd done a very thorough look at the weather, the Skew-T, etc etc etc... and had our "outs", etc.

Of course, anyone who followed along on those posts also knows that turned into my first IFR approach to minimums... and by minimums I mean we had to make sure we had the required items to descend past DA... it was low. Great experience.

The other voice in my head was going, "You don't know this CFII from Adam... you showed up here in Nebraska about three hours ago to fly with this guy you've never met before from an Internet website..."

There were two things that kept me walking out to that airplane... Jesse is a solid professional with a very calm and with no other good way to put it... "normal" demeanor, and Spike had offered up a personal comment to me prior to leaving Denver that Jesse knew his stuff.

I've climbed into a number of airplanes with really **** poor pilots and regretted it later. Luckily none have killed me or bent any airplanes, but my "this guy doesn't know what he's doing" meter is finely tuned. The meter never left the bottom peg with Jesse.

The other time the anxiety went up a bit, just enough to make me stop and think, was when Jesse and I had that temporary static system problem at night during taxi out. The safety training and what-not kicked in, and we both said simultaneously that we were going to taxi in and give it a closer look.

That unfortunately didn't alleviate all of our concerns, but we knew it looked like it was working properly on Alternate Static, so then the professionalism and thought process steps up a notch, and we pretty instinctively briefed the takeoff "a little harder" than usual...

"If the A/S seems wrong at any point during the takeoff you can either abort or ignore it completely and let the aircraft fly off when it's ready. Climb at a known angle and power setting for this aircraft until we're high enough to safely spend time troubleshooting again. We will not be going under the hood for the short trip to Lincoln, this will be all eyeballs outside VFR."

In short, replace the anxiety with a plan. The plan can change, but get it said out-loud and confirm everybody's "okay" with the plan. If there's no other pilot aboard, make sure you're "okay" with the plan. I talk to myself in those scenarios, others may handle it differently.

"Okay, wind picked up and this is going to be a pretty significant cross-wind landing... you know you're okay to do the landing but you've always had a tendency to relax control pressure at touchdown. Put the flight controls all the way into the wind at touch-down or as soon as possible thereafter. You know how to do this... checklist, GUMPS, flaaaaare... look up (my reminder to myself to look at the far end of the runway), okay full right aileron, elevator all the way back..."

I'd offer up the thought that the "anxiety" never goes away completely with each flight, beginning to end, but it lessens a lot over time, and gets more tuned-in to when things are really going sideways. Any time it has popped up and I've ignored it, I've kicked myself later on. Complacency.

If you're anxious... there's probably a reason. You find information, a problem, or whatever is causing it and act on it until the anxiety goes away. Similar vein to my post to the person who asked if they should fly a cheap local beater airplane... if you're not comfortable launching in it, then don't.

Part of the early anxiety is just knowing you don't have enough experience, and you have to suck it up and go get some. :)

I understand most of the comments- I have a similar feeling.

Planning, (which generally involves days of weather watching) preflight, taxi, I'm looking for the "no go". I do 'run-up' and if all is with in my experience to say "go" concern is mostly left on the ground.

I've had four experiences of no go's and three of which were in hindsight "go's" but at the time I was happy to disappoint my passenger (girlfriend) with a decision I was comfortable with. I have a rule that if I'm not 100 percent that I can get the plane safely tied down after taking off I'm not flying. Conservative, absolutely; however I'm doing this for pleasure, and know of no other way to ensure (relative) safety.

I'm always at a state of arousal (in the non-sexual sense) whenever I'm launching into the clouds. I'm hyper-alert and ready for anything. Then once I'm in the clouds for a minute or two without anything bad happening I relax a bit. I had the same feelings in the CG whenever I was about to deploy from the helo, wondering about the water temps and sea state and other stuff. Then once I was in the water and doing the job it all became normal again.

And it never goes away completely. If it does, that's probably a sign that you're not paying enough attention.

I only get a bit nervous when I'm flying something new. After I get comfortable with the plane (however long that may be) then I don't get that feeling anymore. When I was flying with Ted there was always a surprise or ten, but that was all part of becoming comfortable. When he cut me loose in the Aztec I felt like I was ready for anything. The Lear took me about 75 hours before I felt like I was worth a warm bucket of cat vomit in the left seat. The workload is high and it moves very fast so there's a lot to stay in top of. I don't get the nervous feeling anymore, but I still get heightened awareness. That said, I haven't flown a single in about a year and a half so I'll probably be a nervous wreck the next time I do.

