Been diagnosed with ADHD

Thanks. I was referring to the OPs comment that he was ruling out light sport because it didn't fit with the way he wanted to fly. And that is a legitimate reason.

As for wasting FAA's time: you won't be dealing with FAA until you know you are capable of getting that medical. And wasting an AMEs time only happens if you aren't open and honest - billing takes care of compensating for his/her time. You seem sure that diagnosis is correct, the only time wasted would be your own.
Like I said i will get my LSA and live with that. Still makes me a tad upset. but im still grateful that i can have that, id imagine this is what epileptics feel when they find out they cant drive . Just to clarify iv never been denied a medical.

Op....someone has posted here what all the Psych Eval will entail...go look at that stuff and then decide if that is somthing you think you can do better than 15% of the other pilots out there.

Have you even taken any of the WAIS IQ tests?

Op....someone has posted here what all the Psych Eval will entail...go look at that stuff and then decide if that is somthing you think you can do better than 15% of the other pilots out there.

Have you even taken any of the WAIS IQ tests?
Yeah iv taken it so many time i can memorize the question I have a iq of 80 to 85.

You guys are right, I should just stick to what i know. Learned from a early age that life is unfair

If you got those numbers right and you are serious.....I think you made need to reconsider being a pilot. For your and everyone else's safety.
I wonder if there is any data published that compares accident rates to IQ.

Iv heard that it doesn't necessarily mean your stupid
That gets into definitions of terms. I'm more interested in what the real world results are. Some people seem to assume that having a high IQ correlates with being a good pilot. I'm not sure it's that simple.

Last edited:
That get into definitions of terms. I'm more interested in what the real world results are. Some people seem to assume that having a high IQ correlates with being a good pilot. I'm not sure it's that simple.
I mean im pretty talented with computers, Iv built my own and I'm currently in college for IT with a specialization in cyber security. I had my discovery flight when I was 15 as a gift and the institutor said i knew my stuff. I try to view myself as a capable enough to fly. Like iv said before I fly a lot in x plane on the vatsim network.

Why not get your LSA as Step 1. Then do a consultation with Dr Bruce and hear him out. It WILL be an up hill battle. It will be an expensive one. But many have overcome it. As many have already stated - once you fail a medical your done. And seriously - don't lie to the feds. You seem like a young smart guy - don't take chances with that. I started with LSA as i did not believe I could pass a medical. This very board told me I was wrong. They told me to contact Dr. Bruce. I did. I now fly a beautiful Cirrus with over 750 hours in a few short years. Just word of caution - do NOT try to pull the wool over Dr Bruce's eyes. If he feels you are keeping something from him he will drop you like a hot potato and let you burn. Just sayin.

Why not get your LSA as Step 1. Then do a consultation with Dr Bruce and hear him out. It WILL be an up hill battle. It will be an expensive one. But many have overcome it. As many have already stated - once you fail a medical your done. And seriously - don't lie to the feds. You seem like a young smart guy - don't take chances with that. I started with LSA as i did not believe I could pass a medical. This very board told me I was wrong. They told me to contact Dr. Bruce. I did. I now fly a beautiful Cirrus with over 750 hours in a few short years. Just word of caution - do NOT try to pull the wool over Dr Bruce's eyes. If he feels you are keeping something from him he will drop you like a hot potato and let you burn. Just sayin.
Yeah now when i think about getting my LSA and talk to Bruce would be the best choice

Why are these questions relevant? Let's not "pile on".

I am not piling on...I am trying to give the Op an idea of what he is getting himself into. He is going to be at least $3000 into the pscych eval with travel costs and Dr. costs etc.

His IQ being 80 is too low to be in the TOP 85% of airmen.

That's why I asked if he had any previous test results taken, high school transcripts and any college transcripts.....he would need to get those to Dr. Bruce to peruse and to the HIMS Psych to look over.

I don't want him to get all excited about getting a 3rd class to fly certified planes and to "Progress and move forward" if that may not even be in the cards for him.

When Dr. Bruce and the HIMS Psych look at his previous test batteries and his transcript they will tell him right away what his odds are.

IF your IQ is really 80, what were your grades like in school? Did you ever go to college?
Didn't do well in high school getting Bs and As in college which im currently in.

Didn't do well in high school getting Bs and As in college which im currently in.

OK...then your IQ is nowhere near 80....it's going to be 100 or better to be getting A's and B's in college.

What were your SAT's or ACT scores? They must have been good since your HS GPA was poor.

OK...then your IQ is nowhere near 80....it's going to be 100 or better to be getting A's and B's in college.

