Beechcraft Travel Air

So, you don't understand physics now Wayne? Seriously, that's what I'm getting at, that in anything that doesn't have a regulatory requirement to climb OEI, the slower you hit the ground, the better chance you have to get out alive.

Physics hadn't been invented when Wayne was born.

So now it's the regulatory requirement?

So, you don't understand physics now Wayne? Seriously, that's what I'm getting at, that in anything that doesn't have a regulatory requirement to climb OEI, the slower you hit the ground, the better chance you have to get out alive.

Power is weight. Weight is higher speeds. The bigger the twin, the faster you're going to hit the ground if you can't hold altitude on one.
Go fly a twin Comanche back to back with a t-bone and then come back to explain the error of your ways.

Go fly a twin Comanche back to back with a t-bone and then come back to explain the error of your ways.

Yep, more weight is more lift, speed is only one way to get that lift.

Compare a F-104 to a 747 for an extreme example.

No, it's a generalization. Fact of the matter is, given the choice, I'd rather crash something with the lowest stall speed. Low time multi pilot, good luck insuring yourself in a 6 cylinder twin.

I had no issues getting insured in the Aztec at 225 TT, and that was without a rating about 3 multi time.

To the OP.
Ya gotta start somewhere. A Travel Air is as good a place as any.
Since you have a partner, the first three years won't be as bad as it might have been - and especially the First year.
In three years you will have spent the purchase price of the airplane again, in maintenance and upgrades.
Finding a plane that is not a complete money pit due to 'deferred maintenance' - aka, outright lies in the logs - is the major first hurdle. You will need an expert A&P in Travel Airs to take to each plane for the pre buy (or bring the plane to him) inspection.
You are gong to be vastly discouraged before you find the plane that you SHOULD put your money into - as opposed to the one that you want (beware of shiny things dangled in front of you). Spending money up front on travel and lodging for your A&P will be money saved down the road.

Good luck

denny-o and Fat Albert The Apache.

Op,

Have you thought about a Piper Lance? Early one, with the conventional tail, non-turbo. That cabin is a beauty. Good mill out the front, decent speed. Sweet climb performance when undergross. If I can ever afford a worthwhile step up from Arrow costs, the Lance is on my dream sheet.

That's a very nice plane. My instrument instructor has one, he's let me fly it, I like it a lot. My partner, however, has no interest. His Bonanza is a faster version in all but load carrying. It's just him and his wife, no weight issues there...

The reason you see so many tapped-out Travel Airs is that they are very popular as trainers - real workhorses. It's just that some of them have had most of the horse worked out of 'em.

I see a fair amount with less than 6000 hours, but seem to be pretty rough. There are a few out there right now that seemingly have possibilities, but that's it. Hundreds of twin comanches, though.

Power is safety IMO.

With twin prices where they are why not have 600HP in a Baron or 310 class aircraft? You can always pull them back to Travelair speeds and fuel burn if you want. It might take a little while and some training to get used to, but I've never talked to anyone that wanted less performance.

I don't like the fuel burn. Even throttled back you're looking at 24 gals per hour. Everything I'm looking at suggests that it'll be significantly more expensive than the travel air, provided, the travel air is a quality plane.

To the OP.
Ya gotta start somewhere. A Travel Air is as good a place as any.
Since you have a partner, the first three years won't be as bad as it might have been - and especially the First year.
In three years you will have spent the purchase price of the airplane again, in maintenance and upgrades.
Finding a plane that is not a complete money pit due to 'deferred maintenance' - aka, outright lies in the logs - is the major first hurdle. You will need an expert A&P in Travel Airs to take to each plane for the pre buy (or bring the plane to him) inspection.
You are gong to be vastly discouraged before you find the plane that you SHOULD put your money into - as opposed to the one that you want (beware of shiny things dangled in front of you). Spending money up front on travel and lodging for your A&P will be money saved down the road.

Good luck

denny-o and Fat Albert The Apache.

Thanks for the good luck wish and the suggestions. We wouldn't consider a purchase without a pre buy who is an expert in Beech products. Ideally, we'd like to find one in the area where we'd be buying that does not have a relationship with the seller, but we'd fly someone in if that was the right decision.