That said, I haven't flown a single in about a year and a half so I'll probably be a nervous wreck the next time I do.
You can come up with me, I'll talk you thru it. :yesnod:

:)

Funny, I have no anxiety what so ever, flying is where I am suppose to be. :dunno:

After a few near misses in other "adventures" every day is gravey. ;)

Life is realative and you cannot get out alive. Enjoy it, embrace it, cherish every day. :D

Or maybe I have anxiety all the time and don't know it? :rofl:

Last edited:
Funny, I have no anxiety what so ever, flying is where I am suppose to be. :dunno:

After a few near misses in other "adventures" every day is gravey. ;)

Life is realative and you cannot get out alive. Enjoy it, embrace it, cherish every day. :D

Or maybe I have anxiety all the time and don't know it? :rofl:

Yep, I don't get much anxiety either. I still get kinda anxious when I know I'm about to go in IMC, but after the first 5 or 10 minutes (if I'm even in the clouds that long) the anxious feeling goes away.

I don't feel it during the planning or the actual flying. But driving to the airport, as I do a virtual simulation of the flight in my head, is when I feel a little anxious. The only other time is when I am far from home-base. I did a scud-run from Ohio, through Pennsylvania, to my (then) home-base in S. New Jersey once... Though it was challenging and brought a feeling of accomplishment, in the end, I didn't like the uncertain feeling much. Not of safety but the uncertainty of will-I-make-it-all-the-way-home. The memory of that keeps me wary and anxious at times.

I don't know if anxiety is the right word for it, but yeah. Before each flight I reckon with the sobering thoughts of dealing with "what if" scenarios and possible emergencies in flight. This can be a downer and a de-motivator for getting in the cockpit and enjoying your flight. On the other hand, it can be a motivator for extra dedication to safety and making sure you're as well prepared and safe as you can possibly be. If you look at it that way, it can create confidence instead. A little bit of fear is a very good thing, but not so much that you can't enjoy flying in the first place.

I don't know if anxiety is the right word for it, but yeah. Before each flight I reckon with the sobering thoughts of dealing with "what if" scenarios and possible emergencies in flight. This can be a downer and a de-motivator for getting in the cockpit and enjoying your flight. On the other hand, it can be a motivator for extra dedication to safety and making sure you're as well prepared and safe as you can possibly be. If you look at it that way, it can create confidence instead. A little bit of fear is a very good thing, but not so much that you can't enjoy flying in the first place.

:yeahthat:

Exactly my experience. I do notice I have more anxiety if it's been longer since I flew.

I never felt anything bad, until my very first "real far away" cross country to Monterey about 100nm. I got there and could not enjoy myself at the world class aquarium. All I kept thinking was "We have to work tomorrow. I got us here in a plane, I am responsible for the life of my passenger and myself, it will be dark soon over the ocean, and I am our only way back." I kept looking out the window, worrying about the weather. It was a PERFECT DAY but, sure enough, I called the briefer who told me to hurry back before all coastal airports became VFR about 6 hours earlier than predicted that morning. Not a cloud in sight and yet I knew they would soon surround us. Scary.

I get the same feeling, and sometimes don't enjoy the trip like I should. I think part of it is the fact that we're renters, and have a sense of responsibility to get the airplanes back to their home base. I would hope that would change as an owner, provided that your personal schedule (work and other obligations) doesn't cause you to have "get home-itis" and make poor decisions.

Here's an interesting and different twist on pre-flight pilot anxiety:

My wife is a pilot, too. Of my 1700 hours PIC, she's been on-board probably 1500 of them. In the last few years, the only time I have flown without her in the right seat is on my biennials, or when my son (also a pilot) was in the right seat.

I feel pre-flight anxiety if I know I will be flying alone, or with non-pilots in the right seat. If Mary or Joe are going to be in the right seat, my concern level drops to near-zero.

My guess is that at some subconscious level I am concerned about becoming incapacitated in-flight. Knowing that I have a trusted co-pilot in the right seat means that I don't have worry about not being able to get my kids (for example) back on the ground safely.