What were your SAT's or ACT scores? They must have been good since your HS GPA was poor.
Thats what the schools and the state told me. The one I took for college raised it from a 80 to a 85. I have no clue what my act scores are I did those two/three years ago.

Did the school give you your ADD screening? I don't remember if you said that info or not?
The school didn't give it to me but they suggested me to go to psychiatrist.

The school didn't give it to me but they suggested me to go to psychiatrist.
Did the school recommend a certain one and who paid for it?

I guess what I am getting at is there may have been a lot of your other classmates who also have been diagnosed with ADD and really don't have it.

Did the school recommend a certain one and who paid for it?

I guess what I am getting at is there may have been a lot of your other classmates who also have been diagnosed with ADD and really don't have it.
No my parents though the school knew best (they didn't) and though medication would help (it didn't). As for other class mates, I would run out of fingers and toes if I had to count how many people had ADHD in my school, do I think they have it, I couldn't say I'm not a doctor

It sounds like your school was pushing for ADD diagnoses? Do schools get extra funding if they have > some number of kids with ADD?

It sounds like your school was pushing for ADD diagnoses? Do schools get extra funding if they have > some number of kids with ADD?
I think all schools are doing that based on how many thread on reddit, here and other fourms iv looked at

If you are in college, and doing well, and off meds, you might be better than you think. I don't know, but someone else might - would a college or university have any resources in their student health center that might be able to help with an ADD screening? Could something like that give some results that could help the OP? FAA will want a heavy duty ($$$) round of tests to show you don't have ADHD. If there is a way to get a low cost screening ahead of time to give you an idea, it sure would be nice.

If you are in college, and doing well, and off meds, you might be better than you think. I don't know, but someone else might - would a college or university have any resources in their student health center that might be able to help with an ADD screening? Could something like that give some results that could help the OP? FAA will want a heavy duty ($$$) round of tests to show you don't have ADHD. If there is a way to get a low cost screening ahead of time to give you an idea, it sure would be nice.
I had one recently done but they didn't confirm or deny that i had ADD the only thing they added that i had difficulty in math the would be fixed with calculator usage.

I had one recently done but they didn't confirm or deny that i had ADD the only thing they added that i had difficulty in math the would be fixed with calculator usage.
They might not have been looking specifically for ADHD. This is over my head. You might need to talk with a real doctor or AME about how to proceed.

They might not have been looking specifically for ADHD. This is over my head. You might need to talk with a real doctor or AME about how to proceed.
To be honest if you go to one of these test and think of any LD you could think of you will probably test positive even though you dont have it. When i was young the school told me I was different and that's where i gained that mindset, it messes people up.

Yeah, that has to be tough to deal with. Regardless of anything else going on, you might very well have been mis-diagnosed with ADHD. You need to find someone willing to work with you to find out the truth.

Yeah, that has to be tough to deal with. Regardless of anything else going on, you might very well have been mis-diagnosed with ADHD. You need to find someone willing to work with you to find out the truth.
I will, thank you for all your help and I'll try to stay optimistic.

Down here they do, I have been told this by former principles and school board members.

The more kids with learning disabilities means more school funding.

Down here they do, I have been told this by former principles and school board members.

The more kids with learning disabilities means more school funding.
The bad thing about it that these kids for their whole lives have been told to accept less and apply for that mcdonalds job and do that for the rest of their lives. While the "normal" kid gets told to follow their dreams, makes me mad

The bad thing about it that these kids for their whole lives have been told to accept less and apply for that mcdonalds job and do that for the rest of their lives. While the "normal" kid gets told to follow their dreams, makes me mad

There's always going to be people in society who will tell others their dreams aren't attainable. I've seen more people accomplish things through persistence and hard headed stubbornness than anything else.

Sure, being brilliant helps some people do some things easier, but you sometimes have to do self-assessment of your own capabilities and capacity for learning the hard way, and ignore naysayers.

Put another way, I've met more "not that bright" people in life who were wildly successful who accomplished their goals by persistence and hard work, than I've met geniuses living up to their own full potential.

If anything, sometimes geniuses slack off far more than folks who HAVE to work hard for things, because they can.

Many people look at the work of Thomas Edison from the simple stories and history of him taught in lower level schooling and believe he was a genius.

If you dig further into his work, you find that he was obnoxiously stubborn and wrote everything down that did NOT work in his lab, and there's mountains of his own logs that show a different person than the "legend" would indicate. He put in more hours in a week, week after week, than most of us could stand -- failing the entire time. Because he wouldn't give up on whatever he couldn't figure out.

