Beech Sport

Todd82

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Todd
Stumbled into a Beech Sport for sale, and wondering what you guys know about them?

Seems almost like a Cherokee 140 with a left side door added on but I'm sure it has its unique things too. Reliable? Handling similar? Thanks guys.

How are the stall/spin characteristics compared to the "Hershey Bar?"

Looks like a nice bird & the price is definitely right. Hard to argue with that.

Been flying a Sport B19 for 20+ years. Flown it from the Gulf of Mexico to Alaska, from Alaska to Chicago, from Chicago to Elko, NV and back to Alaska as I have moved over the 20 year period. It's slow, comfortable, has good stall and spin characters, mine has 2 doors love that. Maintenance is straight forward, O-320 easy to service, would climb better with an O-360, about 8 1/2 to 9 gph...:)

Last edited:
If I was looking, and the logs and inspection checked out, I'd offer $23,000 and settle on $24,000. and take that puppy home.
Driver side door, and since my most important missions are flying the Mrs and myself to airport diners with the occasional trip to Massachusetts or Tennessee, from mid-NYS, on a retiree's non-schedule, this is a perfect fit.
Too bad I'm not in the market right now.

The plane on Barnstormers has a classic 1970's paint scheme... :vomit:
Interior looks a little dated too, but if the functional stuff works i can deal with seat covers for now and plan on a paint / interior job once the house is paid off in a year or two.

Assuming it’s in good shape, it looks like a lot of airplane for the money.

The only thing that sticks out to me is 2300 hours since new on a 1974. It obviously spent at least part of its life sitting, possibly not being maintained. I would dig a little deeper to see how much it has flown in the last 5-10 years. If it has flown regularly lately, then most of the maintenance items and bugs have probably been dealt with. If it has spent the last 5-10 years parked, it may be a can of worms on maintenance gremlins.

About 100kt for that fuel burn?

Outer ring of my airspeed indicator is mph so that's what I use. Rotate 70mph, short final 75mph, cruse 2500rpm, 2500ft 60F, 120mph....:) I took the rear seat out, just the wife and I. Park outside in SE AK (rainforest) so I took carpet out, painted the plywood floor (easy to clean, no mold). Useful load is not real good around 750lbs (full fuel +2). 30gal a side. Stall flaps up 68mph, 35* 57 mph. My wife Tami, and December snow....:rolleyes:
120.JPG

Last edited:
My 172 was built the same year. It came from the factory with Cessna's elegant and tasteful "Screaming Yellow" interior motif.

View attachment 57419

The upholstery in it now is a more muted beige, but the yellow plastic subpanel remains as a souvenir. :confused:

Yes, we were all breaking out of the chocolate brown and shag carpet of the early 1970s. "Harvest Gold" and "Avocado" were all the rage, iirc. Preparing for the age of beige to come ("Almond" and "Biscuit", the only two colors a committee can agree on)

Yes, we were all breaking out of the chocolate brown and shag carpet of the early 1970s. "Harvest Gold" and "Avocado" were all the rage, iirc. Preparing for the age of beige to come ("Almond" and "Biscuit", the only two colors a committee can agree on)
You forgot burnt orange and the color we now refer to as Smurf blue

My 172 was built the same year. It came from the factory with Cessna's elegant and tasteful "Screaming Yellow" interior motif.

View attachment 57419

The upholstery in it now is a more muted beige, but the yellow plastic subpanel remains as a souvenir. :confused:

You do realize that your local auto paint shop sells spray cans of SEM paint that bonds well to plastic? I did mine in Almond when I bought the plane. The hard part is getting those pieces out to paint . . . .

Back