Or something like that. I try not to over-analyze it, just like I don't try to figure out why I'm afraid of heights in tall buildings, but not in airplanes. :goofy:

I have that too, though I never put a finger on it like that. The sense of obligation I have to a non-pilot passenger seems so much bigger than with a pilot in the right seat (CFI or not). And flying solo means there is no one to share the load with, as in looking for other traffic, and I therefore enjoy it less when I'm solo.

Still love it when I'm solo, just not as much as with a qualified pax.

I think the anxiety comes from a "fear of the unknown." It just going out to fly locally, most are not uncomfortable at all because there is no pressure. If you fly a couple hundred miles away or more to somewhere you haven't been before, there is the big unknown of "will I be able to get back home?" The key is just to relax. Worse case, you have to rent a car and drive home. Nobody is shooting at you. Just relax and enjoy. Life is in the journey.

500+ hours, I still get some preflight jitters. It's mostly when flying with a new passenger. Once I'm moving, and everything is working, I'm good. I love flying young eagles and only worry about the weather on those days.
I started training in a Schweizer 300; looking for the rating if not a new, expensive hobby. There's a lot of jitters going on there. I've managed to scare the stuffing out of myself on more than one occasion. The jitters and the scares come from not being as comfortable with heli operations as with fixed wing.
So you work through it, rely on your training and your instructor, and know you're not alone. The only other choice is quitting; and for me, not one of the options. The expense will kill the hobby long before the passion leaves me.

Now up to 3000 hours PIC. Cool as a cucumber, I tell you. Got it handled. Know what I'm doing, ducks in a row, charts folded, electronic data base downloaded, got it all handled. The airplane is as comfortable as an old shoe, and I'm looking forward to the trip..... until I get Flight Service on the phone. Belly cramps make their appearance, and I make a quick trip to the loo. Flight plan filed. Doors locked. Cat accounted for. All is well. We're good to go. Ah, er, maybe one more visit to the ladies'. Out the door. Oops, got to go, again. So I am fine. I'm not at all nervous. I've been at this a few years. So why is my gut still jittery? The up-side is that by the time I start the engine, I've got LOTS of range.

It helps to be direct, specifically what kind of anxiety are we talking about?

I didn't have any idea really. It was something a couple of older ex-pilots told me about separately on separate occations. It actually kind of surprised me. Both these guys had really flown a lot.

I didn't have any idea really. It was something a couple of older ex-pilots told me about separately on separate occations. It actually kind of surprised me. Both these guys had really flown a lot.

When I read your post the first thing that jumps to mind is fear of death. Pilots spend so much time talking about the dangers, accident analysis, engine failure, etc, etc. It all starts to mess with your mind.

When I used to race motorcycles all anyone talked about was going faster. No one talked about crashing, burning, being paralyzed, etc. All real possibilities and far more probable than having something happen flying.

To generalize, pilots tend to be control types. The more you fly the more you realize control is an illusion, there will always be variables that cannot be controlled, with death as a possible outcome. That's enough to make a lot of us anxious.

Part of the early anxiety is just knowing you don't have enough experience, and you have to suck it up and go get some. :)
Concur. In the previous thread on this topic, I was only a couple dozen hours out from getting my PPL, and routinely had pre-flight jitters.

Not that I'm exactly an old salt now, but I've got my IR and over 200 hrs in the book, and have enough confidence that my "fear of what I don't know" is a little bit reduced. Of course I know there are things out there that could "get me", but I'm no longer worried that I'll screw up a call to the tower, or forget how I'm supposed to request to taxi for departure, or mis-dial a VOR or GPS setting, etc.

When I first started working an office job and had to give presentations to management, I routinely got butterflies. What if I don't know the answer to a question? What if I didn't include the info they're really looking for on my charts? What if I get blindsided by something completely unexpected?

But I've done enough presentations now that I'm familiar with the drill, and there's generally nothing that can fall into the category of "completely" unexpected anymore. I don't get those butterflies, anymore.

I think it's a similar thing with flying. I'm no expert pilot (and probably never will be), but I've developed more proficiency and confidence in the basics, and that translates into less irrational fear of the unknown.

Then again, everyone's different. I've learned to expect the butterflies to go away over time, but that's not how everyone's wired. If a pilot always gets butterflies when anticipating a flight, it doesn't necessarily mean (s)he's any less confident or proficient than I am...just means they're a different individual.

Last edited:
Back