Beech skipper performance.

Skylane81E

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Duncan
We just picked up a Skipper for our school. Took it for a first flight after a rather intensive annual. Can anyone with experience in type give me a real world idea of the expected climb rate with 20gal fuel and 350lbs of people on board?

It felt very anemic to me, but I really don't have any experience with such a low powered beast to judge by. The engine is making proper static rpm.

Of all the spam-can trainers, 150(2)s, Traumahawks, etc, the Skipper flies the best. But you're right when you say it seems particularly under-powered. Probably be just right with 150hp.

Of all the spam-can trainers, 150(2)s, Traumahawks, etc, the Skipper flies the best. But you're right when you say it seems particularly under-powered. Probably be just right with 150hp.

A local flight school (Dalton, Ga) had Tomahawks and a Skipper. They claimed the skipper was a dog in comparison.

Hahaha i flew a couple of skippers... Yes that performance (or lack thereof) sounds pretty standard! I flew formation with a 172 and he had to slow down. LOL

There is only two power settings for the Skipper; taxing and flight. I don't know why there is a power table on the POH:rolleyes2:

José

I have a Skipper, and compared to a Cessna 150 or 152 it really leaps off the ground and wants to fly. It always reaches pattern altitude by the turn to downwind, where the Cessna's often never get up there before it's time to descend. Climb rate is only 500 fpm, or 700 fpm if it's cold out. Cruise speeds are slow, around 90 kts. It loses cruise speed in return for a roomy cabin. Overall I'd say it's the best two seat tricycle gear trainer out there. It is a very well built airplane, and easy to fix. I wish more had been sold to create a market for aftermarket parts though! Beech parts are expensive or unobtainable.

I a Tomahawk a couple times back when they were new. They seemed flimsy and cheap back then, and have not improved with age.

Last edited:
Back