Funny aside. the guy who bought our 172 flew in from Louisiana with his mechanic. The guy spent 30 minutes taking inspection plates off, my partner took them for a short flight around the pattern, they pulled out cash, and headed home. They were on the ground less than 2 hours. I knew there was no reason for a pre buy, but they didn't. There was nothing wrong with the plane. No deferred maintenance, no outstanding issues, I guess it showed.

I don't like the fuel burn. Even throttled back you're looking at 24 gals per hour. Everything I'm looking at suggests that it'll be significantly more expensive than the travel air, provided, the travel air is a quality plane.

160KTS at 10K 16.4 GPH total. B55 with 470's.

http://www.csobeech.com/flight-pics.html

That's why I just don't understand a TA.

It's getting difficult to find good copies of one, without the turbo normalized mod the OEI altitude is a bit lackluster, with the turbos it does pretty well and will walk away from a 55 Baron above 12,500'. You are a bit load limited with full fuel, but not too bad. You'll need to be sucking O2 and running turbos if you want to see 180kts cruise. The main thing to watch for is corrosion on the control surfaces, they are all Magnesium, and only the ailerons have aluminum replacements IIRC. The tail is a T-34 tail, and while Fuji made a T-34 under license with aluminum tail feathers, they are not STC'd or otherwise approved for use on Beech T-34s or the BE-95. While not difficult to find, they are pricey and prone to corrosion. There aren't a bunch of good copies left around, but there are some if you look hard enough. A turbo comes up every now and then and is worth waiting for if you want a Travelair.

As for 'non standard throttles', it's easily argued that it has standard throttles and later model planes changed the standard, even the 55 and 56 Barons had center throttles as does a DC-3, BE-18 and so on.... It's really a non issue.

1. Nose baggage, all travel airs have it, twinkies dont.

Some do - An extended nose with baggage compartment was one of the Miller mods. However, most (>80%) do not.

2. Counter rotating props, Most twinkies have them, no travel airs do

Dunno if I'd say "Most". Only the 1970-1972 (PA39) models came from the factory with CR props. While many others have been modified to have CR props, the number now equipped is significantly less than 50%.

4. Twinkies have best MPG of any light twin

Well, except the DA42, but that's a whole different animal - It'd take about 10,000 hours of flying just to make up the difference in purchase price!

That's worth some money to me, that's for sure. Jeff's comments about remaining under 4k gross were almost printed in bold text and capitalized for me when I read them. I think that's easily doable in the travel air. The twinkies seem to top out at 3600lbs. I'll have to do some research and math to figure out of that's possible with the lower gross weights.

A Twin Comanche that has tip tanks has a MGW of 3725, but the last 125 pounds has to be fuel in the tips. Some simply leave the standard wing aux tanks empty and fill the tips to have the same fuel capacity with the increased gross weight.

A Twin Comanche with the Robertson STOL kit has a MGW of 3800 pounds, with or without the tip tanks.

A Twin Comanche with the 200hp engine mod will have a much better chance of flying away on one...

A Twin Comanche with the Robertson STOL kit has a MGW of 3800 pounds, with or without the tip tanks.

A Twin Comanche with the 200hp engine mod will have a much better chance of flying away on one...

Curious how much good VG's would do on some of these lower powered birds in terms of OEI climb performance. Cheap, easy install, might knock 3-4 knots off cruise speed but it would be worth it if the single engine performance was noticeably improved.

Curious how much good VG's would do on some of these lower powered birds in terms of OEI climb performance. Cheap, easy install, might knock 3-4 knots off cruise speed but it would be worth it if the single engine performance was noticeably improved.

I've wondered if they'd do anything when combined with the R/STOL kit, too - But I doubt it'd be much. The R/STOL kit on the Twinkie consists of a cuff on the leading edge of the wing, stall fences, and converting the ailerons to flaperons which droop to 15 degrees with the flaps and come back up at full flaps. This reduces Vyse and Vmc both by 15 mph - Pretty impressive.

No experience on small twins, but VGs are a "must have" on many of the larger ones. Good drop in VMC and a bump in gross for Chieftains.

No experience on small twins, but VGs are a "must have" on many of the larger ones. Good drop in VMC and a bump in gross for Chieftains.

I know Ted has some on his 310 but I don't know if he got the plane that way, or if he installed them.

Owned a 1959 Travelair ,one of the best aircraft I have owned. Easy to fly very economical and not that bad on maintenance if you stay up with the little things ,have to look at prop times.go for it .got it down to 14 GPS on local flightss

Back