Just the logs of the things he tried to get a working light bulb going, are massive and impressive if you're thoughtful enough to put yourself in his shoes and think about how much time and failures he had before finding the right combination of things to make a light bulb work.

Something nobody thought they needed.

"Those gas lamps work just fine. Why is he in that lab all night messing with that electcity stuff and all those failures to make a lightbulb. Whatever that is!"

Just one of hundreds of examples.

Never give up until the door is firmly and soundly closed on anything you want to do. Sometimes you figure out on your own that something isn't workable for you, but it's still your decision.

I knew and miss a blind friend who hopped a city bus one day, knew the driver's voice and the driver and knew he had a sense of humor, and they acted like my blind friend was there to start his afternoon shift as a bus driver. The real driver got out of the seat and Bob sat down in it. He was going to drive that city bus that day. People scampered off the bus in fear out the back door!

They had a good laugh and Bob knew his own very real limitations, but he never stopped believing he could do anything a sighted person could.

He passed away many years ago, far too young, but he knew he wasn't promised any of his days in life, and his funeral was packed with people from all walks of life who loved his zeal for it. Drive the bus? Hell yes, he could drive that bus!

Not really, but he would have if someone would have let him. He knew not to, but he didn't listen to anyone telling him he couldn't do things. Those people were just a waste of his time. He knew what he could and couldn't do.

There's always going to be people in society who will tell others their dreams aren't attainable. I've seen more people accomplish things through persistence and hard headed stubbornness than anything else.

Sure, being brilliant helps some people do some things easier, but you sometimes have to do self-assessment of your own capabilities and capacity for learning the hard way, and ignore naysayers.

Put another way, I've met more "not that bright" people in life who were wildly successful who accomplished their goals by persistence and hard work, than I've met geniuses living up to their own full potential.

If anything, sometimes geniuses slack off far more than folks who HAVE to work hard for things, because they can.

Many people look at the work of Thomas Edison from the simple stories and history of him taught in lower level schooling and believe he was a genius.

If you dig further into his work, you find that he was obnoxiously stubborn and wrote everything down that did NOT work in his lab, and there's mountains of his own logs that show a different person than the "legend" would indicate. He put in more hours in a week, week after week, than most of us could stand -- failing the entire time. Because he wouldn't give up on whatever he couldn't figure out.

Just the logs of the things he tried to get a working light bulb going, are massive and impressive if you're thoughtful enough to put yourself in his shoes and think about how much time and failures he had before finding the right combination of things to make a light bulb work.

Something nobody thought they needed.

"Those gas lamps work just fine. Why is he in that lab all night messing with that electcity stuff and all those failures to make a lightbulb. Whatever that is!"

Just one of hundreds of examples.

Never give up until the door is firmly and soundly closed on anything you want to do. Sometimes you figure out on your own that something isn't workable for you, but it's still your decision.

I knew and miss a blind friend who hopped a city bus one day, knew the driver's voice and the driver and knew he had a sense of humor, and they acted like my blind friend was there to start his afternoon shift as a bus driver. The real driver got out of the seat and Bob sat down in it. He was going to drive that city bus that day. People scampered off the bus in fear out the back door!

They had a good laugh and Bob knew his own very real limitations, but he never stopped believing he could do anything a sighted person could.

He passed away many years ago, far too young, but he knew he wasn't promised any of his days in life, and his funeral was packed with people from all walks of life who loved his zeal for it. Drive the bus? Hell yes, he could drive that bus!

Not really, but he would have if someone would have let him. He knew not to, but he didn't listen to anyone telling him he couldn't do things. Those people were just a waste of his time. He knew what he could and couldn't do.
Thanks. People said I wouldn't get into college and look where i am now. Going to college has made me more confident then i ever been before.

120 knots on < 6 gph. I easily out fly a stock 172
I've seen people say that getting your LSA is a waste of time. Although I do find putting together a Kitplane pretty cool

I've seen people say that getting your LSA is a waste of time. Although I do find putting together a Kitplane pretty cool
I'm a PP/IR flying without a medical. The Jabiru J230 is a Australian 4-place with the back seats removed and the weight limit 1340# is in the Flight Manual. Actually certified to 1640#. It has robust gear and a 120 hp engine. The only LSA I found that would actually carry something, camping gear etc. It will go faster over 130, but fuel consumption goes way up. Carb is optimized for 120 knots. I had no interest in the European models where there is barely room for a backpack. And I didn't like the sounds of a Rotax.

Loading 6 cases of wine and baggage.
loading wine.JPG

Back